JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Can I Erase All I've Done On A Laptop?

You can do a complete re-install using the operating system disk (CD or DVD). This will reformat the hard drive and bring the computer back to the way it was when you first bought it. Now, if the FBI wanted to retrieve any deleted data, they might be able to if it hasn't be written over, but that is very unlikely :)

Just remember, if you re-install Windows, you will lose ALL files and programs except what came with the computer.

Some computers have a recovery disk right on the computer. Mine is with the icon, My Computer and it is called Recovery (D). I haven't had to do one on this computer with Win 7, but I did with my last one using a recovery disk I found on the internet. Just make sure you keep your Windows key numbers and when you are done it asks for these numbers. I did a friends for him and used this method also, but of course the computer geeks here can give the best advice. :wub:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

OK windows 7:

If you go to the control panel - look for "Recovery" and then select "Advanced Recovery Methods"

There are 2 options there - if you use the second "Reinstall Windows" that will erase everything (at least it will ask you if you want to erase everything - click YES! ).

note: you will need your windows 7 disk. If you bought the PC with Windows 7 - try option 1 (Disk Image) first. All the major manufacturers store an image of windows 7 on the PC - just for this occasion.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Your system should also let you make a set of recovery disks that just contain Windows and whatever programs came pre-installed on your computer. It's an easy process which will ask you to put in blank CD's as needed. I know mine took five CD's to hold the recovery files.

Then you use those to re-install the system as Jery suggests.

I'd like to just do a clean sweep of everything .I want it empty.

Can I do that myself?Can anyone bring that stuff I've deleted backup?

Information on a hard drive can always be retrieved even if you do a clean wipe. There are three ways in which to get rid of data on your computer hard drive: degaussing the hard drive, physically destroying the HD, or erasing the drive using a hard drive eraser.

So if your selling your computer or throwing out your hard drive, I recommend destroying the platters inside the hard drive to avoid any chance of anyone retrieving old data you may have had (bank account access, email passwords). Chances of anyone of doing this to you is probably low but why risk it. I have always destroyed my hard drive platters if a hard drive has died or whatnot.

NSA destroys their 30,000 a year hard drives to a fine powder, because that's how easy it is to retrieve info.

ku-xlarge.jpg