JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

IRS move to revoke federal non-profit status for churches, synagogues and mosques that do not perform same-sex marriage.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3951 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/06/26/IRS-could-revoke-non-profit-for-religious-institutions

Based on Wednesday’s Supreme Court ruling, in which the Court majority determined that the Defense of Marriage Act’s federal definition of marriage had to incorporate state-based same-sex marriages, Internal Revenue Service regulations could be modified to remove non-profit status for churches across the country.

The DOMA decision makes clear that marriage is a state-to-state issue, meaning that religious institutions that receive non-profit status on the federal level but do not perform or accept same-sex marriages in states where it is legal could have non-profit status revoked. Furthermore, should the IRS move to revoke federal non-profit status for churches, synagogues and mosques that do not perform same-sex marriage more generally, the Court could easily justify that decision on the basis of “eradicating discrimination” in religious education.

In 1983, the Supreme Court ruled in Bob Jones University v. United States that it was within the scope of the First Amendment’s protections for religion for the IRS to revoke the tax exempt status for the university based on its policy prohibiting interracial dating. The Court determined that the “Government has a fundamental, overriding interest in eradicating racial discrimination in education … which substantially outweighs whatever burden denial of tax benefits places on [the university’s] exercise of their religious beliefs.”

The Supreme Court is clearly leaning toward a similar move here. The Court stated in Romer v. Evans (1996) that states could not take measures to prevent future distinction of gays and lesbians as a protected class under state law; in Lawrence v. Texas (2003) the Court ruled that same-sex sexual activity was Constitutionally protected; in the DOMA case on Wednesday, the Court ruled that DOMA was unconstitutional not merely on federalism grounds, but because it violated the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment and the due process clause of the Fifth Amendment.

On the state level, a movement is already under way to revoke non-profit status for religious organizations that do not abide by the same-sex marriage. In Massachusetts in 2006, Boston Catholic Charities withdrew from adoption services thanks to the state mandate on same-sex adoptions, rather than fight the issue in court. In California, a bill is already making its way through the legislature to bar non-profit status for any religious youth group that discriminates on the basis of “gender identity, race, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, or religious affiliation.”

Edited by Dismal_Bliss

Moved to the News forums, because this topic is about a piece of journalism.

In California, a bill is already making its way through the legislature to bar non-profit status for any religious youth group that discriminates on the basis of “gender identity, race, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, or religious affiliation.”

I'm waiting for the government to do the same with any religious organisation.  I think in Canada you're not even allowed to preach anything anti-gay from the pulpit, that it amounts to 'hate speech'...but Sharon might know for sure.  Sharon, can you help me out here?  :)

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

I'm waiting for the government to do the same with any religious organisation.  I think in Canada you're not even allowed to preach anything anti-gay from the pulpit, that it amounts to 'hate speech'...but Sharon might know for sure.  Sharon, can you help me out here?  :)

Canada has actually arrested priests for giving sermons on homosexuality as have several other countries.

http://christiannews.net/2012/07/10/intolerant-police-shut-down-canadian-preacher-for-sharing-gospel-with-homosexuals/

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/archive//ldn/2005/sep/05091407

http://chalcedon.edu/Research/Articles/Swedish-Pastor-Faces-Jail-For-Preaching-Against-Homosexuality/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/7668448/Christian-preacher-arrested-for-saying-homosexuality-is-a-sin.html

I've always thought that the day would come that the FDS would be faced with the issue of homosexuality head on.  As more and more false religion accepts gays into their throngs, the more we stand apart.  Worldly people I've talked say they don't have a problem with homosexuality, they gays aren't hurting them, and to each his own. I can definitely see the world attacking JW's because we teach "hate".  hahahaha!  what a joke!

This latest news is so expected by me.   If they remove the IRS status from religious organizations, I wouldn't be surprised if many of them accept gays in order to keep their status.  Of course, the FDS won't accept them, and we may be the only ones who don't!!

Edited by zoebarry

I've always thought that the day would come that the FDS would be faced with the issue of homosexuality head on.  As more and more false religion accepts gays into their throngs, the more we stand apart.  Worldly people I've talked say they don't have a problem with homosexuality, they gays aren't hurting them, and to each his own. I can definitely see the world attacking JW's because we teach "hate".  hahahaha!  what a joke!

This latest news is so expected by me.   If they remove the IRS status from religious organizations, I wouldn't be surprised if many of them accept gays in order to keep their status.  Of course, the FDS won't accept them, and we may be the only ones who don't!!

That's all very possible - Somewhere I heard that BTG will be the first to go however, can anyone validate that?

That's all very possible - Somewhere I heard that BTG will be the first to go however, can anyone validate that?

Sure, try the July watchtower and Jesus prophecy . This is paragraph 6

What will signal the start of the great tribulation? Jesus foretold: “When you catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation, as spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in a holy place, (let the reader use discernment,) then let those in Judea begin fleeing to the mountains.” (Matt. 24:15, 16) In the first fulfillment, the “standing in a holy place” occurred in 66 C.E. when the Roman army (“the disgusting thing”) attacked Jerusalem and its temple (a place holy in the eyes of the Jews). In the larger fulfillment, the “standing” will occur when the United Nations (the modern-day “disgusting thing”) attacks Christendom (which is holy in the eyes of nominal Christians) and the rest of Babylon the Great. The same attack is described at Revelation 17:16-18. That event will be the beginning of the great tribulation.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

As it will be BtG FIRST and in light of what is posted here - it must be ready to start any day now :bouncing:

I am tired of working for this world - bring on the New one!

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)