JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Magnitude 8.9 Quake Hits Japan

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4785 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coincidentally, my wife is visiting Japan right now. She is safe, though the phone systems are down. Lots of aftershocks, one even being 7.1.

That had to be a real sigh of relief for you Bryan!

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Coincidentally, my wife is visiting Japan right now. She is safe, though the phone systems are down. Lots of aftershocks, one even being 7.1.

That had to be a real sigh of relief for you Bryan!

Thanks for the love and the prayers!

awful , but has been said underlining where we are in the stream brothers and sisters.

i do find death tolls totally pointless at this time... it will be 1000's so i dont see the point in the bbc and other news networks saying its 10 dead, 20 dead... its now 40 dead.. etc...

anyway, lets hope its not tens of thousands

its coming...

brotherly love stuart

Very true. Although to be fair, if a news station said "We're not going to speculate on death toll right now until a more clearer picture of the tragedy emerges", I'd probably switch to another news station so I can't blame them.

But this is a really shocking footage that we are seeing from Japan.

I certainly hope that people can deal with this as much as possible. I know its wishful thinking to wish that everyone is 'ok'. Sad times.

I was in Tokyo when it happened. Pretty scary !

Some of the Brothers were at a Elders School so it had to be cancelled.

I was stranded in Tokyo as the trains stopped running completely.

Finally made it home after about 12 hours.

But it seems Tokyo escaped the worst of the effects.

I hear that the branch is already arranging relief workers to help the Brothers and Sisters, although it is early days yet.

We are praying fervently to Jehovah to sustain our Brothers and sisters who were in the areas most affected.

I will try to give updates on the situation here as much as I can

I was in Tokyo when it happened. Pretty scary !

Some of the Brothers were at a Elders School so it had to be cancelled.

I was stranded in Tokyo as the trains stopped running completely.

Finally made it home after about 12 hours.

But it seems Tokyo escaped the worst of the effects.

I hear that the branch is already arranging relief workers to help the Brothers and Sisters, although it is early days yet.

We are praying fervently to Jehovah to sustain our Brothers and sisters who were in the areas most affected.

I will try to give updates on the situation here as much as I can

Thank you so much for the updates brother. I've heard news reports that there were some "weather anomalies"

before the quake even in Tokyo, like a downpour in a clear sky... can you confirm anything strange happening before?

We've heard about earthquakes in times past that animals somehow can "feel" the earthquake coming on a few minutes before, etc.

In any case, we will all be praying earnestly for the well-being our our united world-wide brotherhood and all those suffering

the effects of this string of natual disasters. (Haiti, Chile, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan)

To demonstrate the power and longevity of this Tsumani, 15 hours after the Quake the Tsumani hit the Oregon coast traveling 4800 miles.

http://www.kgw.com/video?id=117833674&sec=547977

Our prayers are with our brothers in Japan. May Jehovah be with them and bring them comfort and hope.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

explode.jpg

The horrible earthquake disaster continues... there's been an explosion at one of the Nuclear Power plants.

It's located at Fukushima Dai-ichi plant.

IWAKI - An explosion at a nuclear power station Saturday destroyed a building housing the reactor amid fears that it was close to a disastrous meltdown after being hit by a powerful earthquake and tsunami.

Friday's double disaster, which pulverized Japan's northeastern coast, has left 574 people dead by official count, although local media reports said at least 1,300 people may have been killed.

Tokyo Power Electric Co., the utility that runs the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant, said four workers had suffered fractures and bruises and were being treated at a hospital. A nuclear expert said a meltdown may not pose widespread danger.

-http://www.nzherald.co.nz/japan-tsunami/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503051&objectid=10711892

Fortunately brothers there is apparently not much to worry about in the case of the power plant, various news services and Japanese officials say it is a light water plant - so there should be no "Chernobyl" if the worst happens. Chernobyl was a heavy water reactor, one of the most dangerous types, while this one is light water and as long as the containment shield holds there will be no serious effect. If the shield breaks the radiation still should be restricted to a 9.6 kilometre (6 mile) radius.

On the quake front I have been getting tweets from the USGS pointing to their site, what is interesting is the quakes elsewhere at the moment. In the past 24+ hours the following have been recorded:

5.7 2011/03/12 01:17:41 -16.661 -173.066 31.5 TONGA

6.1 2011/03/12 01:19:07 -16.727 -173.174 10.9 TONGA

5.5 2011/03/12 04:04:49 -2.994 139.126 48.3 NEAR THE NORTH COAST OF PAPUA, INDONESIA

5.0 2011/03/12 08:38:40 -20.311 -176.185 229.3 FIJI REGION

5.0 2011/03/12 08:45:30 -7.239 129.151 186.4 KEPULAUAN BABAR, INDONESIA

5.2 2011/03/12 09:51:35 -3.790 151.443 10.0 NEW IRELAND REGION, PAPUA NEW GUINEA

I'm not an expert on these things but it appears that these are all on or near the edge of the Pacific plate and that these are all related to the subduction movement that caused the Sendai quake yesterday. The news yesterday was that three volcanoes erupted at roughly the same time as the quake - one in Indonesia and two in Kamchatka, Russia.

I am reading this now...

Quake moved Japan coast 8 feet; shifted Earth's axis

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.earthquake.tsunami.earth/?hpt=T2

It is amazing how powerful this quake was - they were saying on the news yesterday that the West Coast of the US had risen a small amount because of it.

This is huge !

I read several articles where it said that the amount of energy this quake was is equal to the amount of energy the US uses in one month. I can't even comprehend how much that must be.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake

Guess the next thing is going to be the nuclear reactors. But from the sound of the article, it's not something to worry about now.

Just realized that some of you already posted this. LOL... Man I am slow.

I got to thinking... people are scared now. This is just a taste of Jehovah's magnificent power. Just imagine what is going to happen in his great day!!! Everyone wants to say "mother nature's fury". Just imagine what they will think when that sign in the heavens lets us all know it is Jehovah. People are going to have a heart attack! Everytime I think about it, I get the knot in my stomach, not out of fear but out of excitement. The knot you get in your stomach as you anxiously wait for your wedding day to approach, or for the single ones here, as you wait for your day of baptism. Oh....... I have been having that knot EVERY day lately. People are going to be so distracted by everything coming at once, they are not going to be prepared for the "thief in the night!"

I have just heard that one of the reactors is in meltdown... so that is something to worry about...especially if you happen to live there.

They also say that the earth has moved by 4 inches on its axis.....lets hope it the opposite way that it moved when the earthquake occur ed in Sri Lanka.. !! if so it will be back where it should be :D

They have also stated that this will affect the way the tides will rise and fall .. :(

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

This one article said the following:

"The quake occurred as the Earth's crust ruptured along an area about 250 miles (400 kilometers) long by 100 miles (160 kilometers) wide, as tectonic plates slipped more than 18 meters (59 feet), said Shengzao Chen, a USGS geophysicist." Another one stated that it split the earth's crust 150 miles long and 50 miles wide. This is huge. Can't help but wonder.

Another one stated that it split the earth's crust 150 miles long and 50 miles wide. This is huge. Can't help but wonder.

yes i heard them say this on the news and wondered what effect this would have going forward...not good im sure hmmmmm.

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!