JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Arch in the Sky

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 691 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

12 hours ago, Dustparticle said:

Scientists need to kiss the Big Bang Theory as they now it good bye. They need to read and believe Genesis 1:1

Why? Is the Big Bang Theory incompatible with the Bible? 

*** g 10/15 p. 8 Evolution ***

Does the Bible’s creation account rule out the possibility that the universe began with the big bang?

The Bible simply says: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” (Genesis 1:1) It does not comment on exactly how God created everything. So even if a cosmic explosion produced our universe, that would not contradict what is stated in the Bible. Rather, Genesis 1:1 would answer the question, Who caused the big bang?

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=102015366&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=4

*** ce chap. 17 p. 202 par. 7 Can You Trust the Bible? ***

7 Regarding the origin of the universe, the Bible states: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” (Genesis 1:1) But many scientists had considered this unscientific, asserting that the universe had no beginning. However, pointing to newer information, astronomer Robert Jastrow explains: “The essence of the strange developments is that the Universe had, in some sense, a beginning—that it began at a certain moment in time.” Jastrow here refers to the now commonly accepted big bang theory, as noted in Chapter 9. He adds: “Now we see how the astronomical evidence leads to a biblical view of the origin of the world. The details differ, but the essential elements in the astronomical and biblical accounts of Genesis are the same.”⁠6

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=1101985027&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=10

I like how the Bible is in harmony with the Big Bang Theory. 

9 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Why? Is the Big Bang Theory incompatible with the Bible? 

*** g 10/15 p. 8 Evolution ***

Does the Bible’s creation account rule out the possibility that the universe began with the big bang?

The Bible simply says: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” (Genesis 1:1) It does not comment on exactly how God created everything. So even if a cosmic explosion produced our universe, that would not contradict what is stated in the Bible. Rather, Genesis 1:1 would answer the question, Who caused the big bang?

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=102015366&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=4

*** ce chap. 17 p. 202 par. 7 Can You Trust the Bible? ***

7 Regarding the origin of the universe, the Bible states: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” (Genesis 1:1) But many scientists had considered this unscientific, asserting that the universe had no beginning. However, pointing to newer information, astronomer Robert Jastrow explains: “The essence of the strange developments is that the Universe had, in some sense, a beginning—that it began at a certain moment in time.” Jastrow here refers to the now commonly accepted big bang theory, as noted in Chapter 9. He adds: “Now we see how the astronomical evidence leads to a biblical view of the origin of the world. The details differ, but the essential elements in the astronomical and biblical accounts of Genesis are the same.”⁠6

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=1101985027&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=10

Big Bang Theory is just a theory and not a fact.  Also, there is no universal thought of what is this theory is. 

On 6/10/2022 at 7:48 AM, Dustparticle said:

Big Bang Theory is just a theory and not a fact

Partially true. Cosmic Inflation Theory (i.e. the Big Bang) has a lot of factual support. It's observable. But as to whether it started as a microscopic singularity that had always existed is not observable. 

On 6/9/2022 at 9:50 PM, Shawnster said:

Me too.  We know that mass can be converted to energy and energy can be converted to mass. We also know that Jehovah is full of "dynamic energy"....

"Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing. " - Isaiah 40:26

He simply had to convert that energy into mass. Could he have created all the raw materials he would have needed to work with in creating the universe in an instant, via an event like the Big Bang? Possibly yes!

But could all these stars and galaxies and planets and solar systems have just randomly come to be the way they are today without someone behind the scenes organizing them in this fashion? No way.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

15 hours ago, Brother_Bliss said:

Partially true. Cosmic Inflation Theory (i.e. the Big Bang) has a lot of factual support. It's observable. But as to whether it started as a microscopic singularity that had always existed is not observable

The problem is Cosmological Principle. It is a prediction based on the idea the the universe as about the same in all places when viewed by a larger scale. And it should be the same by observers at different locations of the universe no matter you outside or inside of it. This is NOT happening.

The post I mentioned above is going contrary of what science thinks of. Jehovah is telling them in Genesis 1:1 that he created it.

34 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

The post I mentioned above is going contrary of what science thinks of

I understand that. And certainly future knowledge can result in proving the Cosmological Principle to be wrong, and it could be that Cosmic Inflation Theory and Big Bang Theory will see some adjustments. 

I'm just echoing what Shawn also acknowledged - that you can accept there was a creator AND feel their could be credibility in these theories.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!