JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Mexican Recipes please ...

Hi, Lori:

My mother-in-law is from New Mexico and she shared with me a great and easy salsa recipe.  By coincidence, I saw my mother-in-law's recipe on the "Pioneer Woman's" Website (a.k.a. Rhee Drummond).  Her website is:  www.thepioneerwoman.com.  I believe you will have to convert some of the cooking measurements to metric.

Restaurant Style Salsa

Prep Time 10 Minutes
Cook Time   Servings 12 Difficulty Easy TPW_5376.jpg Ingredients
  • 1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes With Juice
  • 2 cans (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced Tomatoes And Green Chilies)
  • ¼ cups Chopped Onion
  • 1 clove Garlic, Minced
  • 1 whole Jalapeno, Quartered And Sliced Thin
  • ¼ teaspoons Sugar
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt
  • ¼ teaspoons Ground Cumin
  • ½ cups Cilantro (more To Taste!)
  • ½ whole Lime Juice
Preparation Instructions

Note: this is a very large batch. Recommend using a 12-cup food processor, or you can process the ingredients in batches and then mix everything together in a large mixing bowl.

Combine whole tomatoes, Rotel, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender or food processor. Pulse until you get the salsa to the consistency you’d like—I do about 10 to 15 pulses. Test seasonings with a tortilla chip and adjust as needed.

Refrigerate salsa for at least an hour. Serve with tortilla chips or cheese nachos.

That dish sounds awesome.

I have heard of cilantro. Is it a type of Parsley?

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

That dish sounds awesome.

I have heard of cilantro. Is it a type of Parsley?

Great question!  I absolutely love Cilantro, and it is also known as Coriander or Chinese Parsley.  It is a herb used extensively in Mexican, Caribbean, Indian, Middle Eastern and Asian cooking.  Hope you get to try it one day.

Thanks Glenda. I love coriander. I will look for it. Yummo.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Yum! Yum! Yum! Yum! Yum!

I LOVE salsa - what a great recipe !!!

I don't know about the 'rotel' tho.

But I can just chop up some chillies.

Oh - we call cilantro  'coriander' over here in Oz.

Absolutely love it's smell!

And I use it with mint for a Vietnamese dish - rice paper wrapped around prawns, cucumber, angel hair noodles, mint, coriander and dipped in fish sauce - SOOOO good!

Edited by 50gumbys

Yum! Yum! Yum! Yum! Yum!

And I use it with mint for a Vietnamese dish - rice paper wrapped around prawns, cucumber, angel hair noodles, mint, coriander and dipped in fish sauce - SOOOO good!

We make that too. But we use one big basil leave instead. But I'll have to try it with cilantro. I love cilantro. Some people hate it. I think it's one if those things you either love or hate.
Edited by star-bug