1 can green enchilada sauce

1 can of mushroom soup, or any cream soup

2 cans of pinto beans or kidney beans, doesn’t matter, I use what I have

1 can of corn

1 can of chopped olives, if you wish

1 lg. onion chopped fine

We like garlic so I use a lot in my sauce but it isn’t necessary

Left over Chicken, Turkey, Beef, Pork. You need a couple of handfuls shredded

1 16 oz. package shredded cheese, we like the hot kind. Any will do.

Mix the green sauce, soup, and sour cream, no water or milk in soup.

In a big casserole dish line the bottom with a little of the sauce mix to just wet the dish.

Next layer one third of your torn pieces of tortilla in the bottom of the dish

Add ½ of your corn, olives, onion, and meat spread in layers on top of tortillas

Spoon some of your sauce on top of this and spread it out so there is some everywhere

Next goes a layer of cheese, we like lots

Now another layer of tortilla

Layer the rest of your corn, olives, onion, and meat on top of tortillas

Another layer of sauce on top and another layer of cheese over the sauce

Last layer the rest of the tortilla’s and then cover with rest of the sauce and the rest of the cheese.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until it is bubbling and the cheese is melted and browned.

My family love it, and so do all my friends. I make it when we have KH work days to feed the workers. It goes together fast and is easy to transport to the hall.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I've been making this since it first came out in the Taste of Home mag 12 years ago , it's the sauce thats so good. I use a broasted chicken already cooked and I don't roll the tortillas I layer them with the flat edges against the sides of the pan and then fill in the middle with smaller cut pieces , it comes out better layered that way. Chicken Chili Lasagna Ingredients 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened 1 medium onion, chopped 8 green onions, chopped 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided 2 garlic cloves, minced 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, divided 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro 3 cups cubed cooked chicken 1/4 cup butter 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 1-1/2 cups chicken broth 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme 1/8 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon pepper 12 flour tortillas (6 inches), halved Directions In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, onions, 1-1/2 cups Mexican-cheese blend, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon cumin and cilantro until blended. Stir in chicken; set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, chilies, thyme, salt, pepper and remaining cumin. Spread 1/2 cup of the cheese sauce in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with six tortilla halves, a third of the chicken mixture and a fourth of the cheese sauce. Repeat tortilla, chicken and cheese sauce layers twice. Top with remaining tortillas, cheese sauce and Mexican cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings. Originally published as Chicken Chili Lasagna in Taste of Home April/May 2000, p25

133607=7461-exps12004_TH10101C25A.jpg

One of our favorites is a slow cooker recipe.

You start with...

2 cans of black beans (rinsed)

16 ounces of your favorite salsa

1/2 cup of brown rice (uncooked)

1 pound of frozen chicken breasts

Put the chicken in the slow cooker first

Then pour everything else over it

Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.

Usually serves 4 to 6 people, depending upon appetites. :)

And we've come to change it up in a lot of ways --- fresh chicken and leftover rice work well in just 4 hours --- we've also used "instant" rice at times; leftover chicken; taco seasoned ground turkey; added in other veggies - fresh onions, diced tomatoes, other types of beans, even adding some cheese during the last 30 minutes or so... so many ways to make this different and so easy to do!

Andee

• 2 weeks later...

:chef: We tried this for supper last night. Family liked it and would eat it again. I was so easy to make :ecstatic:

One of our favorites is a slow cooker recipe.

You start with...

2 cans of black beans (rinsed)

16 ounces of your favorite salsa

1/2 cup of brown rice (uncooked)

1 pound of frozen chicken breasts

Put the chicken in the slow cooker first

Then pour everything else over it

Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.

Usually serves 4 to 6 people, depending upon appetites. :)

And we've come to change it up in a lot of ways --- fresh chicken and leftover rice work well in just 4 hours --- we've also used "instant" rice at times; leftover chicken; taco seasoned ground turkey; added in other veggies - fresh onions, diced tomatoes, other types of beans, even adding some cheese during the last 30 minutes or so... so many ways to make this different and so easy to do!

Andee

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

This is a great pork (carnita) recipe that is insanely good. I fix it when having alot of the friends over and it is always asked for. Take a 4-6 pound pork shoulder and put it in a large oven proof pan (I use a roaster). Sprinkle the meat with two teaspoons of ground cumin and two teaspoons of Mexican Oregano and 1 tsp of chili powder, and salt and pepper to your taste.. Take a can of adobe peppers with sauce and two cans of Dr. Pepper, or Coke, or Root Beer and pour over it. Do not use diet soda--you need the sugar in the real stuff. Seal with foil and place in a 300 degree over for 9 hours. I use gallon size ziplock baggies and prepare shredded lettuce in one, grated cheese in another, and chopped onions and tomatos in smaller zip bags. You can remove the pork from the pan and shred with forks and let cool then place in zip lock bags. With the broth from the pan stir in 1/2 cup of brown sugar and bring to a boil. Make a paste out of cornstarch and water (2 T of cornstarch to 1/4 cup of cold water for approx every two cups of liquid in your pan. Now stir in and bring to a simmer till thick. You can take the shredded meat and place on a cookie sheet covered with foil then put in a hot 400 degree oven and cook for approx 20 -25 mins--letting the ends of the meat crisp. Do this part right as everyone is gathering to eat. Set up your table with the condiments for the tacos and use a hot skillet to soften corn tortillas (please do not use flour tortillas) Place the meat on the soft corn tortilla and spoon on a tabelspoon or so of the pan sauce that you have thickened then dress the tacos as desired. Enjoy!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

That sounds like a great recipe. I haven.t cooked meat with coke before. Does the coke make a caramilised effect?

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I think I have posted this soup before..... It is delicious!

Make-Ahead Chicken

Cut 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs into ½-in. cubes. Heat 1 tsp vegetable oil

in Skillet over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Add chicken and cook 7-10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Drain chicken, if necessary.

Cheesy Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 portion Make-Ahead Chicken

3 cups tortilla chips, finely crushed

2 cups frozen corn kernels

8 oz pasteurized process cheese spread, cut into 1-in. cubes

1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies

2 tbsp Chipotle Rub

2 cans (14 oz each) reduced-sodium

Chicken broth

Optional toppings, such as shredded Cheddar cheese, snipped fresh cilantro, Diced tomatoes and additional crushed Tortilla chips

1. Combine cheese spread, tomatoes, rub and broth in a 4qt. casserole. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook 12-14 minutes, until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth, stirring occasionally.

2. Add chicken, chips and corn. Simmer 4-6 minutes, or until soup is thickened.

Serve soup with optional toppings, if desired.

Nachos

I like to make nachos..... I know, easy stuff! But here is how I make mine:

Preheat oven to 400.

Using 1 - 2 jelly roll pans or cookie sheets, layer tortilla chips on pan (leaving well in the middle of chips). Sprinkle shredded cheddar or mexican blend cheese on chips.

Sprinkle chips and cheese with taco seasoning or chili powder. Set aside.

Cook 2 lbs. ground chuck (or any ground meat you like, including turkey), drain.

Add 1 can refried beans to meat

Add 2 taco or 1 taco, 1 chili seasoning packet

Add 1/2 to 1 Cup of water.

Cook til beans are hot and blended with meat and sauce is thickened (6-10 minutes).

Add salsa (optional).

After meat is done, spoon into well of both baking sheets, cover with xtra cheese, bake til cheese is melted, about 5 minutes!

Serve with guacamole, sour cream, black olives, jalapenos and extra salsa on the side.

Now for family, I place pan in middle of table, we grab some paper plates and forks and scoop onto our plates, each adding our preferred sides!

Enjoy!

Holly Berg

I think y'all make better Mexican food than they do here in Mexico!

Here's a really easy recipe, if you can find the ingredients.

Entomatadas

About 7 red tomatoes, blend in blender, let cook on stove until you think it's done. It's better to let some of the water evaporate.

queso fresco, broken up with fork. about 400 grams

corn tortillas, not the breakable, yellow americanized ones, but flexible soft tortillas. They are usually whiter. You can also make them from "Maseca".

When the tomato sauce is done, I just run a tortilla through it(I don't run them through hot oil like most people do), put it on a plate, add some cheese, fold it in half then do another one. I usually eat around five. After I have five on there, I do the next plate. We are two people, so then I add all the remaining tomato sauce on top and add more cheese.

Here is a website that seems to explain it well. They use onions, which are good, too.

http://www.lacocinadeleslie.com/2010/05/entomatadas.html

Another food that is really tasty is Chilaquiles, if you ever get the chance to try them. I don't know how to make them, but they are so good!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chicken Enchilada's

Boil chicken the pull the chicken as you would pull pork

Shred some Monterrey jack cheese.

Dice some fresh onion

Mix the sauce with 1 sm can of tomato sauce to 1 sm can of salsa (recommend "Salsa del Pato" a small yellow can)

Take corn tortillas and briefly fry each one in a frying pan.

Then dip the tortillas into the sauce mix and lay in a bake pan.

Then fill each tortilla with chicken, onion, and cheese as you like.

Once the bake ban is complete cover it with the left over sauce mix and sprinkle the left over cheese.

Then bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 350 degree oven.

• 1 month later...

You tie a rope to one leg, connect it to something capable of the job and pull quickly .... :lol1: ... just joking - I was "pulling your leg".

To "pull" pork or chicken (or any other cooked meat) you hold the cooked meat still and use a fork to shred the meat using a pulling motion to removed the meat in small ribbon like strands, generally "with the grain", not across it. This method allows for some type of sauce to mix into the meat for added flavor. It also makes the meat more "tender" to eat. (tu)

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

You tie a rope to one leg, connect it to something capable of the job and pull quickly .... ... just joking - I was "pulling your leg".

OK - that really scared me !!!!!!

And then I realised you're just crazy. :ecstatic:

I remember Mum cooking roasts that just fell apart by themselves.

No need for ropes or anything!

• 2 weeks later...

How bout chicken or beef fajita burritos.

I cook meat and veggies separately. The meat an be seasoned with salt pepper and little chili powder and cumin.

veggies should be chooped garlic onions bell peppers sugar lime and little tequila. Once veggies cooked add to meat. Throw into tortila of choice with jack or cheddar and salsa of choice

Burritos - are they donkeys? I'd like to see one of those on the barbie!

Mexican sounds great to me, (as long as the ingredients are easy to obtain in the UK too). I fancy having a go at it.

Not sure about donkeys in the UK, but Burger King has a special on horse burgers:ecstatic: