JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Selling on Ebay?

I'm hoping I chose the right place for this, I apologize if I didn't.

I just wanted to get your thoughts on something :

I know when we get a jobe the first thing we are to do is tell our employer we are a Jehovah's Witness. If a JW were to sell items on ebay, should they include in their profile that they're a JW or not? Epsecially if their items merely consist of things like beaded jewelry or auto parts?

Just wondering if anyone knew of an article for this or maybe some scriptures? ^_^

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

Natasha,

I have an eBay store and don't. Of course my husband is a non witness. I think even if it were just me, I probably still wouldn't. For work place, it makes sense as you don't want to a victim of one of those monthly birthday parties and you are also letting them know your schedule as to meetings and assemblies. With an eBay store you don't have to answer to bosses or anything like that. That being said, I did have a customer that purchased from me whose son passed away in a car accident that I will be witnessing to via a card and brochure.

I think in your case it would be up to you if you wanted to include it in your about me page or not

Angela

I don't see the need to disclose that information to potential buyers. I run a construction business and only mention it if I have to or see an opportunity to witness appropriately. My wife runs a daycare and says it to every potential client because it may effect how they feel about having her raise their child. Oddly enough, one of our clients is a pastor, and he even has a daycare in his own church.

Last month I was offered a large contract on a Hindu temple, so obviously this matter had to be brought up.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

A friend of mine who is an elder in another congregation owns an irrigation business. NOWHERE on his trucks does it mention "JW Owned" or any other mention of his being a witness. When he answers the phone he does NOT say, "Thank you for calling, I am a JW."

Just because you own a business does not mean you have to "advertise" that it is Witness owned. When the opportunity comes up, yes, you give a witness.

I see no reason to specify on eBay that you are a JW just because you are selling something. The reason you tell an employer is for YOUR benefit. This is not the case on eBay. People buying from us don't need to know and most would not care ... in fact, it could have the inverse result as some may leave negative feedback just because we are a JW, and that could hurt your sales and not look good.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~