JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How many languages do you speak?

Actually, I have a friend serving in a Russian congregation in Southern Spain who has learnt the language almost perfectly. He went to a job interview in a hotel, and since his curriculum said he spoke Russian and English (lots of Russian tourists in that area of Spain), his interviewer was Russian. She shook her head and said "No one can master Russian unless he's a native speaker". However, after the interview that person had changed her mind was deeply impressed. And he obtained the job!

Edited by cvillarrubia

Carlos, your friend must be a genius.☺I agree Russian is not the easiest language.But it depends.For example, if you are Ukrainian studying Russian will not be a big problem for you.(I don't think there are Ukrainians not speaking Russian at all). The first COs in Russia were Polish and they spoke Russian very well. But if your native language differs from Russian very much it will be very difficult for you.But still possible, with Jehovah's spirit!

• 1 month later...

English, Russian (learned that from my wife), ASL & Spanish (not as good as I used to when my family lived in California growing up, now I've been back in Canada for over 25 years)!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

English, Italian and Greek, with high-school French.  Would love to learn Russian/Spanish/Japanese - but that is on the backburner for now.

Never underestimate how your smattering of other languages you have can be used by Jehovah.  Not long after I finished high-school, I was pioneering and met an old man from Vietnam.  He couldn't speak English, I couldn't speak Vietnamese.  But we could both speak French (he grew up when Vietnam was part of Indochine and a French colony).  He was my very first Bible study, and I placed my first subscription with him.  And my French was very basic. I passed him on to a more qualified brother.  But it felt very good to be part of this man's journey finding the truth.

We have a French group in Perth, which I try to attend so as to keep up my French.  I can give basic answers, and can give a basic witness.  I let Jehovah do the rest.  We have a growing French-speaking territory, mainly Africans as well Mauritius and Seychelles.