JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Helpful Hints

THINGS YOUR MOTHER SHOULD OF TOLD YOU

1. Stuff a miniature marshmallow in the bottom of a sugar cone to prevent ice cream drips.

2. Use a meat baster to “squeeze” your pancake batter onto the hot griddle and you’ll get perfectly shaped pancakes every time....

3. To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes.

4. To prevent eggshells from cracking, add a pinch of salt to the water before hard-boiling.

5. Run your hands under cold water before pressing Rice Krispies treats in the pan and the marshmallow won’t stick to your fingers.

6. To get the most juice out of fresh lemons, bring them to room temperature and roll them under your palm against the kitchen counter before squeezing.

7. To easily remove burnt on food from your skillet, simply add a drop or two of dish soap and enough water to cover bottom of pan, and bring to a boil on the stovetop.

8. Spray your Tupperware with nonstick cooking spray before pouring in tomato-based sauces and there won’t be any stains.

9. When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking pan, use a bit of the dry cake mix instead and there won’t be any white mess on outside of the cake.

10. If you accidentally over-salt a dish while it’s still cooking, drop in a peeled potato and it will absorb the excess salt for an instant “fix me up.”

11. Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator and it will keep for weeks.

13. Place a slice of apple in hardened brown sugar to soften it.

14. When boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to help bring out the corn’s natural sweetness.

15. To determine whether an egg is fresh, immerse it in a pan of cool, salted water. If it sinks, it is fresh, but if it rises to the surface, throw it away.

16. Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away.

17. Don’t throw out all that leftover wine: Freeze into ice cubes for future use in casseroles and sauces.

18. If you have a problem opening jars: Try using latex dishwashing gloves. They give a non-slip grip that makes opening jars easy.

19. Potatoes will take food stains off your fingers. Just slice and rub raw potato on the stains and rinse with water.

20. To get rid of itch from mosquito bites, try applying soap on the area and you will experience instant relief.

21. Ants, ants, ants everywhere … Well, they are said to never cross a chalk line. So get your chalk out and draw a line on the floor or wherever ants tend to march. See for yourself.

22. Now look what you can do with Alka Seltzer. Clean a toilet. Drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets, wait twenty minutes, brush and flush. The citric acid and effervescent action clean vitreous china. Clean a vase. To remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase or cruet, fill with water and drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets. Polish jewelry. Drop two Alka-Seltzer tablets into a glass of water and immerse the jewelry for two minutes. Clean a thermos bottle. Fill the bottle with water, drop in four Alka-Seltzer tablets, and let soak for an hour (or longer, if necessary). Unclog a drain. Clear the sink drain by dropping three Alka-Seltzer tablets down the drain followed by a cup of Heinz White Vinegar. Wait a few minutes, then run the hot water.

♥✿´¯`*•.¸¸✿♥✿´¯`*•.¸¸✿♥✿´¯`*•.¸

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Love the tips Leslie Thanks.

do you know anything about removing paint from material.

My daughter went to some household paint. with her best dress for the meeting still on.

I got side tracked with another child.

& she spilt some on her dress. I have tried some things but still no good.?

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Love the tips Leslie Thanks.

do you know anything about removing paint from material.

My daughter went to some household paint. with her best dress for the meeting still on.

I got side tracked with another child.

& she spilt some on her dress. I have tried some things but still no good.?

I bought a product called WhipIt. I think they have a website too you can order from . I know it removes black metallic spray pain because it was demonstrated on white carpet, it smells amazing and I can buy it once a year at Sam's. it is concentrated so one bottle makes 66 bottles! It cleans do many things and he repels dogs from my leather sofa because it contains eucalyptus. I hope you try it.

LeslieDean

Leslie check the spelling so I can check it out, okey?

Never mind, I found it.

First try I found a website for Cannabis. Don't think that's what you meant, then again.........this is Leslie we're talking about............... :uhhuh:

Edited by GrumpysWife

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Haaaaa! I've always been a prude when it came to drugs or even smoking plain cigarettes --my dad got his bluff in on me early!

I just found it too, amazingwhipit.com. And it really is! All natural and makes the house smell wonderful if you like eucalyptus and I didn't think I did! I have cleaned our porcelain tile floors, leather furniture and sprayed it on my bedspread...now my dog won't jump up there but I suspect once he gets use to it and once to snuggle with me...he'll be back....just like Arnold S. I see it once a year at Sam's and then at the fair. I've been so pleased with it you would think I had stock in the company.

LeslieDean

Hey---I just saw their testimonial page and they have been on QVC! I have a big, old fat crush on QVC so they've got to be good!

Gabe it does (suppose) to remove paint. I know it worked on an old grease stain on a dress I loved but could not part with boy now I'm glad I didn't

Chris, it might be something you could use since it is all natural and no chemical additives or perfumes.

LeslieDean

• 3 years later...

Hints for re-using (instead of recycling or binning) mobile phones:

1. Make it kid friendly

You can lock down the settings on your old phone and make it into a kid-friendly entertainment device.

2. Turn your phone into a dedicated MP3 player

Instead of cluttering up your current phone's precious storage space with tens of gigs of music, fill up your old phone instead.  If you prefer to go with streaming music services, that's still fine on an old phone with no mobile data.  You can save music for offline use if you have a subscription to a streaming service with that feature — just download your playlists at home over wifi and then you'll have your collection on the go.

3. Listen to digital radio

If you're sitting out on the porch and want to listen to the radio you can use your old phone for that.  There are a lot of different radio apps available for both Android and iPhone, many of them free.  The apps will stream over your home wifi. No sim card or radio receiver needed.

4. Make the ultimate handheld gaming device

You can buy controllers or adapters that turn your old device into a much more comfortable and traditional game machine.  Android phones are best for this as they allow you to use an array of Bluetooth controllers you may already own, instead of a controllers made only to work with an iPhone.

5. Keep an eye on your home

An old phone can also be used as a cheap device to monitor your house.  

All you need is a spare phone, your choice of security camera app and a wall socket.

6. Secure your communications

There isn't any super sophisticated custom hardware involved here. We live in an age where everyday consumer devices offer full system encryption.  An old mobile phone, particularly an iPhone running iOS 8 or later, with no sim card is ok to use, even if you have to dig into the settings to disable GPS.

More info: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-06/ways-you-can-re-use-an-old-mobile-phone/8488540

I use one of my old phones as my alarm clock. It holds a charge for more than a week since it is no longer "looking for a signal" and I can program several alarms and use the one I need instead of keep changing the alarm for a different wake-up time.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~