JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Fake sign language interpreter at Mandella' s memorial

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3782 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I heard about this - I just wonder if it was a local sign language.

For example - there is ASL (or AMERICAN Sign Language) used in many English speaking countries, but I know there is a Vietnamese sign language that is TOTALLY different from ASL. It would look like gibberish to someone who spoke ASL (note - just like Vietnamese sounds :wink: )

Anyway - I wonder if he spoke a particular sign language that just wasn't recognized by the global media??

EDIT - but it looks like this article cleared that up:

Deaf groups say the man, who has not yet been identified, made no sense in any language to those relying on him around the world, and did not seem to know the recognised signs for South Africa, Mr Mandela’s clan name Madiba, President Jacob Zuma or former President Thabo Mbeki.

As a result, they say, he had the effect of marginalising the deaf community, which was “contrary to everything Mandela fought for”.

The embarrassing revelation also raises questions about the security at the landmark event, which was attended by 91 heads of state and government including Barack Obama and David Cameron.

Thank you for it

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

It looked to me as if he was using the same gestures over and over again.

The poor guy. Surely he wouldn't have voluntarily gone on stage for that type of event if he had no idea what he was doing.

It reminds me of the story about a guy who was mistaken for a guest expert (I can't remember in what field) and interviewed on a TV news show. He was waiting in the lobby when someone ushered him aside and shoved a camera in his face. The guy fumbled through the interview, obviously too embarrassed to point out their mistake - since he was on live TV. 

There is an easy way to test if he was having a "schizophrenic episode" or not, and that's to have him sign something else.

Edited by niall

Bingo!

On CNN this morning the commentator (on my Sirius) said the same thing, but apparently the guy first refused to tell his schooling then his credentials were with the now "missing" company he worked for, then he refused the CNN interviewer to give a demonstration of his abilities. THEN he said he had a schizo. episode. Oh man, :wall:  

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/12/world/africa/mandela-memorial-fake-intepreter/

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

It just reminded me of something I heard from a sister who was Pentecostal at one time. She was in the church when a big woman stood up when they were all 'getting the holy ghost' and speaking in tongues. The woman was saying, "Whooo Whoooo! Choooo Chooo!" She motioned all around the room moving like a train. The 'pastor' yelled how wonderful it was that 'sister so and so, was praising God in tongues!' Our sister watched the whole thing and laughed because it was very apparent the woman was acting like a train! She wasn't even saying words , but gibberish! LOL   :uhhuh:  :perplexed:  :shrugs:  :lol1:

It just reminded me of something I heard from a sister who was Pentecostal at one time. She was in the church when a big woman stood up when they were all 'getting the holy ghost' and speaking in tongues. The woman was saying, "Whooo Whoooo! Choooo Chooo!" She motioned all around the room moving like a train. The 'pastor' yelled how wonderful it was that 'sister so and so, was praising God in tongues!' Our sister watched the whole thing and laughed because it was very apparent the woman was acting like a train! She wasn't even saying words , but gibberish! LOL   :uhhuh:  :perplexed:  :shrugs:  :lol1:

:offtopic: Kinda off topic but my son went to a Pentacostal Church once because a pretty girl in his 11th grad class asked him.  It was his first and last time to go to one.  He said he attended on a "Foot Washing Service" night and he was horrified when he realized what they were doing.  I asked him if he participated and he said "NO!  You know what my feet are like when I wear my tennis shoes"  I still laugh when I think about that.

She never had anything to do with him after that.

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)