JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Microsoft Surface Studio Laptop

I cracked the screen on my Surface Pro 3 last year and have been stuck using it as a desktop. It struggles with Zoom and to power my 4k monitor. I was waiting to see what Surface 8 would bring, but then they announced this 2-n-1 hybrid device...

studio.jpg

... so I ordered one to give it a try. I think I'm gonna like it a lot. But if not, I can return it and just go with the Surface Pro 8.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I know a lot of digital artists loved the Surface Studio line, so I expect it will be solid and be able to do everything well. Acer and HP have some comparable modern offerings in the laptop form factor with hinged screen. I've got a Lenovo Chromebook Duet 2-in-1, almost never use the keyboard with it as I have a desktop and laptop for those use cases, but it has USI stylus support and wonderful as a tablet. Hope the Surface works out well, you'll definitely enjoy using it.

I've been using the Surface Pro 3 since 2014 (?). I love it very much. It was convenient to doodle on, have customers sign contracts, sign PDF's etc, and of course take to meetings. All until I cracked that screen that is.

It wasn't powerful enough to edit video though, which I learned during one of my YouTube stints. Nor was it good for music production using Ableton software. So I had to use a desktop for that, which I eventually gave to my son to use for gaming.  So I wanted something with power when I needed it, but I still love the tablet form factor and the pen.  I looked into getting a 2-n-1 but hated feeling the keys under my fingers when I flipped it around into tablet mode. This new device looks to marry the laptop and tablet in a unique way and I won't feel the keys the way this folds down. It should have power when I need it (rare).

I get 60 days to play with it. If I decide it's not for me I'll swap it for a Surface Pro 8

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!