JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Travelling Mexico

My wife and I had the privilege of serving in Mexico for 3 years.  We travelled from Australia and at first met up with a friend we knew from Australia who was living there. 

Has anyone had experience of travelling that colourful country, and meeting the warm people who live there?

8 hours ago, Tortuga said:

What part of Mexico were you in?

For the first 12 months we served in the Lake Chapala area, in Jocotepec English cong. We loved this area, the scenery, the beautiful climate and the charm of it.  We came to really love our Mexican brothers.  

After 12 months, we were asked to move into Guadalajara city to help out as an elder, so they could split one of the English congregations. Of course it was totally different from the more rural area of Lake Chapala.

We served in Guadalajara for 2 years, and then reluctantly had to return to Australia due to some health issues.

We lived in Tamaulipas for about 7 years, and left to come back to the US in 2016. We were in the English group in Ciudad Mante for a few of those years, until it was closed when the English was reorganized. We weren't exactly there for the need (my husband is from there), but we were glad to be able to be where the need was! :) We still miss the banana leaf tamales.

My dear wife and I loved serving in Mexico.  If we had been a bit younger and in better health, we would have improved our Spanish and gone into the Spanish field, because that was where it was all happening.  The English field was winding down in 2014. But at least my wife was able to help a Mexican sister to the point of baptism, and we made such wonderful friends over there!

My dear wife and I loved serving in Mexico.  If we had been a bit younger and in better health, we would have improved our Spanish and gone into the Spanish field, because that was where it was all happening.  The English field was winding down in 2014. But at least my wife was able to help a Mexican sister to the point of baptism, and we made such wonderful friends over there!

I am curious, Lucy.. Where are you down under?  I am in Coffs Harbour.

Your photos reminded me of such a beautiful time we had with the brothers in Japan.

My dear wife Lyn and I travelled to Japan in 2016.  We had met a Japanese sister while serving in Mexico.  So when we decided to visit Japan we were able to stay with her and her pioneer partner for 10 days before we travelled around Japan on oiur own.

We met Hiroko off the plane and then we went by ferry to the island of Tsushima.. Hiroko and her husband (they were courting while we with them, but in full denial anything was going on at the time!) are serving as "need greaters" on Tsushima.  The island is 150 kms from the mainland and 50 kms from Korea.. It is part of Japan although close to Korea. Such a beautiful , quiet , peaceful place!  You could even see the lights come on in the cities in Korea from one side of the island.

We were able to go witnessing with the friends over there.  Such a wonderful privilege.

The friends in Tsushima are near and dear to me.  The Japanese friends are such beautiful ,gentle people.

• 3 weeks later...

As my wife and I were fortunate to be able to travel in the past, we had some good experiences. 

Some were quite amusing, and puzzling to onlookers.

While in Spain on a bus trip, we met two Afro-American sisters from Arizona, and of course, we associated a lot with them.

Most of the ones on tour were Australians on our particular bus.

And at the end of the trip, we were up at the end of the bus , exchanging addresses, saying our good-byes and hugging each other, and you could see the puzzled look on the passengers wondering.   ."With everyone on the bus, how come you are on such good terms with these people from a totally different background?" 

Such is being part of our beautiful worldwide family!

Another amusing situation developed on one of our bus trips in Europe.

As is the case on these trips , you can't completely not associate with unbelievers. Two particular women from Australia seemed to latch on to my wife and myself , following us around to the point of annoyance. Once while having a meal together in an hotel, they made the comment ,that we seemed different, so friendly and nice. (as Witnesses are)  

So I remarked," That is probably because we are Jehovah's Witnesses and try to apply Bible principles in our life."

Well, after that we were not bothered by them.  We would be on one side of a street, and they would walk on the other!