JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Wt Biblelibrary - English - (Android)

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3964 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

if the app fetches info from the site it should be no problem but I don't know any that does that for the library (excepting for pdf magazines or mp3)

this is not the case with the app linked above witch brings the info already embedded

Whatever the case there is a big concern for ME for any app that comes from unknown sources:

with the world near the end there is a growing amount of false things on the internet.... I think our enemies, that want nothing more than our destruction, that multiply theyre sites like cancer cells, can do the same thing in trying to rip us from our rich food.

We can't be cautious enough!

The best and most secure way is go directly to the source

I can be exaggerating and I don't know if any specific app does this ... but I don't know the opposite either! Instead of showing info from the official site they can show a different info and you are not aware of that! They can even show the real thing for a while to gain your thrust and than start showing the wrong without you noticing...

Just for the record, the above like never ever happens. Every utility, program, app, website that I have seen a brother create for our benefit has been trustworthy and beneficial.

If the app author for the program above decided to start tarnishing the theocratic material in his program with falsehoods, somebody would recognize it very quickly and word would spread through emails, the various JW discussion boards and mailing lists including this one, as well as through social networks. News travels fast today.

You say "We can't be cautious enough", and while in principle this is true, we can be overly paranoid and way over sensitive about things.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Just for the record, the above like never ever happens. Every utility, program, app, website that I have seen a brother create for our benefit has been trustworthy and beneficial.

If the app author for the program above decided to start tarnishing the theocratic material in his program with falsehoods, somebody would recognize it very quickly and word would spread through emails, the various JW discussion boards and mailing lists including this one, as well as through social networks. News travels fast today.

You say "We can't be cautious enough", and while in principle this is true, we can be overly paranoid and way over sensitive about things.

in the past, before wol, there were fewer sources for wt material. now the number has increased a lot. if I type "jw" in android market the number of apps is enormous! this, to me, just doesn't seem all of them are from brothers willing to help others...

for example, there is a guy who sells several apps (one for daily text, one for reasoning...etc) all 3€ each. The willing I see there is just to earn money....

Then I see brothers that goes to youtube searching for our videos and post them on facebook... or are friends of facebook pages like jw.org (yes, exactly jw.org) or jw-reader... and then they post on facebook news from those sites with the news from the ofitial site...

I'm seeing that lots of people are relying more on outer sources than on the ofitial one... and if now this outer sources are the same as the official one, if all of a sudden, in the future, the things become different, those relying to much on an outer source wont be aware of the changes! That's what scares me... :eek:

but you are right... I may be just too much paranoid :blush:

Edited by jayrtom

in the past, before wol, there were fewer sources for wt material. now the number has increased a lot. if I type "jw" in android market the number of apps is enormous! this, to me, just doesn't seem all of them are from brothers willing to help others...

for example, there is a guy who sells several apps (one for daily text, one for reasoning...etc) all 3€ each. The willing I see there is just to earn money....

There is no crime in charging for a product or service. If a brother writes a fine app and wants to license it for a fee, that is okay with me.

I use WT Player (formerly JW Player) - it had costed $1.99 and was worth every penny. It's much better than JW Podcaster which is an eyesore on my device. Plus, I don't like his whiney boy attitude when he blurts his personal opinion "It's a disgrace that some make money off of apps like this" on the product description page.

I am the public talk coordinator in my congregation and I use a Windows program called Kingdom Hall Schedules. It's a free download, but if you want to get software upgrades, certain features, and tech support he wants a "donation" of $25 per year. I happily pay this fee.

Then I see brothers that goes to youtube searching for our videos and post them on facebook... or are friends of facebook pages like jw.org (yes, exactly jw.org) or jw-reader... and then they post on facebook news from those sites with the news from the ofitial site...

The news from the official site are press releases, and can generally be republished in any other journal or periodical I believe (you'll see the same District Convention article republished across several dozen newspapers around the world, for example).

I agree about the videos though, because that comes down to copyright (the same issue that the author of this app will be facing of he decides to incorporate WT Library Data in it). If a video is on jw.org - why upload it to YouTube or Facebook then? Probably just for one's own self-glorification - "Look, I uploaded this video. Aren't I just a spiritual superman?" :P So you want to share a video? Well, post the link then :)

I'm seeing that lots of people are relying more on outer sources than on the ofitial one... and if now this outer sources are the same as the official one, if all of a sudden, in the future, the things become different, those relying to much on an outer source wont be aware of the changes! That's what scares me...

but you are right... I may be just too much paranoid

I still don't think that is the case. Everyone knows JW.org is the official source for literature and information, and I think most of us keep up to date with what is made available there.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Really there is nothing wrong with that, and sometimes I do, but the epub publications come with a link to the scriptures, that makes it really easy to go back and forth from paragraph to scripture. Obviously the brothers feel that is OK because the link in done when the mags are set up for us to download. For me it comes down to how much I have to carry to the meetings. Grumpy carries books and they weight about 15 lbs in his case. Mine weight maybe 3 lbs in my case including my wallet. :wub:

I don't know if the link is in PDF mags or not. :surrender:

Edited by GrumpysWife

Forgot something

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• 1 month later...

The isilo WT Library is still available through meekspace as are all the publications. We were just asked to remove "Complete publications" from our direct download databases. Since we complied with the Branches request to remove the publications, we went ahead and removed ALL the files including the isilo library files which had not been mentioned. We are now filling request for them via email. If there is anything you need, log into meekspace and go to the "file request" forum and request what you want and include your email address. We will fill the request and then delete it and your address.

Musky - I forgot my Meekspace FTP sign on information! What's a gal to do? Lol

Voni in NC

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

Musky - I forgot my Meekspace FTP sign on information! What's a gal to do? Lol

Voni in NC

Click login then near the boxes where you should enter your credentials there should be a link that says something like this "I forgot my password"... Click on it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta