JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2023 Governing Body Update #8 / BEARDS!!!

11 minutes ago, truce said:

Maybe soon we might be given the option of letting go of another burden: the thing around your neck....  especially when doing service in hot weather. 

Ties are also brutal in the desert in the summer.  In fact, sometimes here the brothers/sisters will take a few houses while the others wait in the car with the air conditioning on.  Or short service days in summer, like 45 minutes to an hour.  Sometimes the heat (and low humidity) can be so bad that the sweat evaporates off your skin and you don't even realize.  It may sound great compared to humid environments, but it can be dangerous as well if not alert.   I remember one day seeing the humidity reported as 6%.  It is typically fairly low, but not usually that low.

Edited by Desert Dan

11 minutes ago, Percy said:

Did Adam wear clothes!?

Genesis 3:21 "And Jehovah God made long garments from skins for Adam and for his wife, to clothe them". The first clothes were modest.

"Laughter cannot mask a heavy heart. When the laughter ends, the grief remains."-Proverbs 14:13 Living Bible Translation

9 minutes ago, Percy said:

They weren't meant for warmth but for shame.

Who knows? They were getting evicted from a climate controlled Garden of Eden. And if the garden is somewhere in the Middle east, they do experience seasons. They would also need protection  from the vegetation they would soon be having to harvest for themselves. Genesis 3:18,19 "It will grow thorns and thistles for you, and you must eat the vegetation of the field. 19 In the sweat of your face you will eat bread* until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken.+ For dust you are and to dust you will return.”

Having picked blackberries here in Oregon I am glad to have long pants and long sleeved shirts as those prickles can really jab you!

Edited by DancesWithWife

Added thought

"Laughter cannot mask a heavy heart. When the laughter ends, the grief remains."-Proverbs 14:13 Living Bible Translation

11 minutes ago, DancesWithWife said:

Genesis 3:21 "And Jehovah God made long garments from skins for Adam and for his wife, to clothe them". The first clothes were modest.

That was appropriate business attire at the time, and casual attire, work attire, dinner attire....:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

What was interesting was on the brothers talk on History of JW tours  talk about beards a few weeks ago was the influence of religion, specifically the Catholic Church. No Pope has had worn a beard since 1700. The last bearded pope was Innocent XII (reigned 1691-1700). The 23 popes before him, from Clement VII (1523) onwards had beards. 

1 hour ago, truce said:

Did Adam wear shoes? (Topic for another thread)... hehehehe....

I love your second paragraph. Barely a month or so ago, it seemed that the concern of the BOE or even of the GB was more about the policy than about the brother. Glad things have changed. No further burdens added except the necessary things. Maybe soon we might be given the option of letting go of another burden: the thing around your neck....  especially when doing service in hot weather. 

you can ditch ties when women can wear pants. deal?

Season 7 Hello GIF by One Chicago

10 minutes ago, truce said:

DEAL!

I enjoy wearing a tie. I usually have a matching pocket square along with a tie bar. 

27 minutes ago, Hope said:

YES!  I *KNEW* Bobby Looch would grow a beard!!! ❤️😉 

I am really looking forward to our future Broadcasts and Morning Worships.. who else will be suitably hirsute? 

Yeah future Morning Worship Programs and Broadcasts will feature new appearances. Amen, let it come, let it come!

4 minutes ago, coolbrz731 said:

Not even the most rebellious JW I know would dare do something like that and claim it's legitimate.

Apostates would. You don't know where it originates from. False news is easilly spread. What is it we learn from our literature? Don't believe everything we see on the net or what is send to us, how well meant that was.

I'll wait for the video on jw.org or if it comes in a publication, etc.

jworg1.jpg.fbee44f18d05bd7fd5a2c3c8110f64c6.jpg  "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you."—Ps. 56:3

4 minutes ago, Desert Dan said:

And we shouldn't be ashamed of our salt/pepper beards, correct?  Or just salt...   There is a scripture somewhere.  I will say that I look a ton different, sometimes I look in the mirror and ask "Who is that guy?"

I have nothing against beards. I myself have one for over 10 years. It's not about the beard, but the fact someone recieved an image of "Lucioni" from another brother. not telling where he got it from.

If I share ut...

I got it from an Forum for witnesses, where a brother received it from a brother...

Recognize that phrase from all the warnings that are given.

Verify, verrify.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

jworg1.jpg.fbee44f18d05bd7fd5a2c3c8110f64c6.jpg  "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you."—Ps. 56:3

8 minutes ago, Rodejong said:

Apostates would. You don't know where it originates from. False news is easilly spread. What is it we learn from our literature? Don't believe everything we see on the net or what is send to us, how well meant that was.

I'll wait for the video on jw.org or if it comes in a publication, etc.

The brother said the picture was sent directly to him.   I believe it when members here directly claim something was sent to them.