JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Apple ARM (Silicon) To App Store Changes...JWLibray integration ?

So, with the new addition of Apple made Processor Chips. As well as the conversion of the App Store into one unified system. Does anyone think JW Library will sync over all data and be available on all devices like it is for some Windows tables and Laptops. Or do you think JWLibrary won’t end up on MACs. I know the branch uses lots of iMacs and iPads but never show the logos when they film videos and parts. If anything It would make sense for them to add it to the ecosystem. Anyone know or have any thoughts about this? Here’s the quote from Apple that’s kinda started this question. Since they are planning on adding all current apps available for IOS Devices to Mac. 

Apple Silicon Macs can run many iPad and iPhone apps as-is, and these apps will be made available to users on the Mac through the Mac App Store. Discover how iPad and iPhone apps run on Apple Silicon Macs, and the factors that make your apps come across better. Learn how to test your app for the Mac, and hear about your options for distribution of your apps.

I feel this question may be more inclined toward emotion than to technical specs for me ... IMHO

Here Downunder I liken it to the perpetual battle between Ford and GM for top spot of the vehicle scene. Both can almost equally do the same stuff within seconds of the finish line.

As for the Mac vs Microsoft tussle, I see a similarity. The Apple suite does almost everything a MS Windows PC can do.
However there is some history here, (that not all will agree with...)
Apple took the world by storm with the iPhone. It captured the world imagination, and and the Mac/PC division was kept alive. It had been lagging well behind the MS Windows/PC market share.
The phone took the world by storm, however the Mac has not had the same success. I believe for this reason the program has not been ported on to the Mac. It does not have a great market share outside the US.
So let us be clear: to write the program for the Mac OS would require a big investment of time. Many in the US would rejoice, but I do not think it would make much impact overall worldwide.
Now, Apple is changing its CPU to go in a new direction. It is a risky move. The Society may embrace the change, but I could also see it waiting to see how it pans out - that may be a prudent move.
I remember the Windows Phones (which I liked), ran the WT DVD from the phone. Then MS Windows for phones changed substantially. The WT program no longer worked. In time, the 'Windows' OS for mobile devices disappeared. The Society did not lose any time or resources to keep upto date, with what turned out to be a dying OS. It was wise to wait.

Long answer short: Time will tell. It would be prudent to wait.

Old (Downunder) Tone

JW Library doesn't use syncing as far as I am aware, only manual backups and restores? From what I have watched and read, Apple plans to make all iOS apps available on MacOS. But that is irrelevant to JW Library's functionality. It's like how you can run the Android version of JW Library on most new Chromebooks.

11 hours ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

I feel this question may be more inclined toward emotion than to technical specs for me ... IMHO

Here Downunder I liken it to the perpetual battle between Ford and GM for top spot of the vehicle scene. Both can almost equally do the same stuff within seconds of the finish line.

As for the Mac vs Microsoft tussle, I see a similarity. The Apple suite does almost everything a MS Windows PC can do.
However there is some history here, (that not all will agree with...)
Apple took the world by storm with the iPhone. It captured the world imagination, and and the Mac/PC division was kept alive. It had been lagging well behind the MS Windows/PC market share.
The phone took the world by storm, however the Mac has not had the same success. I believe for this reason the program has not been ported on to the Mac. It does not have a great market share outside the US.
So let us be clear: to write the program for the Mac OS would require a big investment of time. Many in the US would rejoice, but I do not think it would make much impact overall worldwide.
Now, Apple is changing its CPU to go in a new direction. It is a risky move. The Society may embrace the change, but I could also see it waiting to see how it pans out - that may be a prudent move.
I remember the Windows Phones (which I liked), ran the WT DVD from the phone. Then MS Windows for phones changed substantially. The WT program no longer worked. In time, the 'Windows' OS for mobile devices disappeared. The Society did not lose any time or resources to keep upto date, with what turned out to be a dying OS. It was wise to wait.

Long answer short: Time will tell. It would be prudent to wait.

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

It would just be the same application available on The IPad and IPhone they would just have to add the syncing option similar to PC. So they don’t aged to necessarily write JW Library in MacOS. The whole reason why they are changing the CPU is for security. I wasn’t aware that Apple wasn’t big in Australia...Also Ford and GM? Never liked there stuff, always had issues with there transmissions and engines. 

Lol. It's not about what works well, but it's about market share and emotions...
When you say CPU change is about security, and would it not be better to tighten security than do a brain transplant?
I think it is about price. They are following Samsung's business model: make your own CPU. 1 less supplier to worry about.... e14fb6675729b1391ce2f3061b843204.jpg

Old (Downunder) Tone

JW Library doesn't use syncing as far as I am aware, only manual backups...

It is correct that syncing is a seperate issue. This is not dependant on OS or device.
I can backup from either Win PC or Android - and I can open it with either device.
But as noted above, 'backup/restore' overwrites previous data. It does not 'sync' the data. A program called JW Merge will do this. But this only runs on Windows PC's...

Old (Downunder) Tone