JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Did else anyone notice how "With Eyes of Faith" sounds like "You Raise Me Up"?

When I first heard the new With Eyes of Faith song in 2021, my first thought was that its chorus sounded a lot like the chorus of You Raise Me Upa song written by Brendan Graham and popularized by Josh Groban. They sounded very similar to me, but for some reason I didn't hear anyone talk about it. Was it just something so obvious that there was no point in discussing it, or was I just hearing things?

We had a couple of catchy advertising ditties that sounded like one of our songs, and we have a song similar to 'once in royal David's city'. 

It's also a problem when you are used to catchy music, which hum or whistle and then realise it's a hymn from the old days.

You are right. 
One of our songs in the past reminded me strongly a song, religious, about, the faraway hills. 1940’s old.”Memory kicked in. “The old master painter from the faraway hills”. And, if i stayed here long enough. I could tell you who sang it. 
It’s wonderful being 80. I, at last,  have an excuse for a pretty sketchy memory. That I have had all my life.
Stewart Hamblin.

See? Told you so…

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

There’s barely hear a resemblance. But it’s not enough for me to imagine some of the friends copied off of this song…

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

21 hours ago, Dages said:

There are songs that sound like popular music... like the Lord of the Rings one...

Yeah, I guess composers get influenced by the music they listen to and may sometimes subconsciously incorporate parts of other melodies into their own. 

12 hours ago, Cushi said:

There’s barely hear a resemblance. But it’s not enough for me to imagine some of the friends copied off of this song…

Meant to say “I barely hear” a resemblance.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

It’s not rare to find two music that sounds similar to each other sometimes—especially if it’s just a part of the music. There is a limit to the number of possible musical arrangements that can sound harmonic to human ears. If it can happen between two secular music, it can happen to our theocratic music as well.

For example, some people have suggested the similarities between If I Could Fly by Joe Satriani, and Viva La Vida by Coldplay. Examples like these show that such similarities are abdundant in the music industries, and are most likely unintended.

As for the similarity between With Eyes of Faith and You Raise Me Up, I can hear the similarities, but I doubt someone was influenced by it, considering the origin of the music.

I remember some time ago, we talked about other examples in the Theocratic Music thread. In that thread, I mentioned this particular example:

“Stand” by R.E.M. definitely sounds a lot like Song 76. How Does It Make You Feel?

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=1102016876&srctype=wol&srcid=share

“Stand in the place where you live….” How does it make you feel?

“Stand in the place where you work….” How does it make you feel?

Edited by Hinata