JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Samsung Note

I keep getting a message for selecting a service pack

On my Android & I go to select ok or the box.

Is there another link I need to follow please. & Thanks.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

• 4 weeks later...

Musky I did what you said.

But the phone keeps going to service pack download. She is running slow Ive deleted loads of data.

But keeps saying Memoray full.

So I take more if. shoule I take it back to Telstra.

Or Am I not doing somwthing right.

Ta for help

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

It needs to download the service pack before it can install it and if it's the Jelly bean update, it's very large so if there isn't enough free memory, it won't install. You might take it to Telstra and see if they can manually install it.

Or get a good micro SD card and then go to settings/application manager and start moving the apps that will let you over to the external SD card. See if you can free up enough memory to install the update.

The Jelly bean update is kinda wide as the thumb when it comes up. Thats What you mean?

When the message comes up its as wide as my thumb almost.

Thats ok. I didn't know the Jelly bean expression in PC talk. Except Candy. Lol

Sorry what is Mb please.?

New to me.

Sorry what is Mb please.?

New to me.

LOL, you asked almost the same question here:

http://www.jwtalk.net/forum/read.php?53,147735,147746#msg-147746

Except you asked what "gb" meant and not "mb" :)

So if you ever see "kb" used, it will mean "kilobytes"

So, just to clarify, "jellybean" is the name of the latest Android operating system (OS). I am just assuming this is what your note is trying to update to. So you should try what I suggested and move what apps you can to the external memory (removable or built-in) and see if you can free up some memory so the update will download. If that isn't the problem, take it back to where you got it and let them deal with it.

Thanks Musky

I am still learning PC lingo.

Its as hard as Maths for me like squares & roots.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to "menu" then scroll down to the bottom to "about device" Then "software update" then "check now" at the bottom. If it finds an update tell it to go ahead and install it.

...Hi Chuck..I like my ice cream sandwich..my husband has jellybean on his tab 2 and that's good for the tablet...I am now trying to decide if I should get CHROME or FIREFOX for my note phone or keep using the browser that came on the phone..does it have a special name too? And would any browser use more ram than the one in the phone now?...still learning...Don still likes his SNUGG case...will monitor thread for any help you can give us..thanks

:coffee:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

I am now trying to decide if I should get CHROME or FIREFOX for my note phone or keep using the browser that came on the phone..does it have a special name too?

I use Chrome and love it. I also like Dolphin Browser.

You may wanna stay away from the stock browser....

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/39576-major-security-hole-in-aosp-web-browser/

I think you only have to worry about that if your phone is rooted, but still, none of the other browsers have that issue.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

It is really just what you can get comfortable with. You might want to try a few different browsers and then when you find the one you like, uninstall the others. I switch between browsers often. As Bob said Chrome is very good. I also like "Boat browser" because it actually has an "exit" button that shuts it down instead of just backing out of it when you're finished by hitting "home". I have read that the "stock" browser are actually versions of Safari. As Bob mentioned, the security flaw in the stock browser is affecting rooted devices because unless you're rooted, nothing can access the systems SQL database.

Thanks Brothers for your input..I read Firefox let's you use a password, but I am new to these devices and worry that I might do something wrong that will hurt my phone!:exclamation:

cat2_e0.gif

I am now trying to decide if I should get CHROME or FIREFOX for my note phone or keep using the browser that came on the phone..does it have a special name too?

I use Chrome and love it. I also like Dolphin Browser.

You may wanna stay away from the stock browser....

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/39576-major-security-hole-in-aosp-web-browser/

I think you only have to worry about that if your phone is rooted, but still, none of the other browsers have that issue.

...Bob, when I went to Google play store I saw Dolphin mini also. Which one is good for a novice?...website changed back love the one earlier!

cat2_e0.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have been able to update each item individually.

Now its working again.

I have also deleted loads of photos & stored pages i no longer use. Today I went to open some pictures in the gallery &Says memoray full. I deleted 800 photos. As i now sync them to Google Plus.

Cleaned out all the trash folders. Is there any other folders I have forget to empty? Or something else I should do.?

App Drawer -> Settings -> Storage

This will tell you where you are using up all your space. You can even tap on one of the areas in the graph to see more detail. You can delete from this screen too but be careful that you know for sure that you don't need what you are deleting.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Thanks Bob.

When you use your Note does it get hot. I was using it earlier this evening. In the end I couldn't hold the device it was pretty hot.

Just now I went to the Wifi setting to make sure its running of my bigpond wifi. The note froze. Then this red arrow showed up it was odd.

No i have not experienced that. Something is working overtime on your device. You can find out by going to Settings -> Battery what is eating up your power.

Plus, as i tell my wife constantly, power off the device once a day. This will help prevent performance issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I had to take the battery out to get the phone to be able to

Recharge.

I found a place for an Mini SD card. So is that the device that will

Create more memory.? I have had the ph. For 6 months & just discovered.

Yes. The SD Card slot is for expandable memory. You can use it like an external hard drive and save photos, videos, music, and publications to it, leaving the device memory free for apps and app data.

Thanks Bob.

They don't come provided with the Note.

I just go to officeworks or similar place is that right?

It explains to me why I don't have enough storage. Lols.