JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Wt Biblelibrary - English - (Android)

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3964 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I don't think it's good to use any offline app that has the watchtower materials. The isilo version of it is the only one that has some kind of approval to exist. You could download it on the site meekspace.com but as of now it is no longer available as for the request of the society - so we see it's a big issue for the brothers (and you can think of lots of reasons why)

anyway you can grab a copy of the isilo files if you talk to a trusted brother that has it

the best way for an app with be one that comes with no files but once instaled and conect to a pc and imports the cd-rom files localy (similar to the pocket pc app that comes from the society)

This is not the WTlib, this is just a search fonction in a NWT Bible.

An official app would be so cool for offline usage...

if it's just a search function where does it searches? if it's offline than the search source is offline!

the society doesn't want this information on any other site besides the ofitial one

It's the same as the videos of the jw site being posted on youtube... and worst, by brothers! and worst, those youtube videos being posted on facebook by brothers for they facebook friends! what's the point on that?

I know this matter would give a thread of long beards :wink:

I may sound over exaggerating and this might look as a tiny detail (and it's not) but if we not follow on the minimum how can we follow on the greater things?

extract from the terms of use of wol.jw.org

"By downloading such materials from this site, visitors agree not to post these materials on the Internet or on any other electronic network."

sorry for my words but don't want to do anything more than sahare my opinion :)

everibody do what their constience tells him to do...

Edited by jayrtom

It's a basic search fonction in the Bible only. So this is ok for me.

I agree. If it was an app for the WT Library with all the data offline, the author would be breaking some agreements he had with Jehovah's organization (doesn't mean I wouldn't use it, but he would be a naughty boy) :P

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

It's a basic search fonction in the Bible only. So this is ok for me.

Sorry to insist but it can't be just a search function because it has 4mb size (the size I would expect on the zipped bible data)

the author has plans of adding lots more informations in violation of society requests...

if you really want the wol website there are tools to grab a complete website and put it offline in your phone memory

I didn't tried it my self and don't know if the brothers have restritions on this procedure. But I used it in other database sites...

just don't put the data on the internet and use it for yourself - google for "save website for offline reading"

Pull the website on my tablet great idea !

Unless you tablet runs Windows, I don't think this method will work. Unless there is an Android or Apple version of the software (whichever tablet you have).

Unless you tablet runs Windows, I don't think this method will work. Unless there is an Android or Apple version of the software (whichever tablet you have).

you just do it first on a pc then copy the files to the phone and open with a regular browser or html reader

you just do it first on a pc then copy the files to the phone and open with a regular browser or html reader

That would work for saving a web page to view offline, but saving the whole WOL database with all links and search functions intact would be a different matter, wouldn't it?

That would work for saving a web page to view offline, but saving the whole WOL database with all links and search functions intact would be a different matter, wouldn't it?

I don't know it will work for wol :wink:

but I tried that for a similar reference website for work and it works

the software goes trough the first page we indicate, then opens all the links on that page and on the subsequent pages (we configure how deep we want to go) and on the way it saves every page with every link referenced to the top folder we choosed. we can than move the folder (filled with regular html files) everywhere want.

it works also for java, flash, images... anything in the website

edit: just found an app on market that seems to do the job

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.nikodroid.offline

Edited by jayrtom

indeed, the search functions may not work... but we can implement it with the app we use to browse (just wont be categorized...) Only trying we can know what can be done with this method...

indeed, the search functions may not work... but we can implement it with the app we use to browse (just wont be categorized...) Only trying we can know what can be done with this method...

ok, I've tried and it works. Just tried the android app and because it is limited on the level of links it can grab, it's not possible to download the entire site at once. But it's possible to do it by sections (bible, insight, wt's, etc...)

I'll post a tuturial later

Sorry to insist but it can't be just a search function because it has 4mb size (the size I would expect on the zipped bible data)

the author has plans of adding lots more informations in violation of society requests...

If it is zipped Bible data, I could care less. I'm using iSilo, my wife and kids use an NWT app downloaded from the Google Play market, both of which are TONS easier to use at meeting than the downloadable NWT PDF available at jw.org

Before the tablet era, I had the NWT data extracted and added to some 3rd party Bible Study programs so I could create my own parallel Bible that included the NWT. It was fantastic.

If this guy ends up putting the WT Library into an application and distributes it on his own, then he is a naughty boy, but I will grab the application before the Branch forces him to pull it down. ;)

Edited by Dismal_Bliss

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

If this guy ends up putting the WT Library into an application and distributes it on his own, then he is a naughty boy, but I will grab the application before the Branch forces him to pull it down. ;)

Totally in agreement with you, Bob. Before wol, there was an Insight book app on the app store and a Reasoning Book app. Before there was the daily text in PDF, there was a daily text app. I used all of them until better apps came out, even when they were pulled from the app store.

Just for everyone's information though, the society is not against applications which use data directly copied from wol. In fact, they feel this is respecting their copyright. Such apps are not in violation of copyright law for two reasons.

1. Some apps are simply an interface to access the online material more easily.

2. The apps which store this material offline are first downloading the material off wol. So there is no question of the material being altered in any way or said materials being used without their permission.

Hope this helps.

ok, I've tried and it works. Just tried the android app and because it is limited on the level of links it can grab, it's not possible to download the entire site at once. But it's possible to do it by sections (bible, insight, wt's, etc...)

I'll post a tuturial later

The isilo Library is a lot less work, runs surprisingly well and has a great search by subject function and is approved by the Branch. I'll stick with that! :)

I miss my combined study watchtower in iSilo. I will try this for the study mags and let you know.

Jaytrom, Which app are you using for windows?

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

The isilo Library is a lot less work, runs surprisingly well and has a great search by subject function and is approved by the Branch. I'll stick with that! :)

I have isilo also but it costed me 20€

according to the meekspace it's no longer available (maybe in a personal basis)

if it's available it's in general the best option

but what I use the most is the wol site. I have a mobile plan with traffic so I'm always on

regarding apps that serve just as an interface to the site there are a huge amount of it... but they either cost money or have publicity... and the official site is already simple and straightforward enough

if the app fetches info from the site it should be no problem but I don't know any that does that for the library (excepting for pdf magazines or mp3)

this is not the case with the app linked above witch brings the info already embedded

Whatever the case there is a big concern for ME for any app that comes from unknown sources:

with the world near the end there is a growing amount of false things on the internet. It starts with money related issues... Several people lost their money because they entered on a site that was exactly like the bank's site but was a bogus site! others had they bank card copied because they entered the card on a machine that was exactly like the bank machine but wasn't!

I think our enemies, that want nothing more than our destruction, that multiply theyre sites like cancer cells, can do the same thing in trying to rip us from our rich food.

We can't be cautious enough!

The best and most secure way is go directly to the source

I can be exaggerating and I don't know if any specific app does this ... but I don't know the opposite either! Instead of showing info from the official site they can show a different info and you are not aware of that! They can even show the real thing for a while to gain your thrust and than start showing the wrong without you noticing...

so, the best way for me would be an app that reads the data from the CD-ROM (similar to how the isilo database was made) or just save the wol website for offline use - this can be accomplished directly on the mobile with offline browser or better on the pc with plenty of choices...

or better on the pc with plenty of choices...

What is your software option of choice on a PC for pulling a site so it can be viewed off-line?

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

according to the meekspace it's no longer available (maybe in a personal basis)

The isilo WT Library is still available through meekspace as are all the publications. We were just asked to remove "Complete publications" from our direct download databases. Since we complied with the Branches request to remove the publications, we went ahead and removed ALL the files including the isilo library files which had not been mentioned. We are now filling request for them via email. If there is anything you need, log into meekspace and go to the "file request" forum and request what you want and include your email address. We will fill the request and then delete it and your address.

The isilo WT Library is still available through meekspace as are all the publications. We were just asked to remove "Complete publications" from our direct download databases. Since we complied with the Branches request to remove the publications, we went ahead and removed ALL the files including the isilo library files which had not been mentioned. We are now filling request for them via email. If there is anything you need, log into meekspace and go to the "file request" forum and request what you want and include your email address. We will fill the request and then delete it and your address.

Oh, didn't get that... thanks for the update :)