JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Gigantic skull of sea monster is found in England

On 12/12/2023 at 2:25 PM, Desert Dan said:

I have always tried to understand the "predatory" and violent nature/hunting of God's Creation, especially prior to man being on the Earth.   Anyone have a simple explanation?

I see creation as one big science experiment, with the spirit creatures being the scientists led by Jehovah the Great Scientist. Over time, some things had to go (like dinosaurs) and the time would come when Jehovah purposed to create mankind to make the earth a paradise (or, this was the purpose all along and the time came for this phase to move forward).

On 12/12/2023 at 2:25 PM, Desert Dan said:

I believe from our understanding this will change in the paradise.

Possibly. The language in our more recent publications has intentionally been a little vague...

*** ip-1 chap. 13 pp. 163-164 par. 13 Salvation and Rejoicing Under the Messiah’s Reign ***

13 Isaiah now paints a heartwarming picture of the conditions that God will bring about in the land. He says: “The wolf will actually reside for a while with the male lamb, and with the kid the leopard itself will lie down, and the calf and the maned young lion and the well-fed animal all together; and a mere little boy will be leader over them. And the cow and the bear themselves will feed; together their young ones will lie down. And even the lion will eat straw just like the bull. And the sucking child will certainly play upon the hole of the cobra; and upon the light aperture of a poisonous snake will a weaned child actually put his own hand. They will not do any harm or cause any ruin in all my holy mountain; because the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah as the waters are covering the very sea.” (Isaiah 11:6-9) Do these words not touch the heart? Notice that the peace described here results from the knowledge of Jehovah. Hence, more is involved than mere safety from wild animals. The knowledge of Jehovah will not change animals, but it will affect people. Neither on the way home nor in their restored land will the Israelites need to fear wild beasts or beastlike men.—Ezra 8:21, 22; Isaiah 35:8-10; 65:25.

In that restored Paradise, will Isaiah’s prophecy have a further, perhaps more literal, fulfillment? It seems reasonable to think so. The prophecy gives to all who will live under the Messiah’s rule the same assurance that it gave to the returning Israelites; they and their children will not feel threatened by harm from any source—human or animal. Under the Messiah’s Kingdom rule, all earth’s inhabitants will enjoy peaceful conditions like those that Adam and Eve enjoyed in Eden. Of course, the Scriptures do not reveal every detail of what life was like in Eden—or of what it will be like in Paradise. We can be confident, though, that under the wise and loving rule of the King Jesus Christ, everything will be just as it should be.

It could be that predation always existed and always will. You and your domestic animals will have nothing to fear. The lion and the wolf won't hurt us, our children, or our domestic animals. But after lying around with the lamb and letting your toddler crawl all over it, it might venture off into the wilderness and find a gazelle to snack on.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

44 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

I see creation as one big science experiment, with the spirit creatures being the scientists led by Jehovah the Great Scientist. Over time, some things had to go (like dinosaurs) and the time would come when Jehovah purposed to create mankind to make the earth a paradise (or, this was the purpose all along and the time came for this phase to move forward).

Possibly. The language in our more recent publications has intentionally been a little vague...

*** ip-1 chap. 13 pp. 163-164 par. 13 Salvation and Rejoicing Under the Messiah’s Reign ***

13 Isaiah now paints a heartwarming picture of the conditions that God will bring about in the land. He says: “The wolf will actually reside for a while with the male lamb, and with the kid the leopard itself will lie down, and the calf and the maned young lion and the well-fed animal all together; and a mere little boy will be leader over them. And the cow and the bear themselves will feed; together their young ones will lie down. And even the lion will eat straw just like the bull. And the sucking child will certainly play upon the hole of the cobra; and upon the light aperture of a poisonous snake will a weaned child actually put his own hand. They will not do any harm or cause any ruin in all my holy mountain; because the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah as the waters are covering the very sea.” (Isaiah 11:6-9) Do these words not touch the heart? Notice that the peace described here results from the knowledge of Jehovah. Hence, more is involved than mere safety from wild animals. The knowledge of Jehovah will not change animals, but it will affect people. Neither on the way home nor in their restored land will the Israelites need to fear wild beasts or beastlike men.—Ezra 8:21, 22; Isaiah 35:8-10; 65:25.

In that restored Paradise, will Isaiah’s prophecy have a further, perhaps more literal, fulfillment? It seems reasonable to think so. The prophecy gives to all who will live under the Messiah’s rule the same assurance that it gave to the returning Israelites; they and their children will not feel threatened by harm from any source—human or animal. Under the Messiah’s Kingdom rule, all earth’s inhabitants will enjoy peaceful conditions like those that Adam and Eve enjoyed in Eden. Of course, the Scriptures do not reveal every detail of what life was like in Eden—or of what it will be like in Paradise. We can be confident, though, that under the wise and loving rule of the King Jesus Christ, everything will be just as it should be.

It could be that predation always existed and always will. You and your domestic animals will have nothing to fear. The lion and the wolf won't hurt us, our children, or our domestic animals. But after lying around with the lamb and letting your toddler crawl all over it, it might venture off into the wilderness and find a gazelle to snack on.

Or might snack on another dead animal or the veneration of the land too.

45 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

Or might snack on another dead animal

Yes, this is possible too. Instead of hunters, carnivores will be scavengers. Perhaps hunting is only necessary due to a lack of food currently. 

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

2 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

Yes, this is possible too. Instead of hunters, carnivores will be scavengers. Perhaps hunting is only necessary due to a lack of food currently. 

True, there will no lack of food in the NW while being a scavenger.  Thank God for scavengers. We need them now and in the NW. They are good cleaners.

When it comes to this topic of creation (and many more), I feel like Job when he was asked by Jehovah: "Where were you when I founded the earth? Tell me, if you think you understand." (Job 38:4). I can´t wait to learn so much more about our Father´s wonderful, awe-inspiring creation in the New World. And it will never get boring, because we will learn new things every day eternally since "mankind will never find out the work that the true God has made from start to finish" (Ecclisiastes 3:11)

Chrissy :wave:

On 12/12/2023 at 3:25 PM, Desert Dan said:

Anyone have a simple explanation? 

I have an unsubstantiated theory ... I think in Genesis when Jehovah told Jesus let us make man in our image we came out and we are the work of his own hands.  But when the rest of the angels got into creating creatures perhaps they got caught up and influenced by each other and took creating animals to another level.  (it's just a theory though) who knows

4 hours ago, comtemplate said:

I have an unsubstantiated theory ... I think in Genesis when Jehovah told Jesus let us make man in our image we came out and we are the work of his own hands.  But when the rest of the angels got into creating creatures perhaps they got caught up and influenced by each other and took creating animals to another level.  (it's just a theory though) who knows

I'm not sure the other angels had a hand in creation. Do you have more information?

5 minutes ago, LeolaRootStew said:

I'm not sure the other angels had a hand in creation. Do you have more information?

I always found it curious that they could create human-like bodies to inhabit before the flood, fully capable of eating, drinking, and reproduction. This inclines me to think that they had some hands on duties back in the day, imo.

35 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

I always found it curious that they could create human-like bodies to inhabit before the flood, fully capable of eating, drinking, and reproduction. This inclines me to think that they had some hands on duties back in the day, imo.

but they did a terrible job

(their children were defective and unstable)

5 hours ago, LeolaRootStew said:

but they did a terrible job

(their children were defective and unstable)

Give a teen gods for fathers and superhuman strength and boys will be boys, lol :D