JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

3D Printing

Desert Dan

3 minutes ago, bobby said:

ill be getting one in a few week's a friend is giving me he's old one 

Nice.   Since you have a friend who can help you, that is great.   I was off work for awhile and ended up learning the hobby.   It can be frustrating (why does it do that?) or disappointing (oh, my 16 hour print failed!) or rewarding (Yay, that is awesome!!!).    I have had all 3 but to me it gets easier as you learn more however prints can fail even with the most experienced people.    I have even had beautiful spaghetti - you will learn what that is if you don't know already...

7 hours ago, Desert Dan said:

I was wondering if anyone does 3D printing for fun.    If so, I have some pictures I can share and I would be interested in other projects people have done.

Hi Dan, 

Please share with us some of your projects, sounds very interesting 👍 

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

This was a moon colony or city  that really came out good but it took me 4 attempts to get right and be successful.   What you see below took about 26 hours of printing to complete and I was releived when it finally made it.   It is tri-color in reality, purpe, green, blue.

image.thumb.jpeg.0f0dfee83cca876c5780de0107d2e0e5.jpeg

20231129_110934.jpg

20231129_110950.jpg

Random things printed here over time.   Some of the things were made when I first got the printer.   Some stuff in the pictures are a couple pieces of doll furniture (which I made with modeling software - I am a beginner) and whistles that work well, etc.    The silver one with the face is actually an illusion when you move it around it kind of reflects and projects like it's 3 dimensional.  The black cloth-like thing in the middle of one of the pictures is actually really cool because it is flexible and you can practically fold it.

image.thumb.jpeg.a2f5aad2c585fecb323c658b680a136b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ea39dfb32ef483d540507ce9b6d854f4.jpeg

Edited by Ludwika

Brother Dan, it is possible to edit within 15 minutes after initially posting your comment. After the stated time limit, just send a report to the moderators and they will do the needful. The 3 dots on the top right hand corner is where you report any errors you want it removed.

Edited by Imagine

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, bobby said:

i was told to do to thingiverse 

what web site do you guy go to 

Thingiverse is one place:  Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects

I like Printables as well:    3D models database | Printables.com

- If you go to Printables, at the top, check out their 3D Models tab and also Contests tabs.

I have an Creality Ender 3 V2 printer and it is probably the same with most printers.

Download free "Slicing Software" such as Ultimaker Cura and load the STL file into it.   When all the settings, positioning of object and detail settings (and extra options) are what you are looking for, you hit "Slice" button in bottom right corner.

After it is "Slicing", it will have an option "Save to Disk".  Save it to your SD card (or save it to your computer and copy it over to it).  That STL file will turn into a Gcode file which is what your printer uses to print actually print with.

What model of printer do you have?   Mine is a beginner model but one of the most popular ones that people used to start with.

Don't get frustrated, 3D printing definitely takes time to get things figured out and every printer is different.   3D printers are not like regular computer printers and sometimes require a lot of tinkering to get things right.   There is certainly a lot to it but the reward is great once you figure it out.  I still have a lot to learn but what I know at this point is sufficient for most things to print.   There are many forums and websites out there that were of great help to me when I started.   It is extremely important to get the first layer it prints right or else things could fail hours later.   There are many websites that talk about "bed leveling" and getting that figured out is an absolute first step.   And observing what is going on during that first layer can be crucial.

4 hours ago, bobby said:

Anet A8 3d printer

ok i take it there is a website for this software 

would Cnet have it 

Ultimaker Cura is one of the most popular and well-supported and documented Slicing Software.   As mentioned above, after you load your STL file (or other format) it will "Slice" and create the GCODE file for your printer.

UltiMaker Cura - UltiMaker

Anet A8 Cura Settings: The Best Anet A8 Cura Profile | All3DP

This is a pretty good site with lots of information about 3D printing (filaments, temperature, 1st layer, issues, etc).   It is $2.99 a year without advertising or free if you allow advertising.

All About 3D Printing & Additive Manufacturing | All3DP