JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Any recommendations for a tablet?

I took the Kindle Fire back and ordered the Google Nexus 7 tablet and I am in total love with it. It has 7" screen, fits in my purse, I have JW reader on it, my online stuff, I have to do lists grocery lists and just got an app for my family and pets health records...meds, vaccinations, etc. and it syncs with my Sprint LG Optimus as it is "Googled" and is an Android. Oh, yeah, and my mah jongg games lol. It has a camera so someday I will get it to Skype or Oovoo or Google+ and visit with my online Friends. :crush:

Get more exercise....walk with Jehovah!

You can always adjust the size of the font, if you need too. The 7 inch screen is not to small, but I needed the bigger one for studying. There are plus's and minus's for both.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

It has a camera so someday I will get it to Skype or Oovoo or Google+ and visit with my online Friends. :crush:

I got rid of Skype. Never tried Oovoo, but am in love with Google Plus!

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

and you don't have the feeling that the 7'' screen is too small?

You can pinch to zoom much of the time or change the default font size.

But, my 10" Toshiba Excite x10 is about the size of a Watchtower or KM, so I like this better. I do see others with 7" tablets though and they like them.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

It is hard to decide Astrid.just make sure you are happy & can use the programs & that it has what you need, & where you get the device from that if you have problems with it they will help you out & not make you run around. Like our mobile ph, company we had to leave they were bad for reception & all the rest.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

it's so hard to decide on a good tablet, there are so many options.

True, but many of these options are just the same devices with the same specs made by various manufacturers. Go with a reputable brand and the best price.

I got Grumpy an Acer Iconia A200 10.1" Android Tablet Tegra 2. We got it yesterday. I like it a lot and it does everything my ASUS does for less than half the money. Now I have to teach him how to use it. :wheelchair:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I got Grumpy an Acer Iconia A200 10.1" Android Tablet Tegra 2. We got it yesterday. I like it a lot and it does everything my ASUS does for less than half the money. Now I have to teach him how to use it. :wheelchair:

I see it comes with Gingerbread but can be upgraded to Ice creme sandwich. Have you done the upgrade yet? Is it an OTA (Over the air) upgrade or do you download it and install with the SD card?

Also, do you have access to the full Android market (Google play store)?

I don't know anything about the Gingerbread and Ice cream, sounds yummy, but yes I have the full android market on it.

Thanks!

They are both different versions of the Android operating system. If you have the chance to upgrade from Gingerbread to Ice creme sandwich, you should do it, there is a noticeable improvement in features and speed.

I don't know anything about the Gingerbread and Ice cream, sounds yummy, but yes I have the full android market on it.

Thanks!

They are both different versions of the Android operating system. If you have the chance to upgrade from Gingerbread to Ice creme sandwich, you should do it, there is a noticeable improvement in features and speed.

Vernalee, go to Settings -> About Tablet -> System Updates to check for an update. You will probably be able to download Ice Cream Sandwich if you do.

Ice Cream Sandwich = Android 4.0

Honeycomb = Android 3.0

Gingerbread = Android 2.3

Froyo = Android 2.2

etc etc

I'm still loving my Nook Tablet. Of course, I had to root it. It's OK unrooted (and you can study for all the meetings), but I definitely encourage everyone with one to root it. It opens it up to FULL POWER!!!!!

With JWReader, Isilo for WT Library and a few other files provided by some brothers, I've got one incredible tablet. I use it for all the meetings and for conducting the meeting for service 1 or 2 times a week. I also use it for my callbook out in service.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone have any info on the "suface" computer Microsoft is making?

How does it compare with other tablets?

I read this article but it doesn't help me much

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20121027/BIZ/710279921

Is it worth considering?:sweat:

I'm also considering a Microsoft Surface, seems to have good specifications and reasonable price. It runs Windows RT, not Windows 8 so the WTLib CD-Rom will not work, nor will any previous windows software, only Windows 8 apps. So for study purposes you could use Watchtower online, unless someone else writes an app.

Or you wait for a few months for the Surface Pro, which runs the standard Windows 8.