JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Apple Pencil 2 or alternative pencil?

I would like to buy an Ipad Air 4 with stylus. Since my wife not only underlines in the JW library app, but also takes notes at talks, a pen should be included. Are there any inexpensive alternatives to the Pencil 2 that you can recommend for this application or is it worth taking the Apple Pencil 2 in any case?

Edited by fibrecat

20 hours ago, fibrecat said:

I would like to buy an Ipad Air 4 with stylus. Since my wife not only underlines in the JW library app, but also takes notes at talks, a pen should be included. Are there any inexpensive alternatives to the Pencil 2 that you can recommend for this application or is it worth taking the Apple Pencil 2 in any case?

Hi Ruben,

A while back I was looking for the same thing as you, a less expensive stylus for iPad. Eventually I decided on the stylus below, it is now around just $20(and there may be checkmark box for a small discount). It has a “power” button that makes a strong connection with the iPad which allows for more detailed and smaller writing. I am not an artist, so I am not sure how good it is for drawing, but I just used this right now for highlighting some words in a verse on the JW Library and it worked good.  Then I created a “note” from the highlighting of those words and in the note I “wrote” with the pen in the note box instead of typing like I usually do. When I finished writing each word with this stylus, the iPad converted my writing into type!  

The pen has to be charged but the charge can last 18-20hrs straight. I don’t use this stylus very often and I haven’t had to charge it for many months. So I am happy with it, I hope my explanations help a little. I am using an iPad Pro so I don’t know if the iPad Air 4 will react the same, but here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082M1X1XT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.thumb.jpeg.8556de5d4f772f0b829b30afefd142b3.jpeg

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

11 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Hi Ruben,

A while back I was looking for the same thing as you, a less expensive stylus for iPad. Eventually I decided on the stylus below, it is now around just $20(and there may be checkmark box for a small discount). It has a “power” button that makes a strong connection with the iPad which allows for more detailed and smaller writing. I am not an artist, so I am not sure how good it is for drawing, but I just used this right now for highlighting some words in a verse on the JW Library and it worked good.  Then I created a “note” from the highlighting of those words and in the note I “wrote” with the pen in the note box instead of typing like I usually do. When I finished writing each word with this stylus, the iPad converted my writing into type!  

The pen has to be charged but the charge can last 18-20hrs straight. I don’t use this stylus very often and I haven’t had to charge it for many months. So I am happy with it, I hope my explanations help a little. I am using an iPad Pro so I don’t know if the iPad Air 4 will react the same, but here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082M1X1XT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.thumb.jpeg.8556de5d4f772f0b829b30afefd142b3.jpeg

Wow that's great!  Whenever my Pencil 2 dies I will be looking into this.  

Is it a little bulky?  In the "drafting" part of the picture above it seems to be somewhat hefty.  That's one reason I got the Pencil 2; my hands are relatively small and the Apple one is pretty much the size of a regular pencil and more comfortable.  

6 hours ago, LRJW said:

Is it a little bulky?  In the "drafting" part of the picture above it seems to be somewhat hefty.  That's one reason I got the Pencil 2; my hands are relatively small and the Apple one is pretty much the size of a regular pencil and more comfortable.  

Hi Luis,

Yes, I agree, the Apple Pencil is lighter and is more like a pencil. This MECO stylus I bought is a little wider and heavier than the Apple Pencil. If I was an artist or worked on projects that involved using a stylus all day and day after day, then maybe the difference in size/weight of the MECO stylus would be a little tiring. But for highlighting in the Bible and taking notes, I don’t think this stylus would get tiring. Here are a few pictures that might be helpful, this is a comparison with the “Logitech Crayon” that many people have purchased because of it being a less expensive stylus than the Apple Pencil.

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.7b520e5e9f0233e6e0ae0954f577a9bc.jpeg

Well I just learned that this company MECO made another stylus and it looks closer to the size of the Apple Pencil and the price is only a little more at $24. So here is a picture and link below, maybe this would be better for those who like a smaller/lighter stylus. Sorry I didn’t know about this newer stylus.

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

13 hours ago, fibrecat said:

Neil,
thanks for the detailed, helpful information. It looks like the second pen is from a different manufacturer. Meco and Meko.
The Meco is unfortunately only available to order from US (customs fees...). The Meko is probably no longer available.

Hi Ruben,

Yes you are right, I didn’t even notice the difference of Meco and Meko, 2 different companies, thanks for catching that and I apologize to everyone. :(

I just thought MECO developed a newer stylus. Thanks Ruben (tu)

Hi Neil,

don't worry. Your experience is very helpful. Your experience is very helpful. I think I will order the Meco. I just have to find out if it is compatible with the iPad Air 4. The charging option directly on the tablet with the iPad Air is of course very smart. But I'm not sure yet if it's worth almost $100 to me. Thanks for your information and have a nice weekend,
Ruben