JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Anyone from Barcelona, Spain?

I normally use a Lonely Planet guide book but occasionally I do a search on Tripadvisor forum.

One entry : https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k13753200-o10-Questions_for_first_time_visitor_please-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Spoiler

My pastry recommendations are about 3 years out of date, but I loved Bubo (just in front of Santa Maria del Mar in El Born) and Hofmann (also in El Born, on Flassaders). Both are wonderful! Other places we enjoyed (just not quite as much) included Escriba, on Las Ramblas, Demasie on Princesa, Oriol Balaguer near the Born Cultural Center, Sils Cakes in Gracia, and Chok on c/Carme. And for breakfast pastries, check out the Baluard outlets, including Praktik Bakery Hotel (yes, a bakery that takes over the lobby of the hotel!). All in all, many different styles. And for gelato, don’t miss Gelaaati di Marco and OGGI.

I can’t say that I find museums to be relaxing, but the Museum of the History of Barcelona takes you under the city to Roman and Visigoth ruins, and is worthwhile. The Mares Museum is an interesting amalgam with two floors of religious art, a floor and a half of every day items collected in great detail, and the sculptor’s own studio. And the MNAC and Picasso Museum are also worthwhile.

You could post a query on the forum or wait for some local brothers to answer your pertinent questions.

Have a wonderful time. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k13733150-Pick_pocketing_in_Barcelona-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

a few pieces of advise from TA members

Wear a neck wallet or money belt under your clothing and in it keep important documents like your passport, drivers license, credit cards, and large bills. Make photocopies of your passport, drivers license and credit cards and keep these copies in a secure place (like deep within your luggage) that you would have access to if you needed to cancel your cards or get a new passport. Never carry a wallet or cell phone in your rear pants pocket. I often wear a coat with an interior zippered pocket that I place my phone into. Don't wear expensive jewelry while traveling; you'll only attract the wrong kind of attention. The areas to be most mindful of your surroundings are of course the places that tourists most frequent, plus the Metro or buses, especially if they are crowded. If you can, avoid standing near the entrance of a subway car where someone could more easily grab your bag and run off the train just as the doors close. Consider buying a bag (from a company like Pacsafe) that has a slashproof strap and locking zippers. Keep your handbag/purse in front of you at all times, slung crosswise over your body; never hang it on the back of your chair in a restaurant. Avoid bringing an obviously expensive camera. Pickpockets are good at their jobs, and they can look like anyone. Even travel guru Rick Steves got pickpocketed in Paris a few years ago (you can google stories about it), so don't beat yourself up it if happens to you.

Spoiler

I don't think cameras are a big deal these days. They are too bulky. Phones are what thieves are after. If you sit outside, it's best not to leave your phone unattended on the table. A thief might use a distraction trick (such as asking you to sign some petition) and then swipe it.

A Barcelona local : 

https://www.elperiodico.com/es/barcelona/20190718/cambio-codigo-penal-mutirreincidencia-robos-hurtos-barcelona-comercio-turismo-vecinos-inseguridad-7559620   July 19, 2019

In simple terms, pick-pockets operate with almost complete impunity in Barcelona.

The 31% increase in robberies in Barcelona triggers the outcry against impunity for thieves

Edited by happiness IS

I don't live in Barcelona but have visited it several times.

Most places will be closed on December 25 and January 1st (and the previous evenings!). But aside of those days, everything should be open. Due to the pandemic nightclubs and discos are closed but I don't think that will be a problem for you. :) From a couple days ago masks are compulsory also outdoors. I think there is a curfew in Barcelona from 1 to 6 AM. Besides, a covid vaccination certificate is required to go inside most places, from museums to restaurants (but you can eat outside if you don't have it, many terraces have fire stoves).

My favorite area is the Barrio Gótico. From the Plaça de Catalunya take the main road, the Rambla, that ends by the sea. The whole street is busy and nice. The area to the left of that street is the Barrio Gótico, the old city. Narrow and twisting streets with old buildings and surprises after every corner. You can even find the ruins of a Roman temple in the courtyard of an apartments building! That same area is where the old cathedral, the Seu, is found. The port area where the Rambla ends is very nice too.

The Barceloneta neighborhood is perfect to enjoy the beach, even if the weather is too cold for swimming. In its origins it was a fishermen town, today it's a very lively tourist area well worth a visit. You can have dinner in one of its many cafes with a view to the sea.

Of course the new and most famous cathedral, the Sagrada Familia, the symbol of the city, is a must-see. Even if you prefer not to go inside, it's worth viewing from outside. Its shape is so strange and different from any other cathedral you may have seen. As many other buildings and places, even streetlamps, in Barcelona it was projected by the famous architect, Antoni GaudĂ­.

Some years ago we had a convention in Barcelona and our hotel was in the Horta neighborhood, close to the assembly hall (at the time). That is a residential area farther from Barcelona downtown. I found it to be a very nice area, with many villas and old houses. It has a very particular neighborhood identity, where you get the impression that everybody knows everybody and people like to stop and talk to each other in the street. It's not a tourist area but I loved it too. More like the Real Barcelona.

Enjoy your trip!

1 hour ago, blueyellow said:

not sure what's open and what isn't.

Generally most places of interest are opened most days except on public holidays. You can check the individual websites for opening hours. There will one day in a week when they will be closed, perhaps on a Monday.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k13763788-Three_Kings_Day-Barcelona_Catalonia.html  20 Dec. 2021

...with today's announcements regarding social gatherings (limited to 10 people) and a curfew (1am to 6am) , and sports and cultural venues to be limited to 50% of capacity)  because of the rapid spread of the omicron strain of the covid-19 virus, the possibility that the main, citywide cabalgata, [which is a spectacular event] and local cabalgatas, will go ahead as planned is not looking so good.

At this point in time all anyone can say — is watch this space, keep tuned to reliable local sources, limit social contacts, keep wearing your mask, get your booster vaccine.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187497-c105837/Barcelona:Spain:The.Best.Sights.Of.Barcelona.html

1. Basilica of the Sagrada Familia

Spoiler

The real name of the church is the Expiatory Church of La Sagrada FamĂ­lia. The first architect for the church was Francesc de Paula del Villar and he started the construction in 1882. GaudĂ­ was given the job in 1883 and he continued to work on the project until his tragic death in 1926. Different architects have worked on it since then. There is a foundation that runs the project. The church is expiatory, meaning that it is being constructed to atone for wrongdoing or guilt, so the financing of the church is completely private. The admission charge paid by two and a half million visitors each year is what pays for the building construction. It is thought that it will be completed in the first third of this century.

During his funeral, the city acknowledged that he was their most illustrious architect.

The church was designed to have a total length of 110 m, and a height of 45 m, with twelve towers between 100 and 115 m high. The ground plan is a Gothic basilical plan in the shape of a Latin cross, with five naves connecting with a transept. 3 facades which will represent the Nativity, the Passion and Death, and the Glory of Christ. The 12 towers will symbolize the 12 apostles. 4 monumental bell towers will represent the 4 Evangelists. 2 colossal domes will represent Christ and the Virgin Mary. 

The sculptor Josep Maria Subirachs has been working on the sculptures of the church in his own style for the last 20 years. The church building now represents Barcelona to the whole world and millions visit it to study its architecture. Sagrada Familia video here.

image.png.8687fa3542eb5543e8a0b55be7de0ade.png

2. Park Guell

Count Eusebi Gßell was a prominent industrialist in Barcelona and he decided to build a garden city with 60 houses on a hill called                  Montaùa Pelada (Bare Mountain). The venture was not successful and only two houses were built  and Gßell convinced Gaudí to buy one      of them. This house is now the Casa-Museu Gaudí.

Spoiler

image.png.556f8ac9b6444117a86e363a3e8c746f.png

3. Casa Mila (La Pedrera)

Gaudí built La Pedrera for the prominent Milà Family between 1906 and 1912. This caused a sensation at that time because everything in      the building was curved and undulated. People made fun of it because they did not understand it or its abstract sculpture. The outside          walls were made of stone and reminded people of a quarry, so it was called La Pedrera (meaning stone quarry). The facade is undulating      and has large windows and balconies with elaborate wrought iron railings. There is an inner patio that acts like an air shaft for the building

https://www.barcelonasiempre.com/en/la-pedrera-casa-mila

https://viabam.com/en/barcelona/tours/barcelona-pass-BCN00208

@carlos, muchas gracias para tu respuesta.

Twenty years ago I took a course in Spanish Art with an old and kind Spanish teacher and since then I've been dreaming about seeing Gaudi's art in Barcelona.

Thank you for the tips.

@happiness IS, thank you for your replies.

I was hoping for an answer from a local, preferably a sister/bro, that's why Google wasn't enough.

And as usual, I'll wear my jw.org pin on my bag. This sometimes makes sisters approach me. It is always nice to make new friends while traveling. ☺️

You will love Barcelona. Been there twice and the memories visiting the city and visiting the local brothers and sisters were unforgettable. One word of caution, if if there are any street shows, beware of pick pocketers. Someone took my walket from my small backpack during a street show. Also one time I left my bag on top of the restaurant table where we were with a group of friends, and someone took it without anyone noticing anything.

Aside from all those sites Carlos mentioned, the local brothers and sisters took me to an evening event of fountain and lights show with Freddy Mercury music playing in the background. I don’t know if they still have this event, but it was an absolutely incredible, unforgettable experience. Actually everything about Barcelona was incredible, the beaches, meeting the friends and all the activities we did. Truly hospitable brothers!! But don’t know how it is now with corona virus…

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

1 hour ago, Woanders said:

the local brothers and sisters took me to an evening event of fountain and lights show with Freddy Mercury music playing in the background. I don’t know if they still have this event, but it was an absolutely incredible, unforgettable experience.

Yes, that's the Fuente Mågica at Montjuïc. It's a wonderful spectacle. But I didn't mention it because it's suspended due to covid. :(

Your advice about pickpockets is very opportune. Being cautious with your belongings is something we take for granted but it's true that it's an important reminder for visitors from better behaved areas. :) Despite this, Barcelona it's reasonably safe for tourists. I'm sorry that you were robbed twice.

42 minutes ago, carlos said:

Yes, that's the Fuente Mågica at Montjuïc. It's a wonderful spectacle. But I didn't mention it because it's suspended due to covid. :(

The time I visited Barcelona the first time, a sister in the group didn’t know how to speak English nor I Spanish, but she kept trying to tell me something spectacular about Freddy Mercury, which I didn’t quite understand. By the end of my trip, I think it was the last night I was there, we went as a group to the fountains. As we were standing outside suddenly the lights, fountains and music went on. 😲🤩I was just floored…now I understood what she meant. I turned to her and gave her my aha gesture and was just in awe and was so thankful to be there and be around such a great group of brothers and sisters. They really showed me what it meant to be hospitable. I even extended my trip by 2 days there and missed my flight to Paris just to be around them more. That resulted in them giving me a going away dance party for me, though I only spent just over a week there. Lol  Oh man, memories. The only thing I regret was not visiting the Picasso museum, but there was already alot going on when I was there. I went back there a second time on my honeymoon vacation as we were traveling around Spain - Peniscola, Castellon, Barcelona…absolutely loved Spain!!

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

Its a nice question to ask if you are planing to visite a place you are not familiar with since the world is generally unsafe,also because you need someone to take you around town and show you places.

from the comments ive seen it doesnt look like anyone here lives in Barcelona.I only know a nigerian brother who used to live there but he moved to montreal canada.

But there are three very good ideas on how you can get connected with our brothers and sisters living there.

First,someone here who knows a brother or sister over there can connect you with them.

secondly,you can use Jw.org to get the phone nos of congregation elders in Barcelona.they can help you meet with  the brothers and sisters over there.

Thirdly,you can wait until you get to Barcelona,then you can try to locate the Kingdom Halls nearby to your hotel.but since the Halls are closed now due to covid,you can ask people who live close to the KH to direct you to any Jehovah's witness in the neighbourhood.usually there will be some brothers who live close to where the KH Is situated.

16 minutes ago, Ishaya said:

Im not sure how safe it is in Barcelona currently, since the agitation for the state of catalonia has caused alot of protests.

ive been watching these protests on tv.

It should be reasonably safe. There were some protests and riots several months ago but the situation has calmed down since. :)

19 minutes ago, Ishaya said:

First,someone here who knows a brother or sister over there can connect you with them.

I have some friends there but I am not sure of how comfortable they feel going out in view of the huge increase of covid cases in the last few days. So I preferred not to put them in an uncomfortable situation.

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping up this thread. I got the opportunity to get away to Barcelona next month. I found a great deal on a flight, used some credit card miles, and RT airfare + 4 nights hotel is costing me $300 total! I'm so pleased with myself. 🤓 I have already connected with some sisters over there through friends from my old congregation and I'm so excited. Is there still no one on here from Barcelona?

On 12/27/2021 at 9:27 PM, Ishaya said:

you need someone to take you around town and show you places.

For me, I prefer to do my own research using travel guides (Lonely planet books etc) or consult Tripadvisor travel forums. I did this quite successfully with my 3 trips to Australia. Booked my stays with Airbnb with a very good prices or  booked for shared rooms at Malaysia Hall. BTW I travel alone and I was then in my late 50's to 60's. I don't really like to trouble our friends from overseas. This kind of independent travel is very invigorating because one has to do a lot of research before hand. No one is there to hold your hand and I found my trips extremely challenging but fun.

I have also done this kind of travelling with my trips to Turkey, China, South Korea, India and South East Asia. Thoroughly enjoyed myself. On occasions I had a travelling companion but I prefer solo trips.

On 1/24/2023 at 2:44 AM, Esined said:

I'm bumping up this thread. I got the opportunity to get away to Barcelona next month. I found a great deal on a flight, used some credit card miles, and RT airfare + 4 nights hotel is costing me $300 total! I'm so pleased with myself. 🤓 I have already connected with some sisters over there through friends from my old congregation and I'm so excited. Is there still no one on here from Barcelona?

I'm not exactly from Barcelona, but since it is my favorite city in the world I've been going there several times per year since 2010! I'm just getting ready for work now, but once I'm back in the evening ill send you a PM with lots of useful hints to enjoy your stay, ok? 

Meanwhile you might want to see some photos to get in the mood?

https://www.chrissy-on-tour.de/galerie433629.html

Chrissy :wave:

Having “walked in and out” of Barcelona like it's my living room for 13 years now (I was just there again last weekend), my work colleagues are always asking me for city tips. After a few years I found it exhausting to always repeat the same things, so I just wrote everything down. Thus, a PDF of about 10 pages was created as a small "travel guide" with many personal insider tips. If you are interested in this Barcelona travel guide (or have specific questions about the city) feel free to send me a PM.

Having “walked in and out” of Barcelona like it's my living room for 13 years now (I was just there again last weekend), my work colleagues are always asking me for city tips. After a few years I found it exhausting to always repeat the same things, so I just wrote everything down. Thus, a PDF of about 10 pages was created as a small "travel guide" with many personal insider tips. If you are interested in this Barcelona travel guide (or have specific questions about the city) feel free to send me a PM.