JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Addon for Text Now Available!

• 2 weeks later...

JW Web Add-on

VERSION 7

This add-on update is the successor to JW Addon for Text. A name change was necessary as the features it provides no longer reflect the original name.

This update brings the version number to 7 and includes several new features and improvements:

• Root Control: This new feature allows you to control all features from the ‘Root Control’. You can force certain features on or off according to your preferences.
  • QR Code: This new feature enables the creation of QR code for each selected text and media, with the option to download the QR code for various uses.
  • Media Timestamps: This new feature allows you to create links to videos with added timestamps and provides the ability to continue watching the video from the website to the app.
  • Copy Text: This new feature makes it easy to copy paragraphs with a single click, reducing the need to manually highlight and copy text. It also supports Japanese Furigana and Chinese Pinyin texts.
  • Subtitle Customization: This new feature allows you to customize subtitle fonts and styles to minimize distractions while watching videos.
  • Custom Media Player UI: This new feature adjusts the transparency of video controls to maximize visibility while interacting with them during video playback.
  • Video Transcript: This existing feature now extends across the entire website, excluding dialog boxes, making it easy to download video transcripts.
  • Visual UI Improvements: Several visual improvements have been made to the existing features.
  • JW Stream Support: The add-on now supports JW Stream.
  • Bug Fixes: Multiple issues in the existing features have been resolved.

Instructions on how to find and use these features can be read on jwpubs.org/addon.

Additionally, a new dedicated webpage is now available where you can see all the features, instructions, and other information about the add-on. Visit jwpubs.org/addon for more details.

This update will be available for download in the following add-on store providers:

Due to the change in the product name, store links from older versions will no longer work. Please use the following new store links to download the add-on. Please note that if links show a different product name or appear unavailable, it is because the new update is still pending review by the add-on store providers before its release.

• Chrome Web Store
    • Download Here
    • Notes: Web browsers other than Google Chrome that support the Chrome Web Store, like Brave, Vivaldi, Kiwi, Yandex, and more, can also download this add-on for both desktop computers and mobile devices. To check if your web browser supports it, try to download the add-on.
  • Firefox Browser Add-ons
  • Microsoft Edge Add-ons
  • Opera Addons 
    • Download Here
    • Notes: Users will need to download this new add-on and uninstall JW Text Marker. A name change was not possible with the previous add-on, so a separate add-on has been released.
  • Naver Whale Store
  • Apple Safari Extensions
    • Download Here
    • Notes: This add-on is not yet available for Safari. However, other iOS web browsers like Orion, which support the Chrome Web Store, can be used as an alternative.

Users who have already installed the current add-on (except Opera) may need to restart a specific feature if it fails to work after the update. This is due to the code overhaul, which may be causing the issues.

Note
If a feature similar to one in this add-on is officially provided by the website, you can disable the corresponding feature using the root control in the add-on to avoid conflicts. The next update of the add-on will eventually remove any redundant features.

Any issues regarding the add-on can be sent to me via direct message. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Several more features and improvements are currently in development. In fact, as of this writing, 12 new features, improvements, and fixes are expected to be released in the coming weeks.

I hope this new add-on update will further benefit publishers in their study and research.

image.thumb.png.8525c54c75370b2c0fddbc1568c3fd72.png

"For now I would be lying down undisturbed; I would be sleeping and at rest."  Job 3:13

Thank you, thank you!  Been following this thread for awhile and finally had time to play, downloaded the extension and wow!

My first foray into using this tool. . .I love it!  Installed on MS Edge and I'm just getting familiar with it, as I don't use Windows except as a remote desktop for running Watchtower Library and I'm having to reacquaint myself with using a Windows browser, since it's been about 10 years since I left MS in the dust.  Showed it to my hubby and he downloaded it to Chrome on his Mac and parts of it worked, but not all features, as expected.  He liked the features he had though.

I love being able to download a .txt file of video subtitles to refer to and having the ability to work in two windows, one click copy/paste. . .really nice for study and notes. Just scratching the surface and look forward to really making good use of this.  Thank you and look forward to upcoming additional features.

"Where the scriptures and and the slave are silent, I do not speak." :bible2:

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Watching and Waiting said:

Thank you, thank you!  Been following this thread for awhile and finally had time to play, downloaded the extension and wow!

My first foray into using this tool. . .I love it!  Installed on MS Edge and I'm just getting familiar with it, as I don't use Windows except as a remote desktop for running Watchtower Library and I'm having to reacquaint myself with using a Windows browser, since it's been about 10 years since I left MS in the dust.  Showed it to my hubby and he downloaded it to Chrome on his Mac and parts of it worked, but not all features, as expected.  He liked the features he had though.

I love being able to download a .txt file of video subtitles to refer to and having the ability to work in two windows, one click copy/paste. . .really nice for study and notes. Just scratching the surface and look forward to really making good use of this.  Thank you and look forward to upcoming additional features.

I am glad it works great! 😁😁

Some features won't run right away unless you've accepted the privacy policy of jw.org and toggled the necessary settings. For example, for the alt text feature, you need to accept the privacy policy, refresh the page to apply your acceptance, and then enable alt text using the button found right beside the appearance settings at the bottom of the webpage.

Another cool thing is that whenever you fill in the comment boxes on the website, you can easily transfer them to the app by selecting the input box with your comment, clicking the link icon, and then selecting JW Library. It will copy your comment from the website and open the JW Library app at the same time. Once the app is opened, it will automatically open the exact publication and comment box in the app. The only thing you have to do is paste it.

For more information about all the features, you can visit jwpubs.org/addon. More features are coming in the future, but for now, it's all about bug fixes. 😂

Edited by gusdn1

"For now I would be lying down undisturbed; I would be sleeping and at rest."  Job 3:13

A friend from other congregation is reporting that the meeting data is not showing up and he can't update it...

I've made a troubleshooting with the help from NWS site but nothing solved the issue. Anyone has any experience on this?

image.png.9b37d33b2f38f5e59bf5b37b979fe762.png

Posted (edited)

JW Web Addon

A new update will be available this week.

This update includes several bug fixes and enhancements to the existing features:

TL;DR: The update fixes issues with comment copying, subtitle customization, alt texts, and more. It also improves performance and visuals for alt texts, media player UI, video transcripts, media timestamps, and more. All customizations will be reset, so please reapply them after the update.

• Fixed an issue where copying comments from the comment box was not possible using the copy feature.
  • Fixed an issue where transferring comments from the website to the app displayed an English tooltip instead of the website's language.
  • Fixed an issue where Bible chapters and verses did not align properly in right-to-left languages.
  • Fixed an issue where the dialog box would fail to load if one of the values was missing.
  • Fixed an issue where alt text did not work properly in accordion groups, slick slides, and flip books.
  • Fixed an issue where changing the language of an article would fail to include the alt text for that language.
  • Fixed an issue where the z-index of link and copy context menus were not leveled properly with the media context menu.
  • Fixed an issue where copying comments on sign language articles did not work.
  • Fixed an issue where subtitle customizations button would appear in random locations on the media player.
  • Fixed an issue where scrolling the subtitle customization menu would scroll the entire page instead of just the content.
  • Fixed the height issue in the subtitle customization menu.
  • Fixed an issue where some features would not run properly unless the addon was restarted.
  • Improved the performance and visuals of alt texts, ensuring they no longer take up too much space. Long alt texts are now scrollable.
  • Improved the process of downloading QR codes for the study Bible by using the mnemonic instead of the document ID.
  • Improved the visual appearance of the media player UI to better match the original design.
  • Improved the visual appearance of the root control.
  • Improved the visual appearance of the alt text and expand width buttons on WOL.
  • Improved the performance and visuals appearance of dialog boxes.
  • Improved the performance of the daily text button.
  • Improved the performance and functionality of video transcripts.
  • Improved the performance of subtitle customizations.
  • Improved the performance of the expand width feature.
  • Improved the performance of Language Count.
  • Improved overall performance of the add-on to prevent impacting the website performance.

Reminders

JW Library Sign Language is not available in the Media Timestamp dialog box. Sign language videos will now open directly in JW Library. Publication links will remain available for now.

Due to these bug fixes and improvements, all user customizations made prior to the update will be reset. Please reapply them after the update.

This update will be available for download in the following add-on store providers:

• Chrome Web Store
    • Download Here
    • Notes: Web browsers other than Google Chrome that support the Chrome Web Store, like Brave, Vivaldi, Kiwi, Yandex, and more, can also download this add-on for both desktop computers and mobile devices. To check if your web browser supports it, try to download the add-on.
  • Firefox Browser Add-ons
  • Microsoft Edge Add-ons
  • Opera Addons 
    • Download Here
    • Notes: Users will need to download this new add-on and uninstall JW Text Marker. A name change was not possible with the previous add-on, so a separate add-on has been released.
  • Naver Whale Store

Note
If a feature similar to one in this add-on is officially provided by the website, you can disable the corresponding feature using the root control in the add-on to avoid conflicts. The next update of the add-on will eventually remove any redundant features.

Edited by gusdn1

Posted (edited)

Here's a quick throwback to this add-on.

I'm going to share an old 30-second video clip of one of the first working builds of the add-on to show how it looked and ran during its early development. Enjoy! 😁

Edited by gusdn1

Coming Soon to JW Web Add-on

The upcoming update will include new features and improvements:

• Continue Watching: This new feature allows publishers to continue watching a video from where they left off.
  • Media Player Control Keys: This new feature allows publishers to control audio and video players using keyboard keys.
  • Expand Width: This existing feature will now allow publishers to expand the content width on jw.org.
  • Unified App: This existing feature will now open sign language content in the JW Library instead of the JW Library Sign Language.
  • Bug Fixes: Several bugs have been fixed.

More details about these features will be provided in the future.

Please note that if a feature equivalent to one in this website add-on becomes officially available on the website, that feature will be removed from the add-on to avoid conflicts.

Continue Watching screenshot preview:

image.thumb.png.254c4e23fd4688f11d7d33657d40841a.png 

Edited by gusdn1

• 2 weeks later...

There will be no major update released this month, which would have included the five new features announced earlier, as well as other unannounced features for the add-on, because I am currently preparing for the 2024 Annual Meeting. The next update will be after the Annual Meeting. No further comments will be provided.

Edited by gusdn1