JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Therapeutic Martial Arts

Has anyone heard of this? The lady I spoke with said it's not religious or violent.It teaches discipline and self-control and self defence.There is a sensay , don't know the spelling.

If anyone has an opinion or experience with such things I'd appreciate it.

I do the P90x work out and there are some karate type moves in the cardio exercise, but that is VERY different from going to a "sensei".

We have several articles karate and all of them show how learning it from a sensei would not be appropriate.

Try this one as an example - Awake'84 Dec 22 "Wado-Kai Karate—The True “Way of Harmony”?"

Facing the Decision

This time the study continued without letup. In time I realized that what I was learning from God’s Word did not agree with my love for karate. For one thing, Paul’s words that “bodily training is beneficial for a little” conflicted with all the time I was devoting to sports.—1 Timothy 4:8.

Further, as the Witnesses emphasized to me, karate has as its objective hurting an opponent, which can kill or seriously injure a person, even unintentionally. Although this was true, still it was hard for me to accept. How could I forgo all that I had pursued so zealously for 12 years?

I agreed with the Scriptural counsel not to trust in weapons for self-defense because they have often caused the death of innocent people. (Ecclesiastes 9:18) ‘But was practicing karate really comparable to possessing weapons?’ I reflected reluctantly, recalling what Isao Obata, co-founder of the Japan Karate Association, once remarked about karate: “The mind is the gun and the body the bullet.” ‘Could Jesus’ words, “Return your sword to its place, for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword,” refer to practicers of karate?’ I pondered uneasily. I knew I had to make up my mind.—Matthew 26:52.

One day at school I gathered all my pupils, mostly high school students. Instead of another bout of karate, the perplexed students heard their sensei speak about Jehovah God, explaining that martial arts are not in harmony with the Bible. They listened quietly as I told them that I had decided to close the school for good.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I asked about this because the school I was interested in sending Sam to requires all students take this all 4 years of high school.The principle told me this yesterday.But after reading that article it's a no. She said this is not your normal martial arts,they do have a sensei though and they wear the garb, it looks pretty much like the real thing.

I have another high school calling me this afternoon.They don't have a dress code though, I like the uniform schools,that's what he had in elementary school, we fight a whole lot less over what he wants to wear to school when he is required to wear khakis and polos.

I can never think about karate without thinking of Barney Fite (Andy Griffith). Many think of Ralph Machio--not me--always Barney.

We really think alike Leslie, as soon as I read nance's post, I thought of Barney saying "My whole bodies a weapon!"

It was so funny hearing him say that and then looking at that skinny little body of his! LOL

I thought I remembered that in South Korea - martial arts training in school is also required and was getting a lot of JW children expelled - as they would not go.

I can't find that in the yearbook, perhaps it was another country.

I did find:

Similarly, a student who had been at the top of his class was expelled because his conscience would not permit him to take part in the martial-arts drills required by the school. Both felt that they had been wronged, but should they complain? If they did, could they hope for relief or would it only make matters worse?

In most lands today, there are courts and other appropriate authorities that can be appealed to in hopes of gaining a measure of relief. When the student mentioned in the beginning of the article took his complaint to court, the judges ruled in his favor, and he was reinstated with an apology from the school.

Freedom of Religion Upheld in Japan

FOR many years in Japan, young students who are Jehovah’s Witnesses have faced a dilemma: Should they follow their Bible-trained conscience, or should they follow a school curriculum that violates their conscience. Why the dilemma? Because martial arts drills are part of the physical education course in their schools. The young Witnesses felt that such drills did not harmonize with Bible principles, such as the one found at Isaiah chapter 2, verse 4. This reads: “They will have to beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears. Nation will not lift up sword against nation, neither will they learn war anymore.”

Not wanting to learn warlike skills, which involve harming another person, young Christian Witnesses explained to their teachers that they could not conscientiously participate in the martial arts. After trying to persuade these students to accept the school curriculum, many understanding teachers eventually agreed to respect the consciences of the students and provide alternative activities.

However, some teachers became emotional, and some schools denied the young Witnesses credits for physical education. In 1993, at least nine Witnesses were denied scholastic advancement and were forced to quit school or be expelled for not participating in martial arts.

Clearly, it was time to defend the right of young Christians to receive an education without having to compromise their conscience. Five students who were denied promotion to the second grade at the Kobe Municipal Industrial Technical College (called Kobe Tech for short) decided to take legal action.

I guess it was Japan and not S. Korea

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

This case in Japan is FASCINATING - especially as we consider the video this week and it includes info about Kobe Japan earthquake.

This case goes to the supreme court and ...

On January 17, 1995, about a week after the school appealed the case to the Supreme Court, the Kobe earthquake hit Ashiya City where Kunihito and his family lived. At about half past five that morning, a few minutes before the quake hit the area, Kunihito left his house for his part-time job. He was cycling along the road underneath the Hanshin Expressway, and when the quake struck, he was just approaching the portion that collapsed. Immediately he went back home and found the first floor of his house completely smashed. Kunihito saw that he could easily have lost his life in the quake and thanked Jehovah for permitting him to survive. If he had died, it is likely that the kendo case would have ended without the Supreme Court decision.

The Supreme Court in Japan usually examines appeals on paper only and judges whether or not the lower-court decisions were correct. Unless there is a serious reason to reverse the lower-court decision, no hearings take place. The court does not notify the parties concerned when the opinion is to be given. So Kunihito was taken by surprise on the morning of March 8, 1996, when he was told that the decision would be handed down that morning. To his joy and delight, he learned that the Supreme Court had upheld the Osaka High Court decision.

Four judges, with Judge Shinichi Kawai presiding, ruled unanimously that “the actions in question should be regarded as exceedingly improper from the socially accepted norms, deviating from the realm of discretionary rights, and hence illegal.” The court acknowledged the sincerity of Kunihito’s refusal to do kendo drills and said: “The reason for the appellee to refuse participation in kendo drills was earnest and closely related to the very core of his faith.” The Supreme Court judged that the school could have and should have provided alternative means so that the appellee’s religious belief might be respected.

Amazing!!!

Soon .....

I can never think about karate without thinking of Barney Fite (Andy Griffith). Many think of Ralph Machio--not me--always Barney.

Me too. Leslie.

Wax on wax off. Can you catch a fly wit your chopsticks?

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Well none of the schools have returned my calls, which I will be a totally insane person if I have to have him home next year.I can not do 4 years of high school.I can barely pay my own bills I am extremely depressed and terribly disorganized.I cry day in and day out even on good days I really don't think I can do this another year .

I did not want to do it in the first place.I asked my husband do you really think I can handle this.But my sons school changed what grades went there it's only elementary now .

Even Sam is saying he wants to go back to school. I cry throughout the entire day everyday, but he's managed to keep up because I read everything there is to be done to make sure he isn't missing anything.He got all B's the first semester but there was sooooo much work.

I have absolutely nobody to talk with about this. Nobody at all.

I feel like I am ruining his life having him home with his crazy mom.I want him with other kids but maybe not 1500 other kids like at the high school but a smaller environment that doesn't require martial arts.

That;s wonderful Nancy. We have several families here that home school via on-line then they meet up and do "school" activities and outtings together. If it does not work let me know because these sisters appear to be doing a great job and their kids (ages fro 9-17 love it). They could help you with any questions you have I am sure. One pioneer sister also substitutes as an elementary teacher and told us a really cute story about one of her students. She had a rather lengthy assignment because the regular teacher had a premature baby and the baby was in neonatal ICU for several months. Anyway, Darla taught the class and this little boy was very fond of her. At the end of the school year he came up to her and wrapped his arms around her knees (first grader) and smiled up at her and enthusiastically said "Mrs. Miller you are the best prostitute we have ever had!" She said kindly "You mean substitute" and he said "Whats prostitute" and she told him to go home and ask his mother.:hammer:

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I am So glad/happy for you Nancy.

I have to say I admire anyone who does home schooling. You sound like an awesome mum. My sister inlaw does it she is expecting her 3rd anyday now &she makes cakes for weddings.

I like your photo very sweet. :grouphug:

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I am So glad/happy for you Nancy.

I have to say I admire anyone who does home schooling. You sound like an awesome mum. My sister inlaw does it she is expecting her 3rd anyday now &she makes cakes for weddings.

I like your photo very sweet. :grouphug:

Thanks, with this tablet I can take self portraits....I have been photographing everything.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I remembered that in South Korea - martial arts training in school is also required and was getting a lot of JW children expelled - as they would not go.

I guess it was Japan and not S. Korea

I know this thread is a bit old now but I have just read it

just to say you were right Jerry it was South Korea the brother that stayed with us said they many loose marks or credit in their schooling because they had to fail an entire subject Martial Arts.

Love this thread it is sooo multi-layered to add another layer :offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::grouphug::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic:

their school system is sooo crazy in S.Korea in middle school you start at 8-and go till 10pm you may have to travel more than a couple of hours on the subway to get there.

If you fall asleep you get whacked in the head or beaten with a metal pole yep they have corporal punishment in S. Korea:deadhorse::crackwhip::hammer:

The brothers have such a hard time in such countries.