JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Library won't open

This is a reoccurring problem: Without any warning, JWL goes to the opening screen and then sits with the dots spinning until I close it and try again, but still won't open. I am now getting a Windows message: "Problem starting STARTUPSCAN.DLL, THE SPECIFIED MODULE COULD NOT BE FOUND." I googled the message and found some fixes; jumped through all the hoops, to no avail. This has happened twice before, and it seems that uninstalling/reinstalling is the fix, but this deletes all of my downloads for the app. Has anyone found a fix, or a way to preserve your downloads during a re-install? (Running Windows 10.)

I'm just guessing here: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\WatchtowerBibleandTractSo<bunchanumbers#########>\LocalState
You can try making a backup of the WatchtowerBibleandTractSo- folder and replacing it later if it messes up, perhaps that would work. Music and Video are stored elsewhere.
Perhaps it's a fundamental issue with your Windows installation, and requires a full clean Windows installation from .iso with no bloat or antivirus.

4 hours ago, Tuel said:

I tried all of those solutions, including a repair install of Windows, but none helped. What I really need to know is how to preserve my JW downloads while uninstalling/reinstalling JW Library. Can anyone help with that?

The JW Library app does not have a native way to backup publications and store them.  You can backup notes and bookmarks but not publications.

After trying all of the above I now have the app reinstalled, but stuck in "Searching for new publications" mode (little dots moving across the screen). I have left it in this state for hours with no change. If I try downloading the Daily Text, the selection box disappears but no change in status. (I have uninstalled/reinstalled the app three times.)