4 hours ago, Brother_Bliss said:

I have no idea what that is, lol.

It’s the reason Facebook renamed itself “Meta”

Ten years ago Facebook bought a company selling hardware goggles named Oculus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_Labs#Funding_for_Oculus_Rift_and_company

it was just a month I guess from when then bought whatsapp 

Edited by Brandon

• 1 month later...

I'll let you know if I ever get an upgraded computer and upgrade the VR. It's a very low priority rn. It'll wait til I have time to get back to learning 3d modelling and VR on unity. I've been wanting to make a metaverse game. I had this vision for a VR NFT farming and town management game that doesn't cost to play, but allows users to earn Ethereum to invest or to put into other items for the virtual town/world. I do think NFTs are just about dead, at the moment, but I still believe it's like YouTube videos in the 2000s: all the annoying extravagant content is going by the wayside, but I still believe the medium has potential for other applications. 

On 11/16/2023 at 4:13 PM, eliaseje said:

Is anyone on the metaverse? Would be cool to meet you virtually! Maybe play some games together!

I've got the original Oculus Rift (though I'm about to get rid of it) and the Quest 2.  Been a couple months since I played, but I need to get more active.  Any workout games or physically active games that we could do together?  Might help if I had someone motivating me.  😅

I used to play Echo a lot, until they shut down.  I have a bowling game & a table tennis game.  I have facebook's metaverse game, but it was boring to me.  Maybe they added a lot of features since the last time I played?

On 11/24/2023 at 10:03 AM, Landon1285 said:

I tried it a couple of years ago but haven't returned. Would you recommend the new headset?

Facebook has created the metaverse where you can played different games in VR. There are quite a few that are shooting games which may not be the best game to play. I like Horizon Worlds. You can venture into different worlds created by different users. Socialize with other people although being cautious because these are "worldly" people. I just find it really cool and being VR it feels like you are really in that environment.

1 hour ago, computerwiz said:

I've got the original Oculus Rift (though I'm about to get rid of it) and the Quest 2.  Been a couple months since I played, but I need to get more active.  Any workout games or physically active games that we could do together?  Might help if I had someone motivating me.  😅

I used to play Echo a lot, until they shut down.  I have a bowling game & a table tennis game.  I have facebook's metaverse game, but it was boring to me.  Maybe they added a lot of features since the last time I played?

Beatsaber is a good workout app. I liked supernatural workout app as it has good music selection and environments to workout in although there is a monthly subscription fee. Checkout Horizon Worlds when you turn on your Quest 2. It's cool for socializing but there are different worlds that have games.

9 hours ago, Katty said:

I'll let you know if I ever get an upgraded computer and upgrade the VR. It's a very low priority rn. It'll wait til I have time to get back to learning 3d modelling and VR on unity. I've been wanting to make a metaverse game. I had this vision for a VR NFT farming and town management game that doesn't cost to play, but allows users to earn Ethereum to invest or to put into other items for the virtual town/world. I do think NFTs are just about dead, at the moment, but I still believe it's like YouTube videos in the 2000s: all the annoying extravagant content is going by the wayside, but I still believe the medium has potential for other applications. 

Yea I have downloaded the Blender app to learn to 3d model. You can make create your own worlds within the Horizons app on the Quest VR headsets. Pretty fun VR system. 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-is-vr-all-the-basics-of-virtual-reality/

VR, or Virtual Reality, is a technology designed to make you feel immersed in a virtual world. It’s a distinctly different feeling than playing a game or navigating a 3D environment on a static 2D monitor, giving a real feeling of presence in the virtual space. This is typically achieved with a VR headset that places one or two displays very close to your eyes, whilst tracking your position so that it can be translated into the virtual world.

Spoiler

image.png.5014f190aa167da637c7423f23a5e704.png

• 3 weeks later...