JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

6 Killed at Shopping Centre- Sydney Australia

At least six killed and several in critical condition after Westfield shopping centre attack in Sydney

Authorities said they do not know who the suspect is, nor the motive of the attack, but confirmed there is no longer a threat.

[Cobe reports all in local cong are accounted for.]

https://news.sky.com/story/major-police-operation-under-way-after-reports-of-multiple-stabbings-at-shopping-centre-in-sydney-13113923

Old (Downunder) Tone

He was not a terrorist, at least. I think we all initially worried it might have been because that’s a big Jewish area. However, he was struggling all his life with mental illness. Though known to police, it was not in the criminal sense. He had been living rough for many years in his car. 

So, it makes it scary to think how he was pushed to this atrocity. This shows how broken we are as a human race. 

Mental illness is a terrible thing,

But why would a mentally challenged person be allowed to roam the streets instead of be in an asylum? I don't expect something like that In a developed country like Australia.

In the USA,I hear alot of drug inflicted homeless people are common sights on the streets now.

Why Is the welfare system in developed countries suddenly failing abysmally.

We haven’t had asylums since the 60s and 70s. We have mental health systems. Which he was part of, until he dropped out of the public system and was left to struggle in the private. That is very expensive, and I imagined his parents did their best to help out because earlier in his life he would live with them on and off. One report says he graduated university with a Bachelor in Arts, so he would have been trying to manage as best as he could. But slowly slowly over the years, he didn’t keep contact with his family and lived in his car in a city in Queensland. He was 40 when he moved to Sydney a month ago, and was renting a small storage container.

Reports today by police say it’s obvious he targeted women. So, there's the motive. Mentally ill mysogynistic misfit.  It’s scary because there are a  lot of misfits in society. It kicks vulnerable people to the curb and there are no services to help them anymore. You have to be blaringly mental and psychotic to be locked up in a mental ward. He was broken already.

Does Satan manipulate these ones, I wonder?

another stabbing in Sydney. This time of a bishop of the Assyrian Orthodox church, all caught on livestream.
Police confirm it was a "terrorist incident'

The ASIO authorities say that it appears to be "religiously motivated."

https://www.9news.com.au/national/sydney-bishop-priest-stabbed-prime-minister-anthony-albanese-condemns-attack/d641483b-98cb-4a51-adb9-77dcbd507091

Old (Downunder) Tone

1 hour ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

The ASIO authorities say that it appears to be "religiously motivated."

https://www.9news.com.au/national/sydney-bishop-priest-stabbed-prime-minister-anthony-albanese-condemns-attack/d641483b-98cb-4a51-adb9-77dcbd507091

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

There will be many more scenes such as these will happen as the world continues going spiralling downhill as the system ends. Where this attack at this Assyrian Orthodox church happened is only a couple of suburbs away from a Kingdom Hall that was bombed back in the mid-80's, which was rebuilt in 1990.

With the recent events lately in Australia, I say we may have a more tightening of security at our meeting places, whether it is at our Kingdom Halls and our places for assemblies. It may come to be that we may require to wear and display our name cards for our circuit assembies as a form of security measure, not just for regional conventions, especially now after the changes to our clothing attire for meeting together, which may make it harder for security to monitor suspicious visitors which now can blend in much easier within the crowd.

As we have to I know our congregation is due to have a yearly review of our security procedures as we have been looking at some dates, as now that most of our public holidays have now passed, I suspect we will have one in the coming weeks. We may have to tighten up some aspects of what were are doing, reverting to some of the things we used to do many years ago when our KH was under threat itself by some disgruntled ones.

This tragic attack on innocents simply shopping has really rocked me. I think cause shopping at a Westfield shopping centre is such a normal everyday outing here, I was at one a week ago with one of our daughters. We should feel safe there. Unfortunately in this system we aren't safe anywhere, that has become abundantly clear. What has really affected me with this event is the stabbing of the 9 month old baby in her pram. Her poor mother tried so hard to help her while she was dying herself. Thankfully the baby is recovering in hospital but to attack a baby is just the most depraved you can get and as a mother with a little one still in a pram myself this really hit home. 

Edited by GoldAussieGirl

On 4/15/2024 at 9:06 AM, hatcheckgirl said:

Reports today by police say it’s obvious he targeted women.

I’m not entirely sure this is true. From the little footage I saw, he target people who weren’t going to fight back. 

He appeared to avoid confrontation (not sure how to account for his stabbing the security guard, unless he had no choice). My opinion is he wanted to die (suicide by cop). That explains why he lunged at a police officer pointing a gun at him—he knew he would die. Prior to that he didn’t want to risk being tackled and overpowered by civilians because that would spoil his plans. It’s still possible that he went out of his way to target women, but I think his primary aim was to die. 

However, that’s based on the few facts I am aware of. I could be completely wrong. 

Trivia: He was a patient at the Hospital I work at, though I don’t think I had any contact with him.