JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 683 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The BBC website has information on different religious beliefs and has a section dedicated to us

https://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/witnesses/

I wanted to share it because it is fair and accurate as far as I can tell, without being negative which is nice 🙂

One thing I that bothers me is that they link to the now defunct website watchtower.org instead of jw.org

2 hours ago, Jwanon said:

The BBC website has information on different religious beliefs and has a section dedicated to us

https://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/witnesses/

It is a very old page.... it is headed by the notice: "This page has been archived and is no longer updated."

One thing I that bothers me is that they link to the now defunct website watchtower.org instead of jw.org

TBH, I'm more bothered that it appears that there is NO redirect to the current webpage when you click that link?

The old website could just be 'down' at the moment, but I've always understood that best practice is to automatically forward visitors using something like a 301 redirect, so that old links, like the above, still 'work' by going to the new website. It would appear strange if that was not the case here, but I presume that the JW website administrators have their reasons and/or have been given direction not to forward visitors to the new website 🤷‍♂️ 😟

What do you get when you click on http://www.watchtower.org ? I just get 'Server Not Found'...

Edited by Parale

One thing I that bothers me is that they ....

The link is from this date:

image.thumb.png.faf91332aee1737852dd1cf10e0ad359.png

Today's date is June 12, 2022. Its a big gap on up to date information.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

14 minutes ago, AH173 said:

Today's date is June 12, 2022. Its a big gap on up to date information.

The page is specifically labelled as being an 'Archived Page'.... the BBC explains that:

Why don't we update some types of content any more?

These pages are not deleted because, often, they still have value - either as a piece of content that's of continuing use or because the information they contain might be of historical interest later. It also may be the case that users have bookmarked or shared those pages, and we don't want to break those links.

There are strict guidelines around the alteration or removal of content from BBC Online.

In general, once a piece of content is published on BBC Online, it should stay there, and we're committed to making sure it remains available for generations to come.

Thus it is an 'Archive Page', which is clearly marked as such, does not claim to be 'up to date', and provides a clear 'last updated' date, but continues to be made available for research etc (and to avoid broken links), much like the WOL has many 'Archive Pages' with information dating back to the 1950s.

Edited by Parale

Still, we are still known as Jehovah's Witnesses. We still read the Bible. We still preach about the God's Kingdom and reject false doctrines such as hellfire and trinity. Not much in our core belief has changed since 2009.

It's not like that article is from 1970s or 1990s. I think it's fairly accurate in that sense and therefore these articles can be proven useful for some people. Of course, the best thing to do is to actually advertise our website, jw.org.

33 minutes ago, Parale said:

TBH, I'm more bothered that it appears that there is NO redirect to the current webpage when you click that link?

Interestingly, both the watchtower.org and the jw-media.org is still owned and maintained by our organisation. I wonder why they are not simply redirected, also.

Edited by Hinata

27 minutes ago, Jwanon said:

I have the same. Could be an oversight from the brothers and it's now too late to rectify. 

Providing that the WT still actually owns the domain watchtower.org , then it is not 'too late', and could be rectified very simply.

And as it is evidently not being redirected/forwarded, I'd presume that they must have received direction not to forward visitors to the new/current website 🤷‍♂️

wt1.JPG.ed432ea9eb0b5d14f53a71815246b1eb.JPG

11 minutes ago, Hinata said:

Still, we are still known as Jehovah's Witnesses. We still read the Bible. We still preach about the God's Kingdom and reject false doctrines such as hellfire and trinity. Not much in our core belief has changed since 2009.

It's not like that article is from 1970s or 1990s. I think it's fairly accurate in that sense and therefore these articles can be proven useful for some people. Of course, the best thing to do is to actually advertise our website, jw.org.

Interestingly, both the watchtower.org and the jw-media.org is still owned and maintained by our organization. I wonder why they are not simply redirected, also.

We may own the name (Watchtower.org) and it used to redirect you to JW.ORG but it has not been doing so for quite a while.  It simply gives a "site can't be reached  error" any time I have tried it in the last year or more.

11 minutes ago, jwhess said:

We may own the name (Watchtower.org) and it used to redirect you to JW.ORG but it has not been doing so for quite a while.  It simply gives a "site can't be reached  error" any time I have tried it in the last year or more.

Thanks for the update, they must be following direction then to stop the redirect/forwarding.

Edited by Parale

2 hours ago, Parale said:

It is a very old page.... it is headed by the notice: "This page has been archived and is no longer updated."

Thanks for the update. I wish that was clearly communicated with the post I was looking at before I looked and made my point. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible