JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2013 NWT Mobi file

Does anyone still have the 2013 NWT MOBI file?  I recently purchased a Kindle Paperwhite and would love to have the NWT Bible on it.  I have tried to convert the ePub using Calibre, but it does not work.  The PDF available on the website works, but is very small on the screen.  If anyone has it, would they be willing to share the file?  Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, Jdb483 said:

Does anyone still have the 2013 NWT MOBI file?  I recently purchased a Kindle Paperwhite and would love to have the NWT Bible on it.  I have tried to convert the ePub using Calibre, but it does not work.  The PDF available on the website works, but is very small on the screen.  If anyone has it, would they be willing to share the file?  Thanks in advance!

Hi Joel. I'm afraid I don't have the file, but I will have a look at converting it from ePub. usually ePub to Mobi conversion is quite straightforward, they are very similar formats.

If someone else sends you the file in the meantime, please tell us.

Edited by carlos

HI Carlos, thanks for the reply.  I attempted to do that conversion.  The problem with converting is how the ePub has links.  My Kindle just gives me an error every time I try to open it up.  Maybe there is another conversion program I should try...I will investigate.  If you have success with converting it, by all means please let me know.  

I just love reading on my Kindle and it is much more portable, especially for reading outdoors.  We love to go to the park and just read.  Thanks for your help on this and thanks for all your work on this site!

I converted the ePub file into Mobi.

The good part is that it works. The text looks nice and footnotes work fine.

The bad part is that Bible references and other links don't work. Instead, they freeze the app I use to open them.

Well, I can edit the ePub file and remove the references, but I'm not sure of how useful that would be for you then.

• 2 months later...
On 2/22/2021 at 9:45 AM, carlos said:

The bad part is that Bible references and other links don't work. Instead, they freeze the app I use to open them.

Well, I can edit the ePub file and remove the references, but I'm not sure of how useful that would be for you then.

Carlos, would you be able to do this for the Spanish version of the revised NWT? I just bought a Kindle Paperwhite and would like to do my bible reading on it. 

On 2/22/2021 at 10:45 AM, carlos said:

Thanks for trying...

On 2/20/2021 at 4:16 PM, Brandon said:

I’d recommend anyone thinking of buying a Kindle to instead buy a Kobo: it supports ePub files and even has a web browser to download them directly from the website. 

I just bought a kindle also (the oasis which is double the speed of all others). After watching several review videos I decided to avoid the kobo as that advantage (native opening of EPUB's) is the only one. 

The kindle software is much better, the availability of books is also better on kindle (if you, like me, want to read general novels). Also,if you're not a native speaker of the book language you something unique to kindle which is the automatic translation of some difficult terms within the book itself without going to a dictionary.

Also, the kobos have a sunkeen display which accumulates dust and is more prone to damage

All and all my choice was for the kindle (the oasis over the paperwhite was for the speed and the page turn buttons)

As for our publications they work great on the kindle after translation (epub, pdf) or directly (pdf). The translation of pdf makes it "flowable", that is, we can zoom and it changes the page format making it fully visible without panning. The links all work in the pdf also, even the bible

For converting epub to mobi there are several options because kindle format has evolved. The better results are with zw8 conversion not "mobi" which is the most basic version

3 hours ago, jayrtom said:

After watching several review videos I decided to avoid the kobo as that advantage (native opening of EPUB's) is the only one. 

I understand you have bought the device that fits your needs better. But IMO being able to open EPUBs is a huge advantage that exceeds all the others. EPUB is standard. Anyone can open an EPUB file and modify it, for example to correct an error. I find EPUBs I buy often have defective color patterns that don't work well in dark mode. No problem, I can open them and modify the colors to my liking. You can also very easily create your own EPUBs.

MOBI and AZW3, on the other hand, are intractable. After all, that's why Amazon created them, so that users cannot modify anything. :)

I would never buy a bookreader which doesn't support EPUB. But I have read somewhere that the Kindle can be jailbroken, and then you can install a different app which does support EPUBs. For me that would be the best of both worlds. You don't lose the original reader but have an alternative EPUB-enabled reader too.

31 minutes ago, carlos said:

I understand you have bought the device that fits your needs better. But IMO being able to open EPUBs is a huge advantage that exceeds all the others. EPUB is standard. Anyone can open an EPUB file and modify it, for example to correct an error. I find EPUBs I buy often have defective color patterns that don't work well in dark mode. No problem, I can open them and modify the colors to my liking. You can also very easily create your own EPUBs.

MOBI and AZW3, on the other hand, are intractable. After all, that's why Amazon created them, so that users cannot modify anything. :)

I would never buy a bookreader which doesn't support EPUB. But I have read somewhere that the Kindle can be jailbroken, and then you can install a different app which does support EPUBs. For me that would be the best of both worlds. You don't lose the original reader but have an alternative EPUB-enabled reader too.

Yes, for me the kindle is the best option. I also own several kindle books that I wouldn't be able to read on the kobo. You can also read epubs on the kindle, it's just necessary to convert them to the kindle format which is easy. I also have several epub and pdf books that I read on a kindle without any problem.

I forgot to mention that the pdf reader of the kindle is also much superior to the one on the kobo. You can highlight text, search for it, see a dictionary, etc... on the kobo it just appears as an image 

Off course if you want to use the installed browser (very bad) to download epubs directly to the device, the kobo is the way to go

Any ebook bible is also perfect to use on the preaching work as the screen of those devices is allways perfectly seen even if under sunlight. It also looks just like paper and the battery just goes on and on and on

It's clear I love this device :)

There is a jaylbraking methode for the parperwhite but for a specific version of the software, which is always updating. If you plan on jaylbreaking just go with the kobo, The hassle is just to much for the advantage

Edited by jayrtom

On 2/22/2021 at 10:45 AM, carlos said:

Are you able to send me the mobi file to try?  Thanks in advance!  I've been using the pdf, which is fine, unless you need to skip around then it's not very useful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 8:30 AM, jayrtom said:

Any ebook bible is also perfect to use on the preaching work as the screen of those devices is allways perfectly seen even if under sunlight. It also looks just like paper and the battery just goes on and on and on

It's clear I love this device :)

Agree 💯 I’m very surprised at how clear the screen is in direct sunlight.