JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Tutorial: Have Daily Text Automatically Pop-up Each Day [For the slightly technical]

Some of us need reminders and I find it helpful to have my daily text already in front of me each morning when I get up :)    #JWLifeHacks

Here's how I do it. There are a few steps, but you only have to do this once. 

(I use Microsoft Edge exclusively for JW-related stuff, so this tutorial is for the Edge browser in Windows 10 / 11. Anyone know of an easier / better way to set this up? I'd love to hear it.)

Step 1.  Right-click on the Start Menu and click Run. (If you have Windows 10, your start menu will be at the lower left of your screen.)

000.png.c2832e867c736e335498b7561a741612.png

Step 2. Type taskschd.msc in the box and click OK.

00.png.0c831d0963e94bd63652fd01be36e8b2.png

Step 3. Go to Action at the top and click on Create Task.

0.png.1381350f776718530db45c360dd1b74c.png

Step 4. Give it a name - for example, JW.ORG

1.png.66c1f56522ed3b1e3f6101b8077d1c78.png

Step 5. Go to Triggers tab and click New.

2.png.e810fedec2eddbd454fe73324d072277.png

Step 6. Choose Daily and put in tomorrow's date and your preferred starting time (this is a time earlier than when you usually get up). Click OK.

3.png.cdaa06346962b109ad6ee9bf4939df52.png

Step 7. Click New again.

3a.png.fa88b156e52834a7d035b65d1c361cf6.png

Step 8. Click the dropdown to the right of Begin the task and choose At log on. Click OK.

3b.png.6de683ab2babb5c9f049357f5f107ced.png

Step 9. Go to Actions tab and click New.

4.png.705a3d30f9c00e0210be2203300fda05.png

Step 10. Click Browse.

5.png.46b7966bec61b62859ea6c1c7173db69.png

Step 11. Browse to your Local Disk (C:), then Program Files (x86)Microsoft \ Edge \ Application. Click on msedge.exe then click Open.

6.png.2f1b05627131bf7c491d35a994ab7967.png

Step 12. Copy the following line of text and paste into the Add arguments box, then click OK:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/h/r1/lp-e --kiosk

Hint: Highlight the text above, then right-click and select Copy (or press CTRL-C). Then click inside the box and right-click and select Paste (or press CTRL-V).

7.png.13288ae8254a75281c11fac7a61f8826.png

Step 13. Go to Settings tab and check the box that says "Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed"

7b.png.45350387e0cc1ad85d16de6865e52036.png

Step 14. The final test!  Find your task in the list then right-click on it. Click Run.

Your Microsoft Edge browser window should pop up in front of you showing the day's text !!!

9.png.c278353a99f32f5f3b001810b9f8699d.png

Final Step:  You can now close the Task Scheduler. Tomorrow, (and every day after that) your daily text should pop up.

If you're one of those people that turns your computer off at night, it should open automatically when you first log in.

Edited by Suspended in Time

Consistency / Remove unwanted hyperlink.

- If in your travels you chance upon an angry little garden, Run!!!

Mine comes up every day with my email, from this forum. I don't remember how since it's been so long, but I think somewhere here I just requested it..@Grumpy'swife sent it for a long time, now it's @Anniebea. Also, @HappinessIS sent it for awhile..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

20 minutes ago, Dove said:

Mine comes up every day with my email, from this forum. I don't remember how since it's been so long, but I think somewhere here I just requested it..@Grumpy'swife sent it for a long time, now it's @Anniebea. Also, @HappinessIS sent it for awhile..

No I don’t send it at all, it’s just the way the software works, a few years ago it would arrive daily but not since the software was updated… but you should get a notification that I’ve posted it? 

I do it every evening at about 10.45pm my time which should make sure that it’s there ready for you?

I’m not sure if the settings on tapatalk are any different because I don’t use that app at all

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

27 minutes ago, Anniebea said:

No I don’t send it at all, it’s just the way the software works, a few years ago it would arrive daily but not since the software was updated… but you should get a notification that I’ve posted it? 

I do it every evening at about 10.45pm my time which should make sure that it’s there ready for you?

I’m not sure if the settings on tapatalk are any different because I don’t use that app at all

Yes, it appears on my screen as being posted by you. I don't know how the software works but I didn't have to do anything technical other than request it years ago. I believe somewhere it was asked if you wanted it sent to your email and it was.

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

1 hour ago, Dove said:

Yes, it appears on my screen as being posted by you. I don't know how the software works but I didn't have to do anything technical other than request it years ago. I believe somewhere it was asked if you wanted it sent to your email and it was.

We have a Feedburner account that scrapes the Daily Text each day and emails it to about 600 email subscribers. 

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

5 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

We have a Feedburner account that scrapes the Daily Text each day and emails it to about 600 email subscribers. 

Feedburner is great for JW News updates, I did not know you could use it for daily text or things like that.

- If in your travels you chance upon an angry little garden, Run!!!