JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What is your temperament and how is it affecting you?

Temperament is everything!

it affects everything we do and everything about us.from how we use the toothpaste and handwriting  to how we manage a huge multinational company,everything is temperament!

Usually a lot of people simply don't bother to understand themselves and others,we just ignore it and feel its not necessary but this always affect relationships seriously.
Temperament is like resources.when  you understand it,it will work for you and help you to live a productive life and enjoy good relationships with people around you.
When you understand peoples temperament around you,it will prevent you from making 
unfair criticism and faultfinding.
Tim Lahaye did a fine job in naming the various temperaments;phlegmatic,choleric,melancholic and  sanguine. and there are in betweens.

4 hours ago, Ishaya said:

Tim Lahaye did a fine job in naming the various temperaments;phlegmatic,choleric,melancholic and  sanguine. and there are in betweens

I prefer the explanation and choices in the Bible. (Colossians 3:7-10) . . .That is how you too used to conduct yourselves in your former way of life. 8 But now you must put them all away from you: wrath, anger, badness, abusive speech, and obscene talk out of your mouth. 9 Do not lie to one another. Strip off the old personality with its practices, 10 and clothe yourselves with the new personality, which through accurate knowledge is being made new according to the image of the One who created it,

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I prefer the explanation and choices in the Bible. (Colossians 3:7-10) . . .That is how you too used to conduct yourselves in your former way of life. 8 But now you must put them all away from you: wrath, anger, badness, abusive speech, and obscene talk out of your mouth. 9 Do not lie to one another. Strip off the old personality with its practices, 10 and clothe yourselves with the new personality, which through accurate knowledge is being made new according to the image of the One who created it,

From the way i see it,I think temperament is not like a righteousness status.two righteous people can have different temperaments.for example in the congregation we have brothers who talk very little and slowly and some who are very expressive and eloquent and fun to be with.

honestly sometimes I tend  to prefer walking with some brothers in field service than others because some brothers know how to keep it lively and refreshing.same with public talks,some brothers can give a more lively and animated delivery than others.usually choleric and sanguine brothers have more fire and make better and animated delivery than the melancholics.

Temperament is simply a person's usual manner of behaving,thinking or reacting.

I'm not sure why some of the earlier Christians showed preferences between Paul and Appolos but I think temperament played a part in it.we read about appolos;

"Now a Jew named A·pol-
los,a native of Alexandria, arrived in Ephe·sus; he was an eloquent man who was well-versed
in the Scriptures. 25 This man
had been instructed in the way
of Jehovah, and aglow with
the spirit, he was speaking and
teaching accurately the things
about Jesus, but he was acquainted only with the baptism
of John. 26 He began to speak
boldly in the synagogue, and
when Pris·cilla and Aqui·lah
heard him, they took him into
their company and explained the
way of God more accurately
to him."

Our temperament is largely a result of our environmental upbringing and doesn't really have to do with genes,It is acquired trait.

20 hours ago, Ishaya said:

Temperament is everything!

it affects everything we do and everything about us.from how we use the toothpaste and handwriting  to how we manage a huge multinational company,everything is temperament!

Usually a lot of people simply don't bother to understand themselves and others,we just ignore it and feel its not necessary but this always affect relationships seriously.
Temperament is like resources.when  you understand it,it will work for you and help you to live a productive life and enjoy good relationships with people around you.
When you understand peoples temperament around you,it will prevent you from making 
unfair criticism and faultfinding.
Tim Lahaye did a fine job in naming the various temperaments;phlegmatic,choleric,melancholic and  sanguine. and there are in betweens.

It's good to reflect.

I've entered PeriMen. So I am up any Down. Feel like a psycho. St times. 

I have to really kinda hold my tongue not to let fly. Was a great video become kind to one another. Is my Leveller.

Has helped readjust.  

Screenshot_20220317-180810.png

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

On 3/21/2022 at 7:35 AM, Michelle81 said:

I read briefly about the "Four temperaments" theory.  Based on what I read, it sounds like an elementary understanding of neurotransmitter balance in the brain and it's effects on behavior/personality. 

You observation is correct,it seem like it is based on what we see and not the complex biologic processes underlying them,But it is also very practical.you will agree in the congregation we all don't behave the same way naturally even though we may all be very spiritual.

I find out that melancholic individuals are easily depressed and are prone to self pity and faultfinding more than sanguines and phlegmatics.knowing you temperament can give you an idea of where your weakness lies.

the theory appears quite simple but I think it is very practical.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My temperament is docile and unemotional.

I scoff at people who get emotional and get angry easily.

I can make most people feel angry (non-JWs) without feeling angry. 

I've been cursed and shouted at 24 hours during my prison time so this helps ms. haha.