JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

NSA fears quantum computing surprise

NSA fears quantum computing surprise.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2024/mar/25/nsa-fears-quantum-surprise-if-this-black-swan-even/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=Samsung&utm_campaign=All-News&utm_source=upday&utm_medium=referral

I'll just put it this way with current computers and certain algorithms. It would take millions or billions of years to hack some pretty hefty encryption like your bank. If quantum computing becomes a thing those million/billions years turns into a day or less. Nothing would be safe... not even JW.org.

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby

17 minutes ago, chuck83 said:

NSA fears quantum computing surprise.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2024/mar/25/nsa-fears-quantum-surprise-if-this-black-swan-even/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=Samsung&utm_campaign=All-News&utm_source=upday&utm_medium=referral

I'll just put it this way with current computers and certain algorithms. It would take millions or billions of years to hack some pretty hefty encryption like your bank. If quantum computing becomes a thing those million/billions years turns into a day or less. Nothing would be safe... not even JW.org.

JW.org? We leave this in Jehovah hands since he is backing it up.

Just now, Dustparticle said:

JW.org? We leave this in Jehovah hands since he is backing it up.

What I'm saying is if quantum computing were to be a thing instead of the current compute power which would take millions if not billions of years to decrypt and/or hack AES-256 or RSA-4096. It's would take less than a day with quantum computing to hack those crypto algorithms. -Hypothetically for perspective- JW.org website could be defaced in minutes not millions and billions of years. Nothing would be safe in this world anywhere and it would usher in 1934 in 2024. 

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 

I considered this scripture with my personal Bible reading today. 

I personally have no fear of what men can do to true and pure worship. 

Zechariah 4:6-He then said to me: “This is the word of Jehovah to Ze·rubʹba·bel: ‘“Not by a military force, nor by power,+ but by my spirit,”+ says Jehovah of armies. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

This world is of no interest to us anymore then Jerusalem was of no interest to christians in 66C.E.

We are no part of the world so do not be anxious on what they can do or not do.  1 Thessalonians 5:3-11. Read again, and again, and again.

Nothing misses Jehovah's notice. Nothing.  Stay close to Jehovah, everything else matters not.

6 hours ago, Witness1970 said:

1934?  I was thinking of 1984!

1929-1939 was the Great Depression. Quantum Computing could usher in that basically with bad actors because no digital infrastructure would be safe unless the globe went quantum computing. But how much would it cost and how long would it take? Couple that with AI and the bad actors using it now? Mankind would be in jeopardy.

32 minutes ago, AH173 said:

I considered this scripture with my personal Bible reading today. 

I personally have no fear of what men can do to true and pure worship. 

I'm merely trying to explain technology because I'm in it daily for work and for Jehovah. Some friends don't think about technology and put themselves far from it until Covid-19 happened and they were forced to use a computer and Zoom. A lot complained. The brothers use brothers like me in technology and cybersecurity/network security to understand and be up to date on these things to keep you safe and JW stuff safe.

Cybersecurity and things related to network engineering/network security are checkboxes on the LDC form on the JWHub for a season. I'm trained in those things and updated constantly on threats. See my screenshots. With all due respect brother if the FDS didn't need those skills then it'd be a non issue. They need help from brothers like me. So I assist where I can. 

I hope that makes sense.

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 9.02.32 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 9.02.11 AM.png

Nice info Bro Mikey. It seems you are part of the process of keeping the organization secure.

Just do your personal best and Jehovah will bless the rest. I know that Jehovah has good communication abilities.👍

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Bro Mikey, thank you for updating us. This is just one more (obvious) threat we have to our existence. Everything now is globally connected through the internet - the cables under the sea and the satellite above. Electricity is generated by computer driven systems, and computer driven systems need heaps of energy to run.

Would it take much to tip this delicate balance? Without a working internet, no food, no shops, no petrol stations, no transport, no water, no sewage system, no electricity, no data delivery systems, nothing would work. You have pointed out a threat I personally haven’t considered yet. We can add that to the many existential anxieties of this world.

Of course it makes sense that our faithful organisation would use skills such as yours to protect its assets in these treacherous dark days. I’m sure we are going to see amazing things without needing electricity during Armageddon, but until then, may Jehovah keep using your generous gifts, and thank you.

I now also understand a tiny bit more about quantum computing.

23 minutes ago, AH173 said:

Nice info Bro Mikey. It seems you are part of the process of keeping the organization secure.

Just do your personal best and Jehovah will bless the rest. I know that Jehovah has good communication abilities.👍

7 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Bro Mikey, thank you for updating us. This is just one more (obvious) threat we have to our existence. Everything now is globally connected through the internet - the cables under the sea and the satellite above. Electricity is generated by computer driven systems, and computer driven systems need heaps of energy to run.

Would it take much to tip this delicate balance? Without a working internet, no food, no shops, no petrol stations, no transport, no water, no sewage system, no electricity, no data delivery systems, nothing would work. You have pointed out a threat I personally haven’t considered yet. We can add that to the many existential anxieties of this world.

Of course it makes sense that our faithful organisation would use skills such as yours to protect its assets in these treacherous dark days. I’m sure we are going to see amazing things without needing electricity during Armageddon, but until then, may Jehovah keep using your generous gifts, and thank you.

I now also understand a tiny bit more about quantum computing.

Thanks you friends. Agape!

Just think about the threats to God's word down through the millennia. Satan has put huge pressure on this holy book to either corrupt it or destroy it. Jehovah has preserved it, and in addition has seen to it that it has been translated into languages across the whole earth. The bible has been protected because it has been God's communication with us. Would he not protect any provision that gives out spiritual guidance to his global people, so that they can worship him acceptably?