JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Using non windows machines

I have seen some asking about JW Library and I know that it only works on Windows machines and android/IOS tablets.

I use Linux and don't worry about JW Library as I use Watchtower Online Library. It seems to work as well as JW Library and may even provide more.

For example it goes back farther than JW Library for older magazines and other things.

I hope this helps as it can save a lot of money if you don't use Windows and avoids all the problems with Windows updates.

Obviously there are many Windows programs which will not work on Linux but usually there are alternatives and it runs well on hardware which is too old for Windows.

I'm all for Linux, especially when refurbishing old computers for friends. Though the majority of the world and developers still design for Windows, so that is the simplest for most. I have mentioned in some threads regarding Linux and JW Library/Watchtower Library that you can always run a free Android virtual machine, regardless of desktop OS. Newer M1 Macs can run the iOS version I hear. I hope that every witness could have access to JW Library in some form or other, because that's what our current ELF study publication features require. Though I use WoL a fair bit too when I'm studying for or following along with the meetings on my PC. At least in the western world, cheap or older Android devices aren't hard to come by.

While WOL has some nice features and additional references, I like being able to access my library even when I am not online - so I like my JWL on my PC and Android phone ... I even keep my WTL as up-to-date as possible 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I have installed Android in Virtualbox and can now run JW Library that way so if I lose my internet connection I can run it still.

I think it's not as good as WOL and even though I have given it 4GB Ram it's a bit slow.

I have been running Linux for over 25 years and using virtualbox for about 15 and didn't find it an easy thing to get working correctly. So I don't think it would help a new Linux user much without help.

Still some silly selections have to be made to get it to boot straight up without going via a menu but it will do.