JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Apartment Block Explodes. 2 sisters safe!

Posted (edited)

Sydney, Australia

One of our older sisters was just arriving home when her block of apartments blew up (yesterday). Her and the sister bringing her home were narrowly missed by a flying window in the explosion. Her apartment is completely destroyed. We had a Branch rep visit (yesterday), so the meeting went 30min longer.

She would likely have been home and killed if our meeting had finished 30 minutes earlier. Very fortunate! 

According to the TV news this morning, the sisters have been discharged from hospital after an overnight stay....

The apartment block of 4 units is destroyed. While a gas leak is suspected, no examination has been carried out. 1 person is missing, and news are  thoroughly searching the rubble. One dog was saved. The search continues this morning.

Newspaper report here:

Search continues for woman trapped under rubble of Sydney townhouse after Whalan explosion

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06-02/search-continues-for-woman-missing-after-sydney-blast/103924384

Old (Downunder) Tone

SydneyAu.jpg

SydayEx2.jpg

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

1 hour ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

We had a Branch rep visit (yesterday), so the meeting went 30min longer.

Sorry, I’m confused. Did Sydney have a Branch rep visit? Because I was in Sydney yesterday and we just had a normal meeting.

Thank Jehovah those sisters were spared, because that looks like total annihilation.

Sorry, I’m confused. Did Sydney have a Branch rep visit? Because I was in Sydney yesterday and we just had a normal meeting...

I think this is a 'rep' visit to the local cong that these sisters attend. The quote posted was basically passed on as it was written, from a brother in 'their' cong... (I don't live in Sydney)
I will pass on any more news as I hear it.

Old (Downunder) Tone

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

She would likely have been home and killed if our meeting had finished 30 minutes earlier.

That's a good encouragement to enjoy meeting and stay after to discuss with the friends, right ?
Glad the sisters are safe

Posted (edited)

They may have been been St Mary's congregation, as it would have been their weekend meeting time. 

However, CO visits weekend meetings are usually conducted on a Sunday, not on a Saturday even though multiple congregations use the same KH. But that may not be the case for some congregations.

However, I can check with a few that I know who have contacts still in that congregation.

Edited by Pabo

It just came to mind, if their meeting wasn't with the CO, it may have been a Bethel Speaker, as usually they wouldn't change their meeting time, but they may their service meeting on either the Saturday or Sunday evening when the other congregations are not using the KH.