JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Bad Things Are Always Happening To Me

I currently live in low income housing run by a local housing authority.  

I put in a request for a reasonable accommodation to move into an apartment that has a bathroom upstairs and downstairs.  My doctor signed the form and everything making it legal. 

It took her almost four months and I don't know how many ignored emails for her to answer me. 

To make a long story short, my landlord wouldn't approve an apartment with both upstairs and downstairs, but instead gave me an handicap apartment that has a bedroom and bathroom downstairs and a bedroom and office up stairs.   I got the keys today.  Walked over to the apartment and it was horrible.  When you walk in, there is a rush of cigarette smoke that hits you like a train.    Both my daughter and I had bad reactions to it.     Hers was far worse.   She was having burning in her nose, eyes and her face.  She had to shower and change her clothing.   I've been coughing on and off all day since being exposed.  And public housing in Wisconsin is supposed to be SMOKE FREE according to federal laws.  

The apartment hadn't been cleaned since the last person moved out.   The toilet looked like it belonged in an outhouse.  There is mud coming in from outside the back door.  The bathtub had cat litter and spiders in it.   

I emailed my landlord and told her that it was unacceptable.    And that I wasn't going to move into that apartment that she needed to find me a different one to move into.   As of today, there are three other available apartments.   One is for the disabled. 

I don't understand how a landlord who works for the government can be like this.  My old landlord that ran this place was NOT like this. 

I have paperwork filled out to mail to Madison Wisconsin filing a discrimination case against them.   

Know that Jehovah is God. He is the one who made us, and we belong to him.

Psalm 100:3

39 minutes ago, Lori said:

When you walk in, there is a rush of cigarette smoke that hits you like a train.

I'm so sorry you and your daughter are having such a hard time looking for a decent place to stay. May Jehovah give you strength and patience to endure the  hard times. It is especially difficult when one has disability. It is agonizing just to climb a flight of stairs and even more scary going down. 

Spoiler

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/quit-smoking/expert-answers/third-hand-smoke/faq-20057791

What is thirdhand smoke, and why is it a concern?

Thirdhand smoke is made up of the pollutants that settle indoors when tobacco is smoked. The chemicals in thirdhand smoke include nicotine as well as cancer-causing substances such as formaldehyde, naphthalene and others.

Thirdhand smoke builds up on surfaces over time. It can become embedded in most soft surfaces such as clothing, furniture, drapes, bedding and carpets. It also settles as dust-like particles on hard surfaces such as walls, floors and in vehicles. Thirdhand smoke can remain for many months even after smoking has stopped.

image.thumb.png.84c2b8365a97ae65491e29786982bfe6.png

1 hour ago, dilip kumar said:

Believe me your situation will surely change. I had been thru this. Today I live a very very better life. Work hard. That's it. Try for extra income. Jehovah God will not abandon you.

I'm 58 years old.   I have severe anxiety, panic attacks, severe depression with suicidal tendencies, undiagnosed fibro.  arthritis in my knees as well as bursitis, CFS, amongst other things.    There is no way that I'll be able to get a job. 

Will have you in my prayers sis!

It is practically a whole full-time job just to deal with the requirements and paperwork to get public assistance/housing, especially when you have a disability, many people don’t realize this.

Do any of your elders know you are going through all this, and about your housing situation? 

3 hours ago, Esined said:

Will have you in my prayers sis!

It is practically a whole full-time job just to deal with the requirements and paperwork to get public assistance/housing, especially when you have a disability, many people don’t realize this.

Do any of your elders know you are going through all this, and about your housing situation? 

Thank you.  

Yes,  they know.   

On 11/7/2023 at 7:07 AM, Lori said:

I have paperwork filled out to mail to Madison Wisconsin filing a discrimination case against them. 

Lori, before you do that, is there another way to approach this? Are you able to decline this unsanitary dwelling on health grounds, and still be available for the low cost housing? It might be very different over in Wisconsin, but I’m also in low cost housing run under the state housing laws. I had to decline the first house they offered me too.

I'm just thinking of you and the extra stress the appeal regarding discrimination would cost you. Do you have a tenancy bureau to ask for advocacy and advice? As a disabled person, you should by rights have been better housed. But I understand if the situation has left you with no option but to file a discrimination case against them. If you can, though, try to not get too overwhelmed. My prayers are with you sis 💞

19 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Lori, before you do that, is there another way to approach this? Are you able to decline this unsanitary dwelling on health grounds, and still be available for the low cost housing? It might be very different over in Wisconsin, but I’m also in low cost housing run under the state housing laws. I had to decline the first house they offered me too.

I'm just thinking of you and the extra stress the appeal regarding discrimination would cost you. Do you have a tenancy bureau to ask for advocacy and advice? As a disabled person, you should by rights have been better housed. But I understand if the situation has left you with no option but to file a discrimination case against them. If you can, though, try to not get too overwhelmed. My prayers are with you sis 💞

I did decline the apartment and she asked for the keys back and ripped up my lease for that apartment.   I live in the same complex but the apartment that I live in now doesn't have a bathroom downstairs.    

I talked to Disability Rights out of Madison and they said that I did the right thing by filing two discrimination complaints. One to Equal Rights Division and the other to HUD.    

Thanks for the prayers. I need them desperately.   Thank you.  

Here are some photos.    I'll share the Youtube videos below this post.     

The cigarette smell alone was overpowering.  

398920826_7029361277115488_6227703883556481805_n.jpg

398949046_7029361300448819_2548149245055568509_n.jpg

398961681_7029361480448801_929133132320620033_n.jpg

398965022_7029361457115470_8479784689638135232_n.jpg

398981456_7030166163701666_3212021600436774998_n.jpg

399008159_7030166100368339_3691778964182160594_n.jpg

399015087_7029361380448811_8435348759253858496_n.jpg

399022729_7030166210368328_8506365495697684840_n.jpg

399347236_7029361390448810_5658704168972573001_n.jpg

399514181_7030166067035009_4909818632534572321_n.jpg

400823367_7035726636478952_3146334834399825399_n.jpg

Edited by Lori