JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Communication style while messaging?

Communication style, what‘s your‘s?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Communication style on messaging.

• Short and brief and to the point.
    • Friendliness with salutations, personal greetings and asking how the family is doing.
    • Only voice texts. Too busy otherwise.
    • Concentrate on using correct grammar and sentence structure, resulting in long messages.
    • Lots of emojis and texting language. ROFL. BRB. I‘m L8. CU soon.
    • USING ALL CAPS LOCKS!
    • Reading but not replying.

Since much emphasis is put on unity in the congregation, family, or in other situations that could impact our dealings with one other, what is your communication style when it comes to messaging someone personally?

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

I use messaging ALOT. I become very anxious on the phone so text unless I absolutely have to call. Even then if possible I would rather go visit the person than call.
But how I text differs. If it's a close friend or family it's almost like a continuation of a conversation we always have. If it's a sister I don't know well or a work mate, I am alot more formal in my texts. So I guess it really depends on the person and situation.

Sent from my SM-A336E using Tapatalk

That’s understandable. I often find myself doing number one, but then become this sort of chameleon with my messaging, and will reply the way a person sends me a message.

Because I notice that if I reply with my point style of 1, and someone is the detailed, personable but shy type of person, that I can across as unfriendly. So I adjust. Same with someone who leaves voice texts, I will do the same which sometimes works out better than a barrage of messages back and forth. But then if someone doesn’t reply to a message I send, I tend to resend a message assuming they have to think about it, or were short on time when they read the message. Otherwise I conclude they are not interested in messaging or communicating properly - but I often find that with maybe just a couple of people IRL. Then if that person writes me, I wonder if it’s more of a statement, than a question, and if I should even bother replying back (chameleon in me)? 

So a person‘s style of communicating is important because it can lead to misunderstandings. At the same time I‘ve concluded that writing etiquette is simply lacking in certain individuals. All the other stuff that might seem fluffy (text languaging, emoji bombing), is no big deal, though. Is this really a messaging problem, or is it just a sign of laziness and/or lack of fellow feeling?

- Read the Bible daily 

Brittany

you ave made some excellent points

My mother figured out how to us voice texts….now we get huge texts from her…..not always beneficial

As appointed men ….we had some reminders in the past from the CO and @ SCE (school for Christian Elders)

important and serious conversations should take place in person - either face to face or via telephone

text messaging is NOT considered detailed conversation, Not secure communication, NOT time critical …response required immediately 

In a corporate or Technological or legal scenario….Email can be considered formal communication

Many legal notices still require written notification and letters that must be ‘signed for.

There are legal and regulatory requirements in the US for storage and retention of email

these requirements DO NOT apply to text messaging

Texting is mostly recognized as ‘informal communication’

…as mentioned it is easy to misconstrue a point or miss critical details in ‘short messages’

IT IS GREAT for notices, updates, reminders, quick notes, short or simple questions

IT IS GOOD as an additional reminder for assignments, cong duties and responsibilities or in-service check-ups

Congregationwise…. we were reminded that if we didnt get a timely reply we should follow-up with a telephone call or face-to-face query

…Which could alleviate many misunderstandings or vague ideas

I have seen a marked improvement in our congregation and circuit communication  when we employed the recommendations

Since there is not an option for "A mixture of two or more of these styles" - I could NOT image.png.f0e2b48af7f4b9a75d67eedeeb211d9e.png - that said, I do use a mixture of image.png.bc31f101ffc57dd11821153f3e11887b.png and JTFLOEW - sometimes punctuation & shortcuts like l8r g8r

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Interestingly I occasionally get an instant message with the name of the person signing it at the bottom. That reminds me more of the formal email style writing, so maybe it’s a mix and old habits die hard. Because with instant messaging, it automatically tells you whose writing you, so the formality of writing a salutation with the person’s name seems a little redundant to me. Unless the person has gotten your number and written to you.

But again I will adjust and write my name on my message if they wrote their name at the end of their message. 🤷‍♀️

- Read the Bible daily 

I do a combo of the top 3 and when I am very overwhelmed and my brain is not cooperating with me, I sometimes do the last one. I love voice texts because they let me express or clarify tone for messages that could cause confusion or misunderstandings in text form. They also make it possible for me respond when I am walking or driving. 

If someone takes a long time to respond or doesn’t respond, I just assume they are very busy or driving or forgot. Unless it’s an abrupt change in the way they communicate with me, I try to just remember that people are overwhelmed and doing a million things and sometimes texts get lost in the shuffle. A lot of people are also not great with texting and are better with phone calls.

• 3 weeks later...