JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Computer Question: Any Recommendations for using Linux? Which Distros are more secure?

Hi, 

I could use some recommendations for Linux, specifically which Distros are best with security, privacy?

After researching, the 1 that looked best for security purposes was “QUBES”, I really liked how it was designed. But I found out that most users recommend 32GB RAM for this! Wow, my laptop is not that new having such a large amount of RAM. If I get a newer laptop someday, I would really like to try QUBES. So any suggestions for a Distro that doesn’t require as much RAM but is still very secure? Thanks for your help! 👍 

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

8 minutes ago, Dages said:

I no longer use Linux. But I used to enjoy distrohoping. I like lightweight Archlinux based distros.

Oh interesting, may I ask what distros have you liked the most and why?

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Another question for anyone having experience with Linux and various distros. I learned that on a variety of distros that focus on security that they only use the TOR browser/network, does anyone enjoy using TOR? Or is it too slow?

I just looked at the list on the website and the only one I recognize is SparkyLinux (besides the classics), and that's a Debian :D 

Things have changed, from the time I used to tinker with Linux.

does anyone enjoy using TOR? Or is it too slow?

Tor isn't "safe" (it's monitored), nor is really useful, unless you are interested in the dark web (that should not be common, for a JW)

48 minutes ago, Dages said:

Tor isn't "safe" (it's monitored), nor is really useful, unless you are interested in the dark web (that should not be common, for a JW)

Haha, no I will not be using the dark web. 😃 

But curious why you say TOR isn’t safe, it’s monitored?  I know that some governments and certain hackers may “try” to monitor and they have tried some tactics to locate certain people or unencrypt certain data sent on TOR, but with little to no success unless the person makes some mistake. But I ask because from what I understand TOR is more trusted than all other browsers/networks by those who truly need the highest security/privacy/anonymity such as journalists, political activists, military, law enforcement, those living under repressive regimes, etc.

If they knew that TOR was monitored to the point that their personal data/messages could be unencrypted, then why would professionals and even criminals keep using it?  A review of TOR said that “the prevailing opinion among experts is that Tor remains fundamentally secure”. Any information you have would be interesting on this, thanks.

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

3 hours ago, Jendo said:

I sometimes used linux mint on desktop pc /notebook.

Kubuntu have good looking desktop - with good functions also. KDE plasma)

But, I everytime ended with windows, because of proprietary applications, jw library, 

Thanks for posting, I have heard good things about Mint. 👍 

So besides JWlibrary, are there any other applications that will not work?

There is wine - windows applications emulator. You can run watchtower library and some other apps .

But linux desktop as daily driver - sometimes you will see, that things are not so simple as on windows. 

do you want to switch? For privacy?

Everytime you open for example web browser (firefox, vivaldi edge...) they are connecting to their  services to sync, check new version... And on linux too.