JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dinner Party Ideas

Debbie makes this Southwestern lasagna that is amazing. Ill lpok for the recipe.

I like to make BBQ ribs slow cooked in the oven, then cut em up, drain amd put a layer of honey on and then a mix of whatever BBQ sauce - whatever Costco has on sale and slow cook another hour.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I like to buy proscuitto & boccocini. Wrap the proscuitto around the bocc. Tie them up together with pieces of shallots. They are long & green & look fancy.Or Canteloupe.

Make up a mixed cheese & dip platter. With crusty french sticks.

Honey soy chicken. Lots of finger food.

Like mini meat balls with curry & onion chpped onion

&greated cheese.

I buy a big packet of the Asian spring rolls & the greek ricotta &spinach triangles.

Have fun Nancy.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Oh,those sound like great ideas. I'd love to try the southwestern lasagna.

I was just laying in bed thinking what is something different I could make. I'm having an older couple, she's coming to teach me how to knit....I'm so excited!

And a teen for Sam.

I also like to melt chocolate either dark or white & dip strawberries or if you want a buzz add some chopped red chillies.

I have also discovered how to make Ganache·^ or a simple toping for a chocolate or sponge cake.

Heat some cream 500mls add dark or white choc. Stir it till melted thru. Allow to cool a little. You will get a film over the choc. Stir again pour over your cake

While still a little warm add some frozen berries ontop for garnish. Enjoy.

That method when you put it on the fridge becomes moussy.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I also like to melt chocolate either dark or white & dip strawberries or if you want a buzz add some chopped red chillies.

I have also discovered how to make Ganache·^ or a simple toping for a chocolate or sponge cake.

Heat some cream 500mls add dark or white choc. Stir it till melted thru. Allow to cool a little. You will get a film over the choc. Stir again pour over your cake

While still a little warm add some frozen berries ontop for garnish. Enjoy.

That method when you put it on the fridge becomes moussy.

Sounds great! I am going to make lasagna , salad and graham cracker pie....hope they like it.

I haven't had very many dinner party's, if you can't tell , but I'm trying to widen out. This is the third couple we've had from our new Hall.

I love my new Hall....they are very hospitable so I'm trying to be also.

Nancy--if you keep making lasange and graham cracker pie you will have no problem widening out!

Well you didn't have to tell me twice:lol1:

I made cheesecake instead....sounded better with Lasagna ...and invited more people so less to eat.

Anyways....you were supposed to give me more ideas....healthy ones....

Please pretty please tell me what Graham Cracker Pie is?????
It's a custard pie with meringue topping , lots of graham cracker crumbs.Here's a recipe. :star:Hint....Must use organic or farm bought eggs....store bought are very hard to make meringue with....don't know why.:shrugs: Old Fashioned Graham Cracker Pie Ingredients Crust 2 cups graham cracker crumbs 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar 1/2 cup melted butter Filling 2 cups whole milk 3/4 cup sugar 3 tablespoons cornstarch 3 egg yolks, beaten 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract Meringue 3 egg whites 2 tablespoons sugar Preparation 1To prepare the crust, combine the first four ingredients. Add the butter and mix well. Reserve about 1 tablespoon of the mixture for the topping; press the remainder into a 9-inch pie plate to form the crust. Bake for 5 minutes in a 400-degree oven. 2To prepare the filling, place the milk in the top of a double boiler. Warm over medium-high heat, until a skin begins to form on top of the milk. 3Mix the 3/4 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons cornstarch together, then slowly add to the milk until the mixture starts to thicken like a pudding. 4Add about a 1/4 cup of the mixture to the egg yolks, mix to heat up the yolks, then repeat. Slowly pour the egg yolk mixture into the double boiler, stirring constantly. 5Continue to cook until the mixture is thick. Stir in the vanilla extract and add the mixture into the pie crust. Allow to cool. 6To prepare the meringue for the top of the pie, beat the eggs whites, slowly adding 2 tablespoons of sugar. Continue beating until soft peaks form. 7Spread the meringue over the pie and sprinkle on the reserved graham cracker crust crumbs to garnish. 8Brown the meringue slightly in a 375-degree oven for 6-7 minutes. 9Cool and refrigerate for at least four hours before serving.

150397=8250-piegc4.jpg

• 2 months later...

If you like shrimp and garlic here is another one of my receipies. 

1 lb bag of (grey shrimp) with shell  (put in dish, let warm/cool water drip on the shrimp, they peel easier)

2 small cloves of garlic

1 handful of parsley

chop up the garlic cloves and parsley together very fine (no chunks)

1 frying pan (9 inch) size or 8

1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil

add oilive oil in pan

let olive oil warm up, (keep a lid on it)

take peeled shrimp (1 lb worth) add to pan, stir. 

add minced up parsley and garlic to the pan, stir

add 1/2 cup of water,stir

DO NOT ADD ANY SALT

keep at low medium heat.  Will normally feed 2 or 3. 

My problem with dinner parties is I put too much emphasis on the food and wear myself out.  ( I love to cook and entertain)  I am trying to do more prep ahead of time so I can visit with my guests and put more into the association.  I am sure your guests will appreciate the invitation and that you thought of them.  Your menu sounds great!!!

Proverbs 16:3  "Commit to Jehovah whatever you do and your plans will succeed."