JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The beloved DingDong is dead (not to mention Twinkies)':cry:

134540=7506-Dingdong.jpg It's a sad day for those of us who love DingDongs. Perhaps you heard that Hostess is shutting its doors shortly and some of our favorite 'junk food' will go the way of the dinosaur. So Musky and I went on an expedition today (3 days too late unfortunately) in a futile attempt to track down a box of Ding Dongs. Our first stop was CostCo--ya, right--nothing there. Then a quick search of the local Ralph's supermarket--zip. Even tried the RiteAid a few doors down from Ralphs...Again, zip, nada, nuthin.... So I googled 'Ding Dongs' and, guess what?! You can buy a box of 24 on Amazon for about 90 Bucks!!! Is that insane or what?!??! But, before I was reduced to tears, I searched online and found--lo and behold--a recipe! We can make our own!! YAY!! So, for all of you who like to indulge in the occasional delights of a DingDong, take heart and dry those tears..All is not lost for I'm including the link (pictures included) so you can make your own" Ding Dong recipe

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D

Gabrielle, this is a sad day for me too, and my son. Not because there is no more DingDongs , but for the 18,500 who lost their jobs. My son is "one" of that number. He has worked for Hostess/Wonder bread for 13 years. Thursday was his last night.

It will mean no more pay checks, no more medical benefits, no more paid vacations which he used for assemblies. He was not in the group that went on strike but he had to pay the price.

Sorry if I sound bitter, but we are both upset.

Yes, sometimes we see a number like "18,500" and it seems abstract to us. It's hard to comprehend that those are people, with families that our now without an income, some of our brothers and sisters are a part of that number. My prayers go out to your son and the rest of those affected. It is almost the same as those affected by disasters.

It's interesting to read how some blame the union that went on strike, where others blame management, others "wall street greed" and some even Congress because of their high tariff imposed on sugar imports. Just my opinion, but the average worker at Hostess made $43,000 a year, so it didn't look like "union greed" to me.

When it comes down to it, it is Satan and his system that is to blame for this and all mankind's suffering!

I'm so sorry to hear that, Helen. I feel badly for your son. It's a very unfortunate situation. One would think that a company that's been around for so long could resolve the problem and stay in business. Sadly, it's people like your son that suffer for their inability to do so.

Life in this system is so unfair.

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D

Gabrielle, this is a sad day for me too, and my son. Not because there is no more DingDongs , but for the 18,500 who lost their jobs. My son is "one" of that number. He has worked for Hostess/Wonder bread for 13 years. Thursday was his last night.

It will mean no more pay checks, no more medical benefits, no more paid vacations which he used for assemblies. He was not in the group that went on strike but he had to pay the price.

I am so sorry for you and your son!!!! You do not sound bitter and you have every right to be upset, this is just a terrible thing to have to deal with. My husband's company has been in bankruptcy for a year now, and it's been very stressful on us, wondering and worrying if he will keep his job. Layoff's have started, some brothers who work there have gotten their lay off notices, and I can't imagine how awful that must be.

I truly hope your son finds a job very soon!!!! Praying for your family.

There may be some hope!!!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324307204578129282170898870.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

The judge today is asking the company and union to go into meditation to avoid liquidation.

"Judge Drain acknowledged the company took a "significant economic hit" as a result of the strike but asked whether liquidation was the right path to take. "Moving to a liquidation is also a significant economic hit, and I think that many people, myself included, have serious questions as to the logic behind the decision to strike and a concern that it may be as a result of differences as far as information and goals," the judge said. Such differences "might be better worked out with a neutral third party in private as opposed to raising these issues in public."

Foxnews is now reporting that the two sides have agreed to meditation with the hopes of avoiding liquidation.

I hope for your son and the other employees they can work this out. Glad the judge feels this is the right move.

Ava, thank you very much for the encouraging information. I know how you must feel too with your husband's situation. It's like a roller coaster ride.

I do know that Jehovah will help him and other brothers find work if laid off. King David said "a young man I used to be and now I have grown old, but never have I seen the righteous forsaken entirely or their offspring looking for bread". Ps. 37:25

Again, thank you for the encouragement and I really appreciate the wonderful brotherhood we have.

• 2 weeks later...

134540=7506-Dingdong.jpg It's a sad day for those of us who love DingDongs. Perhaps you heard that Hostess is shutting its doors shortly and some of our favorite 'junk food' will go the way of the dinosaur. So Musky and I went on an expedition today (3 days too late unfortunately) in a futile attempt to track down a box of Ding Dongs. Our first stop was CostCo--ya' date=' right--nothing there. Then a quick search of the local Ralph's supermarket--zip. Even tried the RiteAid a few doors down from Ralphs...Again, zip, nada, nuthin.... So I googled 'Ding Dongs' and, guess what?! You can buy a box of 24 on Amazon for about 90 Bucks!!! Is that insane or what?!??! But, before I was reduced to tears, I searched online and found--lo and behold--a recipe! We can make our own!! YAY!! So, for all of you who like to indulge in the occasional delights of a DingDong, take heart and dry those tears..All is not lost for I'm including the link (pictures included) so you can make your own" Ding Dong recipe

Here is the Twinky Recipe: Twinkies Ingredients • Non-stick spray • 4 egg whites • One 16-ounce box golden pound cake mix • 2/3 cup water • Filling • 2 teaspoons very hot water • 1/4 teaspoon salt • 2 cups marshmallow creme (one 7-ounce jar) • 1/2 cup shortening • 1/3 cup powdered sugar • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla Preparation You will need a spice bottle, approximately the size of a Twinkie, ten 12 x 14 -inch pieces of aluminum foil, a cake decorator or pastry bag, and a chopstick. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Fold each piece of aluminum foil in half twice. Wrap the folded foil around the spice bottle to create a mold. Leave the top of the mold open for pouring in the batter. Make 10 of these molds and arrange them on a cookie sheet or in a shallow pan. Grease the inside of each mold with a light coating of non-stick spray. Disregard the directions on the box of cake mix. Instead, beat the egg whites until stiff. In a separate bowl combine cake mix with water and beat until thoroughly blended (about 2 minutes). Fold egg whites into the cake batter and slowly combine until completely mixed. Pour the batter into the molds, filling each one about 3/4 of an inch. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean. For the filling, combine salt with the hot water in a small bowl and stir until salt is dissolved. Let this mixture cool. Combine the marshmallow creme, shortening, powdered sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl and mix well with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy. Add the salt solution to the filling mixture and combine. When the cakes are done and cooled, use a skewer or chopstick to make three holes in the bottom of each one. Move the stick around inside of each cake to create space for the filling. Using a cake decorator or pastry bag, inject each cake with filling through all three holes. Serving Size Serves 10 :raspberry: