JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

iPad to Google TV | JW Broadcasting?

Hello.

I’ve recently purchased a Google TV so I could stop plugging my iPad directly into the TV. It works great with everything, but I don’t see any way to cast JW.ORG. I only now see that there isn’t an official app for Google TV. Safari doesn’t seem to have any built in chromecast ability either. 

Any suggestions? 

On 1/12/2021 at 3:54 AM, 1MKnight said:

Hello.

I’ve recently purchased a Google TV so I could stop plugging my iPad directly into the TV. It works great with everything, but I don’t see any way to cast JW.ORG. I only now see that there isn’t an official app for Google TV. Safari doesn’t seem to have any built in chromecast ability either. 

Any suggestions? 

Install chrome on the TV. That way you can visit any website, including jw.org so that you can watch whatever you wish

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Install chrome on the TV

That might work to. I can’t test that. I just know I’ve been able to cast from certain apps on iPhone, including VLC, but only a few apps.

it’s more common now that you find new TVs that have both casting and AirPlay built in; then there’s no issue with JW Library on an iPad: you simply AirPlay the content to the TV. You can even mirror your whole display if you wanted to put the text of JW Library up.

If the tv doesn’t have AirPlay built in, you can add it for cheap by purchasing a new Roku. Even the cheapest (but latest) Roku models have AirPlay now. 

59 minutes ago, jwhess said:

My Roku has its own JW.ORG broadcasting channel.  I don't need another device or ability to cast.

Mine too, but I can't remember how it got it there. Weren't there some instructions on how to connect? 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 hours ago, Old said:

Mine too, but I can't remember how it got it there. Weren't there some instructions on how to connect? 

As I recall, you turn on your Roku, sign in (if necessary), and load the channel the same way you ould buy or choose another commercial channel. Once loaded, I just click on the icon and it pops up ready to view.

4 hours ago, jwhess said:

My Roku has its own JW Broadcasting channel.

Not all the multimedia content from jw.org is there unfortunately. Other times, it shows up but delayed. 

casting and airplay allows your TV to connect to the full internet (all of jw.org)

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Not all the multimedia content from jw.org is there unfortunately. Other times, it shows up but delayed. 

casting and airplay allows your TV to connect to the full internet (all of jw.org)

I know the age of the Roku has some effect.  The Channel was designed when JW Broadcasting was a separate place..

On 1/11/2021 at 2:32 PM, Brandon said:

Download VLC app onto your iPad. It includes casting to Google chromecast-capable devices. 

Thanks. I do have VLC on my tablet. I assume all I’m able to do is download media from jw.org onto my tablet, then cast it with VLC. 

On 1/11/2021 at 9:07 PM, jwhess said:

Would using Google Chrome as a browser instead of Safari work?  I don't know.

I tried using Chrome on my tablet, but it doesn’t give me a “cast” option anywhere. Not in the video or in the browser itself. 

19 hours ago, Jay said:

Install chrome on the TV. That way you can visit any website, including jw.org so that you can watch whatever you wish

That sounds like it would work, but Chrome doesn’t seem to be available on the Google T.V. Chromecast yet. There is some “Puffin” browser. It’s not ideal though.

I’ve tried adding “Airplay” apps to the chromecast, and they sort of work, but they all seem to have ads. 

1 hour ago, 1MKnight said:

I assume all I’m able to do is download media from jw.org onto my tablet, then cast it with VLC. 

You don’t have to download it first. Just copy the link and choose ‘open network stream’ option in VLC. Paste and cast. No pre-downloading required. 

20 hours ago, Brandon said:

You don’t have to download it first. Just copy the link and choose ‘open network stream’ option in VLC. Paste and cast. No pre-downloading required. 

Ahh, after some fiddling i figured out what you mean (i think, but it works). Copying the address of the downloadable file into the stream worked. takes a while, but still good. Thanks 🙂👍

21 hours ago, Jay said:

@1MKnight I don't understand what you mean by a Google TV. I was answering it from the perspective of an android TV

Google has a product called “Chromecast with Google T.V.” it’s their newest chromecast. my understanding is that “Google T.V.” it is built on Android t.v., but is more restricted than the default.