JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Any recommendations for a tablet?

Not at that price point. You should be happy with the Google Nexus 7.

I often find refurbished units, floor models, or last years models up in the $250-$350 range when taking the time to hunt for them. The current things on the market that are worth anything are hovering around $350-500. If you are fine with the 7 inch screen, then get that Google Nexus, IMO.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I liked the Kindle Fire cos of the 7 inch screen, it fit in my purse. So I think I will order that. I wish I could afford the Galaxy Nexus 7 phone too lol. We are looking to cut off the 2 yr contracts Leons and Mine are done with 9/2 but Sprint doesnt have any no contract that I know of.

Get more exercise....walk with Jehovah!

Looks like a sweet deal here, especially with the $25 of credit they give you for apps and stuff....

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_7_8GB?id=nexus_7_8gb&hl=en

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I have both the Kindle Fire, which is 7 in. and a tablet that is 10 in. I like the tablet for studying better than the kindle. For me the print is too small on the Kindle Fire for underlining.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I went to order the nexus 7 and under terms I have to get "google wallet" I don't know about that.....

I think it's just like a "PayPal" account. You link a credit card or bank account to your Google account. Any of us who have Android phones have to link a payment card with our Google accounts to pay for any "paid" apps. I haven't heard of any problems with it. I use it a lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Wallet

You mean my credit card that I have linked to my Google Account that gets charged when I buy an app from Google Play is a "Google Wallet"?

Umm... okay. I am fine with that. Call it what you want Google boys :P

I just wanted to give you guys an alert on the google. I had my credit card details linked on the phone. 2 times my account was used without my approval. I had to cancel the card.

Like google play. I have just discovered. Aptoide. I must be behind in technology. Lol. but they are like the Android market use to be. You have more to choose with the apps. Some you pay some you don't

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I just wanted to give you guys an alert on the google. I had my credit card details linked on the phone. 2 times my account was used without my approval. I had to cancel the card.

If the card was used on Google Play without your permission, somebody was using your phone without your permission.

If the card was used somewhere else without your permission, then somebody could have gotten your card number from anywhere at all. Think about how many people you hand that card to day to day, and especially to those whom take it away from your dining table or somewhere else out of your site in order to run it through the machine.

I've had my card used for purchases I did not authorize (and one was for like $1000 worth of candy from an overseas website). I received a phone call from the bank asking if this was really me because the computer flagged this transaction as unusual. I said "You bet it's unusual! That's not me at all" and they cancelled the card and sent me a new one.

Man that's a lot of candy.

I know different subject.

A friend of mine he Is Italian, he is a chef and he had some approns made etc. He paid the guy what he owed. & then a few days later he noticed a very large sum drawn out of his account he went back to the guy. This guy refused to give back the money. My friend new it was this guy. So my friend you think he was with the Mafia. So he went back with another friend and also he took a base ball bat. Said listen mate I want my money.The guy saw the bat. It was enough to for him to see he should give the money back. My friend didn't have use the bat, but it was enough to scare the guy.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so lost...... the Kindle Fire HD comes out in Europe Oct. 25th. I was thinking of buying one (199 Euro). The thing is: I want to be able to read our magazines on it, to underline, to write notes. Is the display to small for that (7 inches)? I always read here about JW Reader... is this a program I could use with the Kindle?

Please help me.... :cry:

I'm so lost...... the Kindle Fire HD comes out in Europe Oct. 25th. I was thinking of buying one (199 Euro). The thing is: I want to be able to read our magazines on it, to underline, to write notes. Is the display to small for that (7 inches)? I always read here about JW Reader... is this a program I could use with the Kindle?

Please help me.... :cry:

I don't know if the European version will be like the one here in the US. Here, the Kindle fire is not a true Android device, you cannot download Android apps for it aside from the few that Kindle provides unless you "root" (Jailbreak) it.

But a lot has changed since they were first released here and it's hard to keep up. Vernalee has had experience with both the Kindle fire and the color, so hopefully she will post here to correct me if anything has changed.

But a lot has changed since they were first released here and it's hard to keep up. Vernalee has had experience with both the Kindle fire and the color, so hopefully she will post here to correct me if anything has changed.

And I think she returned the Kindle.

Personally, I would avoid the Kindle and get the Google Nexus7 if you are interested in the 7" screen and the $199 price tag...

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57507776-251/kindle-fire-hd-vs-nexus-7-which-one-is-right-for-you/

^ Check that out.

I still have the Kindle Fire and after having it rooted, I changed it back to the Amazon OS because it kept freezing up on me. You can study your WT and other books easy enough and underline too, but I don't like trying to use the PDF files and the Kindle Fire doesn't read the epub files. There is someone who does the Mags and books in Kindle format. I study my WT in the Kindle format, even on my ASUS transformer but their are other apps that do the same thing even better, but you can't teach an old woman new tricks . The 7 in screen works fine for underlining the mags, but I went for the 10" screen because of my eye sight problems. If I had to do it over, I would skip the Kindle Fire.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I'm not sure why, but I seem to have more success with underlining with the Kindle format. It's just me, I'm sure, and I got used to the Mobi (Kindle format) so I just go with that. If the brother stops doing the Mobi for the mags then I'll have to learn the other programs. I got an ASUS 201 TF Prime EEE Pad. I really like it a lot because it is fast, very reliable, and I can get the Apps I want. The cost was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I'm glad that's the one I got. You can also get a keyboard for it and when you use the keyboard, the battery life is extended to almost twice as much. Now Grumpy wants one. I got a really nice App called NWT Bible and downloaded the English and Chinese Simplified NWT's and just discovered that while helping my Chinese RV I can go to the scripture in English and then immediately go to the same scripture in Chinese. I just love it. It is really nice to use at the meetings.

does someone know anything about the Acer Iconia A200 25,7 cm (10,1 '')? 299 Euro.

What do you want to use your tablet for?

Your answer will determine if this is good for you or not. The latest and greatest tablets have Nvidia Tegra3 processors and can display some sweet graphics and make the overall tablet perform faster. Of course, this is a moot point if you are not a gamer, because a few games will only work on Tegra3 tablets.

Beyond that, if all you want to do is take it to meetings, study your material, post on facebook, watch YouTube, visit JWTalk, listen to music, and snap pictures, then this tablet will be just fine.

I really only want a tablet for the things you mentioned, for meetings, studying, and so on.

Then it should be fine. Dual core processors are good. Memory is expandable but the average user never needs more than what the device comes preinstalled with. All the apps I can think of that a brother or sister would want, JWReader, JWPlayer, ezPDF or Mantano Reader, iSilo, etc, will all run just fine on the Acer Iconia a200 that you cited, even being that this tablet is a model that is a couple years old.