JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dr. Phil Show employees describe workplace as "traumatizing"

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 808 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A few years ago I learned about Dr. Phil, when he started raising in fame. For some reason I did not like him. Don't know why but something about him wasn't right, so I just avoided watching anything he was on. I knew in my gut that if he wasn't legit all would be revealed in time, time does that. 

Now several news agencies have exposed his alter ego. I have to say this did not surprise me in the least.

https://nypost.com/2022/02/10/about-a-dozen-current-and-former-dr-phil-staffers-have-shared-allegations-of-manipulation-racism-and-abuse-under-the-leadership-of-phil-mcgraw-and-co-executive-producer-carla-pennington/?utm_medium=browser_notifications&utm_source=pushly&utm_campaign=1869620

Edited by Dismal_Bliss

Renamed title so it wasn't so slanderous

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Back, 2004/5 pre marriage I had a worldly net friend. I then was uninterestedly favourable to Dr Phil (he was sometimes on the canteen tv at lunchtime before they got rid of the canteen) but she REALLY liked him. Then one day she PM'd me that she didn't like him anymore, there'd been a couple on where I think the wife was studying with Witnesses and not doing Birthdays etc anymore. Dr Phil was very mean to her and very rude about the Bible and even my atheist leaning worldly friend could see this was wrong.

I've just been waiting the last 16/17 years for it all to come out. I confess to some satisfaction.

3 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

Now several news agencies have exposed his alter ego

But not the one you cited. The article itself said....

"McGraw himself was not directly implicated in any of the anecdotes heard by BuzzFeed"

The expose is actually centered around the alleged bad behavior of executive producer Carla Pennington.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

17 hours ago, Hugh O'D said:

Then one day she PM'd me that she didn't like him anymore, there'd been a couple on where I think the wife was studying with Witnesses and not doing Birthdays etc anymore. Dr Phil was very mean to her and very rude about the Bible and even my atheist leaning worldly friend could see this was wrong.

As far as these daytime commentary / current events programs are concerned, it's a race to the bottom.  They seem to think all their audience wants are salacious controversies, Jerry Springer and Geraldo Rivera style.

When I was a lad in Chicago, we had Phil Donahue.  Somehow, he got wind of the true story of Lillian and William Gobitis (w55, 7/15  pp. 425-428)  He was very impressed with those young ones, standing up to the school and obeying their parents.  He didn't rant-on about patriotism and such.  He respected that the parents were training their children as they believed they should.

Possibly someone could find the interview with Phil Donahue on this topic?

On 2/11/2022 at 3:34 PM, bagwell1987 said:

I really liked Phil Donahue

Cheryl,  there's a YouTube video where he talks about our experience during WWII. When you search Phil Donahue Gobitis.

In it he says he appreciates what we did for the constitution.  Can you post the link?  Everyone would enjoy this video.

3 hours ago, Doug said:

Cheryl,  there's a YouTube video where he talks about our experience during WWII. When you search Phil Donahue Gobitis.

In it he says he appreciates what we did for the constitution.  Can you post the link?  Everyone would enjoy this video.

I found two videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDzcspnPRh0

and a Lillian Gobitas-Klose Interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IMkisSKpE4