JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ziplock Omelets

This is good for kids sleepovers and camping. Very easy and fun for kids. Take a ziplock sandwich bag and crack in two eggs, and a pat of butter, put whatever toppings you like (onion, bell pepper, jalenpenos, bacon bits, cooked sausage crumbles --be creative) Squish all ingredients together in bag by gently rolling between hands. You can refrigerate now and write names on each bag with black permanent marker. Bring a large pot of water to boil and drop the bags in and boil 13 minutes. Next just unzip and slide them onto a plate. Garnish with salsa, ketsup or whatever you prefer. I use todo this for my kids slumber parties. They made them up the night before and the next morning made their breakfast while the biscuits were baking. Easy cleanup too!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

This is good for kids sleepovers and camping. Very easy and fun for kids. Take a ziplock sandwich bag and crack in two eggs, and a pat of butter, put whatever toppings you like (onion, bell pepper, jalenpenos, bacon bits, cooked sausage crumbles --be creative) Squish all ingredients together in bag by gently rolling between hands. You can refrigerate now and write names on each bag with black permanent marker. Bring a large pot of water to boil and drop the bags in and boil 13 minutes. Next just unzip and slide them onto a plate. Garnish with salsa, ketsup or whatever you prefer. I use todo this for my kids slumber parties. They made them up the night before and the next morning made their breakfast while the biscuits were baking. Easy cleanup too!

How long in advance can you make them? I could do that for this week!

Mmmm clever. The first chill of night I bought eggs and turkey bacon and shredded cheeses and double fiber toast who wee ready for winter..so soon?! Thanks Leslie!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

I don't know the answer to your question Nancy, but after researching on line it appears eggs will keep for a very long time )one experiment showed over 7 months if refriegerated--it did not spoil but did loose some integrity regarding the "fluffliness" when scrambled. I have made ahead egg casseroles for as long as four days prior to baking so I am sure that is the minumun you could expect. What I did was put out little bowls of ingredients the kids would enjoy adding (fresh mushrooms did not do as well this way as when you actually saute them in a frying pan) but fresh spinach was devine. Believe it or not the kids adding things to their baggie that they would not normally ask for I think it was just fun and creative for then to do this. The "omelets" really look like omelts too. Do not salt and pepper the eggs until after they have cooked because the salt does change the texture of the eggs if they sit overnight--a little tougher because it changes the protiens in some way that is over my head but not over my tastebuds!

Venus, I think you will enjoy this too. So easy when cooking for many people with particular tastes and likings. We also did this on Christmas Eve when there was alot of family visitng. It was just fun to do this as a family, everyone gathered round assembling "their" masterpiece to their liking--then the next morning only one easy pot to wash! To waiting time since they were all boiled at once. Hope you enjoy!

LeslieDean

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

No freezer. Just put the eggs in the refriegerator where you normally store the eggs. I would not prepare the eggs more than a day or two at most ahead of time because of bacteria. They have their own container (shell) that works quite nicely.

LeslieDean

Thanks Leslie.

I found at Kmart for camping a plastic hard egg case.

I thought I try your method too. :)

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I have to admit I had my reservation about "zip lock omelets" but I tried it today and it was delightfully good. I boiled 3 bags at once. The big advantage over frying is that all three were done and hot at the same time. So we all ate at the same time without keeping some in the oven to stay warm. The egg part was nice and fluffy and all the cheese was melted. Good Idea.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25