JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Southern Hemisphere Envy ;)

Dianne - I was born in Canada (near Toronto).

Always thought I'd been kidnapped as a baby from a warm country! B)

I emigrated to Australia with a computer company years ago.

The company went under, and I stayed.

I've been in this town now over 20 years - and no moving in sight.

I've had enough moving around!

i have always imagined i would live in australia........i will some day, in the new world ahead of us! we will have time to explore every inch of this earth!

i married a hometown boy with deep roots. before that, i was raised in the air force and we moved all over the place. my parents got divorced and we settled here in california on the central coast. i actually appreciate the weather here most of the time. our cold weather isn't cold compared to other areas. we are sort of always 65 to 75 degrees with some much warmer days in summer and fall. we have had 80 degree weather in november and december before!

Dianne,

It's surprising but so much of the Australian countryside is much like California!

Gum trees (eucalypts) are prevalant in both countries - but it seems Koalas are only in Oz.

If you can't get here in this system - you'll have a great time in the new system!

Your sis,

Lori

... it will be a lovely day if it ever rains, as it is forecast to do, but for now despite the nice temperature you sweat just sitting down.

Ahhhh! :sunshine:

I loathe summer, whether it is humid or not.

:eek:

My helper at work is the same way. The 12" of snow outside is paradise in his mind. It's a living nightmare for me.

Over summer all he did was complain about the heat, and that I preferred to have my windows down and not use the air conditioning.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Ohhh yeah!!!! You live where it doesn't stay cold for 6 months out of the year no wonder you like it. LOL

You can have five months of my cold weather. I have to admit though for being in Maine, and it being Dec we've got very very very little snow. I was told our temp is dropping to 5-15 tonight and 0 tomorrow night. Here in the past our temp were about 20 below at night and barely makeing it to 0 during the day. Two years ago I flew out of Portland Me and the temp at the airport that morning was -26, the northern part of our territory(which is 75 miles north of us, and touching Canada) that morning was -46.

Yes please be a dear brother and take the five months of my winter.....??????

I hate the COLD weather, I live up here in Maine, so I might as well suck

it up and get over it. LOL I too worry about winter blues and depression,

last year we changed the light bulbs in our house to those outdoor

lightbulbs (or natural light, can't remember for sure what their called) I

tan in the winter here and there, and I take vitamen D. My husband born

and raised here in Maine and he says he dislikes the south, plus I don't

think he really understands winter depression........ sooo here we are!!!

I've lived in the midwest St.Louis, Mo. area Cahokia Il and I've lived in

the Mobile Al. area..... guess where my favorite is? LOL yep way down

south.

I too worry about winter blues and depression,

last year we changed the light bulbs in our house to those outdoor

lightbulbs (or natural light, can't remember for sure what their called) I

tan in the winter here and there, and I take vitamen D.

2 years ago I would OD on vitamin D and it may have done me well, because last winter I was a wreck (I have a thread around here called "Midlife Crisis" which I posted around the time of my breaking point). I'll have to stock up on some extra D to go along with my multi and glucosamine which I have been doing well with lately.

I need to invest in those lamps too. I've heard they actually work.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

my mother suffers from SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and she uses her lamp daily. it seems to help her! also, as much as i hate tanning beds. they do lift your spirits. i feel a funk hit every february and a trip or two for a short session seems to help. it is the UV fix that seems to make the difference!

Ahhhh! :sunshine:

Heh, we are finally getting some sunshine for the first time in a couple of weeks - it's 27C with 62% humidity and we are looking at a top of 30C.

My helper at work is the same way. The 12" of snow outside is paradise in his mind. It's a living nightmare for me.

Over summer all he did was complain about the heat, and that I preferred to have my windows down and not use the air conditioning.

I don't know about large amounts of snow - the last time I lived anywhere that snows regularly I was six and that place had warmed up significantly (until recently since the average world temps are on the decline again as they were in 1976). Most of the places I have lived have average daily temps in winter of about 10-15C and night time temps between -2 to 5C but no snow, so I haven't been in really cold areas. But that really is my idea of paradise, days about 15-20C and cold, cold nights where I can snuggle down into the doona and sleep and even better yet, not wake up soaked in sweat because the night is 25C or 30C as it often is in January. :eek:

I'd love to visit the snow but not live in areas with large amounts of snow - especially since they are now predicting a 30 year mini-ice age is coming thanks to a drop in solar activity and the start of a strong La Nina effect. Brrr.

I'm not sure how much any of it (lamps,tanning bed,vit D) really help but I figure it sure can't hurt. I don't remember who it was but someone on here said they only way they like the cold is when they are in a nice warm cozy cabin with a fire place, now that I would like for a bit. Then I'd want to go out to the nice tropical weather. My idea of paradise is the tropics,with the ocean beautiful blue water. The tropical lands, I think are the most people's ideal of paradise because those are the big vacation spots don't you agree?

Interesting to see the New System.

Hello, this is my first post. As I write, it is 21 deg C and raining in Gippsland Vic Australia. Yesterday it was a sunny 28 C, so not sure where our summer is :upsidedown: but I'm sure it's going to roast us soon. Thinking of all as they witness in the cold winter and snow, don't know how they do it, it can only be love for Jehovah and neighbour, and of course Luke 11:13.

Corvus - we are getting lots of humidity this year. We had a brother visit last week from your area, Lewis C he is about 21. We showed him around our area and he stayed the night. It was pouring with rain and cold but we still managed to walk through the local rain forest.

Dianne - I'm with you, not liking the cold weather as I get older either. So glad we have rural areas to witness in if the weather is terrible. Although last week it was pouring (bucketing down) we arrived at a gate and our only Bro in the car bravely got out to open it as a lighting strike struck in the area, it lit him up, thankfully he was safe and we continued on up the driveway :eek: reminds me of the song Bravely Press On :D

love to all H

Welcome Helen! ---> :welcome:

reminds me of the song Bravely Press On :D

Ha! Love it! That will be my wintertime theme song when we are all complaining :)

We got almost 2 foot of snow Monday and Tuesday. :hanged:

Heavy snow today in South Wales UK...

short clip of my dogs this morning....and it is still snowing....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ZghtMsPY4

Your dogs look so happy in the snow,my little doggy comes to a

screeching hault when I open the door and he sees snow I have to

drag him out in it to potty.I put a jacket on him but I think he needs booties.

He's definately a southern hemisphere pooch.

here in california that is like another planet! LOL!

Yes, I'll attest to that!.....

I was born and raised in Southern California, ...beaches, desert, the whole bit...

In '97, I moved to central eastern Calif(Colfax, 50miles east of Sacramento)

In May, this year, I moved here, Davenport Iowa-----in the last 2 weeks I have seen more snow and colder temps(20 below zeroF) than I have seen in all my previous 56 years on this planet........it is currently 14deg outside.....

Southern California sure is looking a whole lot better these days~~~lol....

• 2 years later...

Bob I just read this thread. Too Funny. I wish now I could be in the Northern hemisphere. Huh di. Huh! !!!!:D

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody."