JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How to learn English language?

I think the best way to learn a language very fast is to use it very often.unfortunately your environment may not allow you to practice very often in which case you may only have to settle for what you can do.

This has been my experience with learning French.I Love to learn the  french language, but I can't practice it very often since we don't commonly use it in Nigeria.

Something I find very useful is to learn songs by heart. Songs that you like are easy to memorize. And if you translate what the song says, that means you have memorized a lot of vocabulary and expressions. That's basically how I learned English (and still do!).

Watching movies with English subtitles is very helpful too. And now we have monthly broadcastings, GB updates, so we have a lot of material that is useful to learn the language and spiritually encouraging at the same time. Besides, the speakers in those videos make an effort to pronounce clearly.

Absorb yourself in the language and culture. This goes for any language you learn. Learn not only how they speak but also why. Absorb news media in your goal language, absorb our publications, work with a congregation or group that speaks the language. And speak it as much as you possibly can. Put up little notes at home on common household items with the word in the language you are learning, and perhaps a pronunciation aid. When you use it, you say to yourself, “this is a skirt” or “this is a shirt.”

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

My top methods for learning English:
1. Preaching in the game VRChat.
2. Reading the Bible aloud in English while listening to a brother reader. I record this in an audio recording and send it to Telegram, which develops a habit.
3. Watching JW movies, good series and anime in English dubbing and with English subtitles again.

My English is not very good, so if you see my mistakes, please tell me in the DM

7 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Absorb yourself in the language and culture. This goes for any language you learn. Learn not only how they speak but also why. Absorb news media in your goal language, absorb our publications, work with a congregation or group that speaks the language. And speak it as much as you possibly can. Put up little notes at home on common household items with the word in the language you are learning, and perhaps a pronunciation aid. When you use it, you say to yourself, “this is a skirt” or “this is a shirt.”

Johan, how did you learn your English? At school? You speak excellent English, I wouldn't tell you from a native speaker. :)

I've been studying English for several years, and it is still in progress.
At first, I studied English with a Filipino teacher for a year in an online class.
At the same time, I've been using the Duolingo App every day for the past two years.
Touching English every day even for a few minutes has been very helpful to me.
I also watch JW Broadcasting in English while shadowing them.
Of course, reading this site is a good way to train my reading skills😄

• 1 year later...