JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Oh Looky what I saw the other morning.... :yes:

oh sooooo cute. where was momma deer though?

Don't know. It was wandering around calling out for mom, and then laid down under my neighbors car behind the front tire and he was about to leave for work, so I walked over and scooped him up. He kicked a little and "moo'ed" but was alright. In the picture he is licking my salty neck.

We called a wildlife rehabilitation place where we often take birds, and they said it's illegal to take them in and rehabilitate them because of the population problem. However, they said that they're dumb like puppies. Mom will get up at dawn and go do her thing, and the kids will wake up and see she is not there and start wandering around and calling out. Mom returns to find an empty nest, and will follow the scent, calling out. Eventually they hear eachother OR another deer hear's the kid and will watch over it until Mom comes around looking for them. This is just when they are that young. Before too long, Mom and kids wander around together, but not right after birth. So they said to let it go and odds were very good that Mom and child would be reunited before too long.

Of course, I hope all this was true and they weren't just telling me some hogwash. If it comes wandering back, I will have a new pet - even if it is staring me in the eyes come November.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

That's a lot of kids Bob. Are they all yours?

No. We have a day care.

I just assumed that wherever a cute animal turns up in the suburbs . .so do the neighbourhood kids. . I arrived home from work one afternoon to find a dozen childen and a few adults in my backyard looking at the stray Koala swinging around at the top of my tree. He wandered off into 'local myth' legend after passing through. . :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

This is worth seeing. In Liberia, rarely people play with dear and other animals. No soon as any of them spy you, it will run over its head.

we kill them here for food. And so they are afraid of us and flee for their life always.

Oh how cute! There was a lost baby deer at my husbands office one day, in the parking garage. He works in The Woodlands, so by the name you can tell that it's very wooded and therefore wildlife still roams around all the homes and offices. I had to go up to the office with a laundry basket and blankets and him and a coworker got the baby deer scooped up and took him to a local rehabilitation center. They said it would cost them about $500 to take care of that deer before it would be able to be released back into the wild.

There are wild deer here. Beautiful slender creatures. When we travel to work sometimes very early in the morning we occasionally see a 'Stag at Bay' or standing high up sillhouetted against a morning sky with full set of antlers - It is a wondrous sight.

There used to be more private parks of deer here and herds at 'petting zoos/farms', but the foot and mouth disease of 10 years ago wiped out whole populations as well as livestock it was heartbreaking. The beautiful Lake District stunk of burning pyres of creatures and mostly baby animals, as it happened in Spring. Lots of businesses went under when hardly tourists came, we lost our Antique shop in Keswick at that time. Those animals they did not burn in fields, they buried in landfill, 120,000 animals just outside the village of Distington near us and 180,000 at an old airfield at Overton near Carlisle and that's just in the North section of our County! Millions of deer, cattle, goats,and sheep etc were lost all over England either from disease or the government 'contiguous killing policy' i.e. any animals within 5 miles of an infected farm had to be destroyed, even if they were healthy or pets.So it's nice to see animal populations recovering and hope it doesn't happen again. The outbreak was called by the media "Farmaggeddon"!We certainly felt it was the part of the Sign of 'Pestilences in one place after another'.

The Wild Life hospital at Knoxwood each Spring, puts notices in the local paper to not a bring baby deer/fawn you think is alone to the wildlife centre(unless it's mother has been run over by a vehicle or is injured), because likely their mother is not too far away. The mother/doe always leaves them to sleep quietly and they are supposed to stay asleep in long grass or shrubbery until she returns, but they get scared or nosey and get up and move about, but as Bob says Mom will return to look for them. He did right to get the fawn away from cars, but then let it go preferably somewhere where the mother is likely to be and away from traffic dangers if possible.

My favourite TV show "Animal Hospital" of a few years ago used to feature the purposebuilt UK wildlife hospital St Tiggywinkles (named after a hedgehog from Children's books by Beatrix Potter) and they gave out lots of useful advice for caring for wildlife.

http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/