JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

News on Russia

This article on the BBC news yesterday gives some insight into the instability of how things are in the land of the King of the North, and this will certainly make life harder for our brothers there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66924404

Police are leaving the police force in droves. This has meant lives have been lost because police are not attending crimes due to staff shortages. The wages earned are less than courier drivers, supermarket workers or taxi drivers. As well as this, the war has meant their workload has increased as they have to investigate any dissident voices against the war. There is simply too much work and not enough officers to function effectively, with low wages and dangerous work.

Here is how it is affecting our brothers:

“As the number of officers drops, the pressures on those who remain increase. 

Former officers have told the BBC this is leading to corruption.

"Officers are beating confessions out of people, inflating arrest quotas, we're seeing this all the time," says a police major from the Russian city of Tomsk.

"It's only going to get worse. There will be falsification of evidence, targeted beatings, there just isn't going to be time to investigate anything properly. 

"You've got a lead and you need to chase it? Much simpler to drag the first suspect back to the station and beat him up, so he takes the blame."

Some officers are getting locked up for their actions - further thinning the force.”

We continue to pray for our brave brothers and sisters. Every report we read from JW.org shows us Jehovah is keeping them going and it’s a comfort for us to know he has this all in hand.

I was reading this last night. 

It shows what a terrible state the government of Russia is in when it can't afford to pay its law enforcement a decent wage. 

Yet it manages to find enough police to arrest innocent people. 

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Oh yes, exactly! Satan is truly behind it. But, I was thinking how those quotas need to be filled, and the brothers are soft targets. 

Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way. 🥲

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

I too read this news item with great interest and I wondered how they find the time to charge our brothers. Th last paragraph is very enlightening. What a horrible place to be at the moment.

"claim they now spend most of their time investigating and revising "endless charges against people discrediting the army".

"People are always looking for an excuse to denounce someone," a former major from Tomsk says.

"There's nobody around... Everyone's gone to check on some grandma who saw a curtain that looked like the Ukrainian flag.

"I see where we're heading," he says. "There's already an emphasis on crimes against the state. Going forward, more cases will fall into this category," he predicts.

"As for real problems affecting ordinary people? Kidnap, robbery, rape, murder… there won't be time to investigate."

18 hours ago, Abigail said:

"claim they now spend most of their time investigating and revising "endless charges against people discrediting the army".

"I see where we're heading," he says. "There's already an emphasis on crimes against the state. Going forward, more cases will fall into this category," he predicts.

It sounds like the Royal Insult Law in Thailand.  I think other countries like Dubai have similar laws.

North Korea doesn't have a monarch, but no one would dare speak openly against the Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un.

Russia is cracking down too.  

Previous chief of Russian E-center (departament of fight against extremism) has been dismissed recently.

It should be good because the previous one began Witnesses threatments.

But the new one is from Chechnya. Those officials are untouchable, they can do whatever they want.

Recently son of Chechnya head, Adam Kadyrow, teenager, beat up a guy in prison who previoulsy burned Koran
Before that, this guy has been convicted and then moved to Chechnya`s prison for this.

The video was widely circulated. His father publically praised him.