JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW.ORG News Updates in Whatsapp

5 minutes ago, GWings said:

I really appreciate everyone’s enthusiasm! But I’m also looking for improvements.

One of my ideas is to actually include the video itself when a new video is published. That way you can immediately save it to your phone or forward it to someone. This feature will be possible once Whatsapp increases the maximum attachment size, which according to rumors, is happening any time now. Is this something you would want?

What else are features you would like to have?

Would that violate copyright laws?🤔

Sending links to What's New on JW.ORG is one thing.  

Sending the actual video or MP3 may go against the Organization's direction.

Anybody know the legalities of this?

I really am enjoying the WhatsApp group so far, Brother Glen. :D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

26 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Sending the actual video or MP3 may go against the Organization's direction.

I believe the Branch tracks how many times a video is viewed on the site and they use that information when they decide how to use videos. I assume that is one of the reasons they want us to send links.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

The terms of use state that it is allowed to: “Share links to or electronic copies of downloadable publications, videos, or audio programs on this site.”

However, it’s not allowed to: “Post artwork, electronic publications, trademarks, music, photos, videos, or articles from this website on the Internet (any website, file-sharing site, video-sharing site, or social network).” So that would include services like Facebook, YouTube, WeTransfer etc. 

1 hour ago, GWings said:

The terms of use state that it is allowed to: “Share links to or electronic copies of downloadable publications, videos, or audio programs on this site.”

However, it’s not allowed to: “Post artwork, electronic publications, trademarks, music, photos, videos, or articles from this website on the Internet (any website, file-sharing site, video-sharing site, or social network).” So that would include services like Facebook, YouTube, WeTransfer etc. 

The Terms of Use is expanded on in this article here: 

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/watchtower-study-april-2018/publications-personal-websites/

The problem here is mass distribution to a large audience which only the copyright owner has a right to do. The spirit of the Terms of Use is to direct people to JW.org and publishers are allowed to place electronic copies with interested individuals privately via email (but not en mass via bulk email). 

The WhatsApp TOS also states....

WhatsApp LLC ("WhatsApp," "our," "we," or "us") is committed to helping people and organizations protect their intellectual property rights. Our users agree to our Terms of Service ("Terms") by installing, accessing, or using our apps, services, features, software, or website (together, "Services"). Our Terms do not allow our users to violate someone else's intellectual property rights when using our Services, including their copyrights and trademarks.

Here are some other interesting reads....

https://torrentfreak.com/court-orders-whatsapp-to-suspend-users-sharing-pirated-movie-210524/

https://indianexpress.com/article/technology/copyrighted-material-on-whatsapp-could-land-you-in-trouble-2996091/

We don't mean to rain on your parade, but as a result of running a pro-JW community and having to deal with copyright complaints, we're pretty well-versed in this area. It's possible that Watchtower Bible & Tract Society could issue a complaint to WhatsApp and have this account terminated.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Okay so this might be a gray area. I believe it would not be a an infringement on the copyright or terms of use for a couple of reasons, but it's clear the brothers don't want this material to be available on other platforms and rather have people visit jw.org. Which is understandable of course, especially for interested ones, because we hope they would stick around on the website. So let's skip this idea of including the actual video in the message...

Any other ideas that are less of a gray area? 😉

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 6:05 PM, Pastore72 said:

would it also be possible in Italian?

For now there're no plans to start groups for other languages than Dutch and English. However, I'm planning to make the code open source, as soon as I've made some improvements, and then other people might start groups in other languages. You'll need a server and (preferably a spare) cellphone to run this.

• 1 year later...