JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Protect Yourself from Misinformation

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 379 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I love this video!

It has a good reminder that we don't need to waste time researching everything we hear, we need to prioritize our time.

https://www.jw.org/finder?srcid=share&wtlocale=E&lank=docid-502100009_1_VIDEO

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 minutes ago, Dages said:

I really enjoyed the video.

I found very interesting the warning about deep fakes, as I totally expect some deep fakes to be done using the GB members faces during the GT, in order to trouble us. 

Oh absolutely. I am expecting the same thing. It would be easy for apostates to circulate deepfake videos of the GB.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Yes, there is every reason to believe misinformation will be in the arsenal of things to come ...

1 hour ago, Dages said:

I really enjoyed the video.

I found very interesting the warning about deep fakes, as I totally expect some deep fakes to be done using the GB members faces during the GT, in order to trouble us. 

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Oh absolutely. I am expecting the same thing. It would be easy for apostates to circulate deepfake videos of the GB.

While there may be some using deep fakes of the GB, or others from the Branch, there are more insidious ways such deep fakes and misinformation could/would have severe impacts

3 hours ago, Sallyforth said:

... There is so much misinformation/conspiracy theories out there anymore, and I take most of it with a grain of salt. It does seem, though, that repeated bouts of COVID can have bad long term consequences. I personally think that the Governing Body wouldn’t have strongly recommended vaccines and masks if they didn’t believe there was sound basis for doing so for most people.

As we have recently seen with the pandemic, as well as some recent social issues, there has already been effects of misinformation causing difficulties and schisms among Jehovah's people. It will not take deep fakes of the GB "in order to trouble us"

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

As we have recently seen with the pandemic, as well as some recent social issues, there has already been effects of misinformation causing difficulties and schisms among Jehovah's people. It will not take deep fakes of the GB "in order to trouble us"

I think 'deep fakes' of the GB would be easily spotted, especially if it wasn't from JW.ORG. 

But like you mentioned there are already bigger problems with some brothers and sisters falling for misinformation and subsequently taking political sides. 

6 minutes ago, Paul20 said:

I think 'deep fakes' of the GB would be easily spotted, especially if it wasn't from JW.ORG. 

I think that s deepfake of one of the GB walking into a mansion or poolside in a posh resort could be created easily. Apostates could easily say the GB are using donations for personal reasons. It wouldn't fool us but it would fool a lot of people.

5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I think that s deepfake of one of the GB walking into a mansion or poolside in a posh resort could be created easily. Apostates could easily say the GB are using donations for personal reasons. It wouldn't fool us but it would fool a lot of people.

That would be a cute one... This world can do way worse...

I really enjoyed this video.  My oldest two children take a homeschool class with a sister and they just learned about critical thinking, and then this video came out, so we watched it together yesterday.  I love the verse in Job that was quoted.

At the beginning of the pandemic my husband and I got caught up in conspiracy theories (I've never been a conspiracy theorist and was skeptical of the really crazy ones like the pandemic is planned or the vaccines have microchips-but I was very against the vaccine and masking).  I can see the dangers of falling for misinformation as it caused us two years of pain and stress and worry, my husband losing a job over vaxx mandates etc.  We got way too caught up in the politics of it all without even realizing it, I have JW family who still goes around  talking about how terrible the government is and they need to be put out of power and so on,  its hard to listen too.

I've realized where we've been deceived but my family is sadly still deep in conspiracy land.  It's been really rough.  I'm thankful to the brothers for their clarity and warnings in these matters and praying my husband will eventually come around.

• 4 months later...
On 12/24/2022 at 2:35 AM, Tortuga said:

I've been thinking the same thing !

It would be very much like apostates to one day use AI Deepfake to impersonate the GB and say things in order to stir up confusion, and such an event will test the faith of many of our brothers

I pray that, if that day arrives, none of us will be fooled by it, and it will be a great humiliation for the devil !

On 12/23/2022 at 11:57 PM, Qapla said:

Yes, there is every reason to believe misinformation will be in the arsenal of things to come ...

And has long been......2Thessalonians 2|: 1-2:

"However, brothers, concerning the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him, we ask you not to be quickly shaken from your reason nor to be alarmed either by an inspired statement or by a spoken message or by a letter appearing to be from us, to the effect that the day of Jehovah is here."

Edited by Eejay